TC Electronic 8210-DT Reverb Plugin, AMAZING!

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Sounddesigner

TC Electronic 8210-DT Reverb Plugin, AMAZING!

Post by Sounddesigner »

TC Electronic has been releasing a bunch of Desktop Controlled plugins that is a brilliant concept. They are plugins sold with their own hardware controller at a low price. The hardware controller is basically free and you only pay for the plugin wich is same price as their ILOK counterparts. The DT controlled plugins are a way of owning TC Electronic's excellent plugins without needing the ILOK Dongle wich is a brilliant way to get dongle-haters like me on board. I bought the 8210-DT Controlled plugin reverb for about $100 6 months ago but could not get it to work on my old Windows 7 32-bit system likely due to old version of Sonar, but after upgrading to 64-bit world it works just fine and is a amazing plugin! The controller is its dongle so you only need PACE. PACE still sucks but is more tolerable without ILOK Dongle/Virtual-dongle and dealing with ILOK Account, fees, etc.

The 8210 is one of the most transparent reverbs i ever heard, really great at that invisible room sound. It is a very fluid and full of life sounding reverb that wraps around the original source very well and virtually does not change its color or other characteristics as it is extremely clean and transparent. A VERY lovely reverb that's one of the top out here IMO. It does'nt just do natural spaces like rooms or halls but also does the unnatural such as plates, springs, etc.

Nobody in Native world has a collection of plugin effects that rival TC Electronic IMO and it only grows as they port from their huge library of hardware, etc. The DT plugins are a great concept and are affordable controlled plugins. Other developers should copy this concept.

Here's audio demo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN3gajsaHMs

Here is Store info - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ed-plug-in

EDITED
dante

Re: TC Electronic 8210-DT Reverb Plugin, AMAZING!

Post by dante »

Good sound - great price.

Capitol Chambers is my go to - I basically havent used anything else since I got it :

https://youtu.be/niAcxT49EMM

Ive set mix and width to 100 and just left it there as a send fx on all mixes
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Gotta love those days-of-old Chambers. I really love many of the old Doo-Wop songs from around the 1950's wich vocals were seriously drenched in Chambers or Plates, such as 'Little Anthony and the Imperials (Tears on my pillow)', The Cleftones (Heart and Soul), and some of 'The Platters' songs. The Chambers and Plates REALLY HUGELY helped make the sound of that era and the vocals often were drenched in them. The old school reverberators really gave a magic to those old classic songs unlike the horribly abused Auto-tune of today wich is rather unpleasant.
dante

Post by dante »

I think Autotune is a great effect when the tune is devised around its use, eg if the singer is good at using it realtime specifically for some electro genre.

It just doesn't work on any vocal by just slapping it on there retrospectively (like reverb likely would).
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

dante wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:21 pm I think Autotune is a great effect when the tune is devised around its use, eg if the singer is good at using it realtime specifically for some electro genre.

It just doesn't work on any vocal by just slapping it on there retrospectively (like reverb likely would).

Sure, it's a tool thus like any other tool it can be great in the right hands, it just seems it's never in the right hands :D ..

What i meant with elaboration in my last post is that IMO music in general does not sound as good as it use to and Auto-tune is one of the main things that contribute significantly twards helping in defining this era of bad music (along with loudness, overprocessed, etc). Especially since it's so ubiquitis i.e. seemingly on every track even many where it should'nt be used or used to the degree it's used. Reverb was a major key contributer in defining past era's like the 1950's and 80's. IMO Reverb is a far more natural sounding and far more general purpose tool wich allows it to go on almost every track without causing harm even when seriously abused with heavy use. Reverb IMO is the most essential effect in Audio Production, i'm sure most people will agree it's atleast one of the most important whether it's a real-world space creating it or a mechanical device, sounds need a enviroment/space. Autotune everywhere starts to sound ear fatiguing to me when heavily used, and another problem is people seem to use it as a crutch rather than improving their singing by learning to naturally stay in pitch/key better.

But ultimately i agree with you when used the right way at the right time it can sound great. I thought the originator of it 'Cher' who we can call the mother of the autotune era huge hit in 1999 'Life after love' sounded GREAT being abused by autotune and IMO is a masterpiece. I know some people love this era of music and its autotune, loudness and over-processed sound and think people like me who prefer music of past era's are just old people romancing about past era's and just spouting out personal taste that's anachronistic with regards to past and present music and there may be some degree of truth to that but it is what i believe.

