Liking Arturia JP8 update

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Liking Arturia JP8 update

Post by dante »

At last Arturia have brought JP8 up to date this century. Maybe they're trying to keep up w/- the u-He's of the world. I'm liking mod wheel controlling pan on a couple of the presets & other overall sound improvements incl dispersion. There was a small upgrade fee of maybe $50 aud
JP8
JP8
jp8-v4.gif (1.88 MiB) Viewed 1190 times
yayajohn

Re: Liking Arturia JP8 update

Post by yayajohn »

I have to admit that the "V" collection has evolved over the years. (i'm on version 7)
My favorite is the Mellotron. Such a cheesy sound but I love it! :lol: Sure wish companies like Arturia would stop catering to the cork sniffers and get past including the limitations of the actual instrument though esp when it comes to note range
I haven't been very interested in software analog models with the resurgence of hardware analog and of course Scope DSP but this collection is entertaining.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

I hear that the TAL Jupiter 8 emu is very decent. Personally though I am waiting for G- Force to port their Mac only OB-E to windows, which I guess must only be a matter of time. :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Glad to see fellow Scopers happy about making music.. :)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

t_tangent wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:42 pm I hear that the TAL Jupiter 8 emu is very decent.
Wow, didn´t know it exists,- thank you !
It seems to be the closest to the original, followed by Roland (Cloud) and the more or less Arturia "wannabe" .
I´ve just read (and listened to) this german test/comparison betwee these three and the original hardware.
https://www.amazona.de/test-tal-j-8-jup ... ia-roland/
t_tangent wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:42 pm Personally though I am waiting for G- Force to port their Mac only OB-E to windows, which I guess must only be a matter of time. :)
Yes, this is promising !
When I understoood correctly, they might need about half a year to come up w/ the Windows version.
Can´t wait.

:)

Bud
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Bud, Thanks for the amazona.de link which I read via google translate. Yes amazona.de has some interesting reviews.
Also good to know its only around 6 months for the Windows version of OB-E, although 6 days would have been better. :)

Dante, if you have the time to compare the TAL J8 demo with the Arturia update, we would be interested to hear what you think. :)
dante

Post by dante »

Not easily, I think TAL is VST3, whereas my DAW - Reason - only takes VST2. I could try it in Harrison, which now takes VST3, but I haven't set Harrison up for MIDI properly yet, so will experiment when I get bit more time.
valis

Post by valis »

There are a few wrappers that will convert VST3 to 2.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Don’t they usually have previous versions?
I always see options for 2/3, AAX, AU, etc.
dante

Post by dante »

VST2 ver for Linux only - not windows as far as I can tell. Ill leave the shootout to those that have VST3 host handy. Id say buyed TAL if you have VST3 host and not already bought into the Arturia ecosystem and want authenticity over FX.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:19 pm VST2 ver for Linux only - not windows as far as I can tell. Ill leave the shootout to those that have VST3 host handy. Id say buyed TAL if you have VST3 host and not already bought into the Arturia ecosystem and want authenticity over FX.
I doubt it´s VST3 only for Windows.

From manual:

Windows
Requirements:
- 64 bit sequencer software (VST 2.4, VST3 or AAX compatible)
- Windows 7 or newer

Installation:
- Download the file install_TAL-J-8.zip and unzip it.
- You can copy the plug-ins manually to your hosts VST directory or the VST3
version into the VST3 directory. The zip file contains all plug-ins. Our plug-ins
do not require the installer.
VST3 Directory:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
AAX Directory:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins

In addition, the plugin offers a MIDI Prg.-Change disabler parameter followed by the comment VST3 doesn´t support MIDI program changes.

For Mac, VST2.4 seems to be supported too.

Edit:
download the Windows zip file and unzip,- there´s a TAL-J-8 64.dll inside and in addition to VST3 and AAX.

:)

Bud