Server move soon (done)

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

valis

Server move soon (done)

Post by valis »

Things will be moving to a new server in a the next few weeks (hopefully next two). Last fall John's forum started to come under heavy load from repeated attempts to access it after a small review or interview...I forget where right now to be honest. That traffic took about 6 months to abate. This year we got hit pretty hard right around the time the lockdown went into full effect in the US the first time, which was also co-incident with the riots in several cities. Circumstantial perhaps, but we were under a pretty heavy load again the week of the elections.

Right now, the automated attempts to access the server are still around 10% of peak, which is about 10x higher than normal. It hasn't abated as much as I would like, and so in an effort to shore up security our provider has offered me a newer install for the same price. On the backend I'll be able to move a few packages forward that will make me feel better, and it will give us newer CPU's and probably more ram. We're already using mailchannels for filtering due to a high degreee of spam, and we were using cloudflare (invisible mode) the week of the DDOS's. There's been a few retailers DDOS'd this past week as well, and since this is largely automated from compromised shells & low end computers/routers, there's no telling what's really going on.

Now, one way to look at this is that the security concerns from these two hosts are placing more of a load on the server than we are in terms of other usages (aside from disk space). Once we have moved, my concerns will be eased and my budget will remain unchanged.

So, that's what's going on from my perspective. From your perspective, once I move my primary DNS over and populate all accounts, there should be little change noticed on your end. The downtime is all you're likely to see, hence this notice.
garyb

Re: Server move soon

Post by garyb »

thank you.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

:Thumbs Up:
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

+1

Thanks for all your hard work keeping the forum running. :)
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

t_tangent wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:19 pm +1

Thanks for all your hard work keeping the forum running. :)
Hope it all goes smoothly!
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
valis

Post by valis »

This is likely to happen either tonight/tomorrow morning, or certainly within the next 48-72 hours. Any downtime should be considered a good thing this time. :)
valis

Post by valis »

Server move is complete. Sorry Jimmy, you'll have to repost your first soundcard :)
garyb

Re: Server move soon (done)

Post by garyb »

ez
valis

Post by valis »

We now have access to OS support through 2024, more ram/cpu (same disk/bandwidth allocation) and most importantly OS-level support for things like PHP-FPM which can help mitigate issues from heavy server loads moving forward.
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

danke
Last edited by Spielraum on Tue May 11, 2021 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
valis

Post by valis »

dante

Post by dante »

Well Done on the move.