2020 - What could be worse than pandemic ?

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

2020 - What could be worse than pandemic ?

Post by dante »

How bout this - fire at audio chip factory ! Converter supply chain impacted :-? :x

https://www.audioholics.com/news/fire-d ... ip-factory

Fire-vs-music
Fire-vs-music
fire-vs-music.jpg (44.19 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
Bud Weiser

Re: 2020 - What could be worse than pandemic ?

Post by Bud Weiser »

Wow !
What´s inside XITE-1(D) ?

... and A16U ?

:)

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

Sometimes insurance is a better ROI/Revenue stream.
Ankyu.
valis

Post by valis »

dawman wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:44 pm Sometimes insurance is a better ROI/Revenue stream.
Ankyu.
When I lived in rural Texas as a teen, we had a neighbor that took this route 3 times. 3rd time sadly wasn't the charm, and they were left with a burned home living in a doublewide behind it. So don't push the ROI too far :wink:
dawman

Post by dawman »

Gotta grease the local PD and cut in the insurance investigators on the 2nd & 3rd torch job.
This is the only reason I pay attention to politics.

Right now Bidens “advisers” are most of the Silicon Valley guys getting their cut of the action for funding the operations on County & State levels.
valis

Post by valis »

And for running the shadowbanning & algorithm-tweaking to ensure that reality tunnels remain as they 'should' be. Risk vs. reward & the payoff is high eh...
dante

Post by dante »

I hope Guitar Center make it through....

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/22/inve ... index.html
valis

Post by valis »

The loss to touring people with GC is that you won't know with a fair degree of confidence that if you buy a mass produced unit that's in one GC then you'll likely find it in a nearby city when on the road. Overnight is still costly for shipping.

Otherwise, the GC's I've been in were largely stuck in the showroom mode from decades ago, which has a certain appeal but most people go there for strings and picks, maybe a new skin to put on the head of a drum. The sales commissions for the guys I know outside of LA/Seattle/etc are meager otherwise, so it's no surprise that they're doing this to the storefronts. They'll close a good number of them, and either diversify their stock or shrink the footprint for the remainders that are actually profitable. Meanwhile I think they moved musiciansfriend off books ages ago and created the GC online duplicate so that the musiciansfriend can continue being a 'friend' even if GC folds. That's just a guess from watching their business...
dante

Post by dante »

Showroom mode alive and well here - our mainline store Store DJ shut the doors during the pandemic and I had to click and collect my most recent purchases, but likely back fully open now. The store where I bought Scope cards in 2001 was about 1/4 of the size.
store-dj.jpg
store-dj.jpg (300.24 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
valis

Post by valis »

I would warrant they're plenty profitable in a larger city. My city isn't tiny by any means anymore, but it's no Los Angeles.
garyb

Post by garyb »

GC is the main cause of the demise of real music stores and a real variety of REAL products. i don't know how many companies exactly that i personally watched GC kill, but it was no small number. heck, GC even almost crippled Yamaha. MF was the final nail in the coffin for small professional shops. as always, YMMV.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Maybe time to open up a store in Vegas with a pro service/repair man.
I’m already working with a killer old school repair guy. Sly’s old keyboard guy.
Right now he’s overwhelmed with gadgets like MPC and old samplers more than keyboards.

One door closes, another one opens.
valis

Post by valis »

We c ould use someone who does PCB repair for the intermittent issues our cards are starting to have. Noone I talk to will touch something without schematics, mostly because they're overloaded with work and don't need to pick up products they don't already know how to repair.
dante

Post by dante »

Solder joints on my 3 x Scope PCI are in mint condish still.....
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Mixed feelings about GC. Unfortunately the only show in town for me. Their keyboard Dept absolutely pathetic. 11 yrs ago I bought my CP300 from them because I must have gone back and played with it prob a dozen times before I bought it and they earned my business. Their stock has steadily dwindled since. Spoke with their management a few years back about their on the shelf stock in keyboards and they basically told me to pack sand -you can order it.
All of these years looking at new gear from NAMM and never showing up on their shelves so good riddance. Maybe a new local pro shop will emerge.
valis

Post by valis »

As bad as they may have been, Amazon is the 100lb gorilla now. This applies to audio as well as general computing.
dawman

Post by dawman »

yayajohn wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:48 am Mixed feelings about GC. Unfortunately the only show in town for me. Their keyboard Dept absolutely pathetic. 11 yrs ago I bought my CP300 from them because I must have gone back and played with it prob a dozen times before I bought it and they earned my business. Their stock has steadily dwindled since. Spoke with their management a few years back about their on the shelf stock in keyboards and they basically told me to pack sand -you can order it.
All of these years looking at new gear from NAMM and never showing up on their shelves so good riddance. Maybe a new local pro shop will emerge.
Good thing your close to Nashville.
Lots of specialty shops there for synths, Hammonds, etc.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

True, I get out there from time to time. Prob worth investigating. Of course the Moog factory is equal distance the other way and I would love to throw a big fat One in the back of my pickup.
dante

Post by dante »

Two Old Hippies looks like a cool store.
dante

Post by dante »

A couple of months ago, local legendary hand guitar manufacturers Maton were forced to shut doors whilst demand was peaking :

https://www.afr.com/policy/economy/lock ... 906-p55swf

But now they’re back - celebrating their 75th anniversary ... hopefully same will happen elsewhere