EDITED
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

TC Algos are really good.
I plan on getting this once I get the next CPU, likely the Cezanne APU 6/8 core.
My Quads are getting smacked @ 80% day in day out.

Cheerz
dante

Post by dante »

‘Believe’ is the name of the hit. I got the UAD version of auto tune then a few weeks later it came out as a rack extension in Reason, but I’d rather have the DSP based version.

Anyway when I get into using it, I will learn to use it real-time, singing whilst playing melody on keyboard. Just chucking it on a vocal already recorded gets inconsistent results - u gotta ‘play’ it live I’m thinking.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Yea, auto-tune and several other effects are pretty much instruments when played in realtime and DSP Platforms generally still best handle them. I think Protools TDM and Autotune both rode each other to glory. Many were upset when autotune was not coded to their newer HDX platform. I don't see how it benifits Reason much, but if it is cheaper as a RE then that is a good thing over VST's. But IMO Reason's true strenghths lie elsewhere.
dante

Post by dante »

Well Reason has had Neptune for ages which is pretty good.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yuze guys ought to try the EHX V256 for AutoTune with so many extras and variations.
It’s got MIDI too.

Just plug it into your mic Chain, then into the XITE 1 mic pre.
Even a Turkey like sounds good.

B279309F-4263-462F-B8F4-BE32AD82572A.jpeg
B279309F-4263-462F-B8F4-BE32AD82572A.jpeg (3.52 MiB) Viewed 1845 times
dante

Post by dante »

Looks good - guess I should actually use my Softube Vocoder & Antares Autotune stuff first though :wink:
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

TC Electronic has ported their high-end System 6000 hardware to Native VST'S. I guess Uli who owns Behringer and TC is out to conquer the plugin world and set TC above all competitors. Now you can get MD4, VSS4, and Nonlinear 2 as VST plugins for a cheap price of $699 for the whole bundle. The ports sound like legitamit attempts to be faithfull to the high-end. IMO TC has the best collection of plugin effects and they have just raised the stakes and made the game a lot tuffer. TC still has more they can port to Native VST and dont have to develop anything new.

https://www.tcelectronic.com/series.htm ... TIVESERIES
dawman

Post by dawman »

I used their ancient Fireworx which had a simple Hall that sounded great, ADAT & AES into Scope too.
Their 5000/6000 hardware is serious gear, if the plugs even get close Thats a great deal.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

dawman wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:35 pm I used their ancient Fireworx which had a simple Hall that sounded great,
Everything TC is releasing now is 'ancient' like your Fireworx. But those old algorithms sound like royalty and it takes hardware and plugins from many companies to even compete with them in an arena IMO. TC knew how to define high-end multiple decades ago while many have yet to figure out that riddle and are only slowly catching up. Those ancient algorithms are still tuff to beat, especially as a collection. I never owned the Fireworx but thought it sounded really nice and considered getting one.

TC is the first company in 15 years that got me seriously considering getting a dongle as much as i hate them, hopefully i can fight that off. Really hard to resist TC when it seems Izotope is trying to go totally subscription wich i hate more than dongles. Izotope bought the guy from Lexicon company and he's gone to another level recently, for his latest reverbs Nimbus and Neoverb do compete with TC and are truly supernal. Neoverb probally has the deepest scense of space like no other plugin reverb i've heard and is very dense and extremely unique sounding. I just bought it with my MPS bundle upgrade and may have to leave the communistic Izotope alone. Who recently became 'Woke' and far to the left mixing their political beliefs with their business model.

EDITED
dawman

Post by dawman »

IzoWoke.
Interesting details and the TC timeline.
Lexicon sold out to Harmon/Digidesign and started selling Lexicon w/ Digidesign chips.
They were okay but nothing like the PCM’s of yore.

Around the same time TC got serious about their reverbs and every SSL 4000G+ console came with TC and a Lexicon 480.
Been about 10 years since I had the pleasure of using that level of hardware.

Here’s the package. 480L and TC Main Frame.

0795A31C-73F9-49BD-A4B9-029ABA421B83.jpeg
0795A31C-73F9-49BD-A4B9-029ABA421B83.jpeg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 1405 times
96F4B617-2430-4459-BB61-69BF9D8E70EB.jpeg
96F4B617-2430-4459-BB61-69BF9D8E70EB.jpeg (149.2 KiB) Viewed 1405 times