For Sale: Psyco-X Syncussion SY-1M drum machine

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

t_tangent

For Sale: Psyco-X Syncussion SY-1M drum machine

Post by t_tangent »

Psyco-X SY-1M Syncussion unit for sale.

Valis gave me permission to post this here as a one off, just in case any fellow Scopers have an interest in these.

The Psyco-X SY-1M is a faithful reproduction of the famous Pearl Syncussion drum machine from the late '70s which are now hard to find (and expensive). The Psyco-X SY-1M improves on the original with an output socket & trigger button for each channel. It retains the CV Tune & Trigger inputs, as well as adding MIDI control triggering Pitch & Decay for each channel. There are 2 types of MIDI mode, and MIDI channel can be selected by the jumper switch on the side of the unit. This makes the SY-1M very flexible within any studio setup.

Some great videos and sound examples can be found on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... sion+sy-1m

Unit 1
Unit 1.jpg
Unit 1.jpg (814.13 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
Unit one has been built as stock, so no modifications installed on this unit.
Price: GBP(£) 699 (excluding shipping)

Unit 2 is now SOLD
Unit 2.JPG
Unit 2.JPG (512.41 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
The second unit includes VCO2 Offset mod for each channel. Widely regarded as an "essential" Mod, it allows VCO2 to be manually controlled via the two side knobs when the SY-1M is set to mode B, C, D or E. This adds much greater flexibility to the types of sounds that can be created. A switch for each channel bypasses the mod and reverts VCO2 to standard calibrated setting. (This mod is based on Keiran Gibb's guide so many thanks to Keiran for making that available.)
Price: GBP(£) 749 (excluding shipping)

Unit 3 is now SOLD
Unit 3.JPG
Unit 3.JPG (811.07 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
Unit three includes both the manual VCO2 Offset mod for each channel, and also a pair of small PCBs have been installed which allow CV control of both VCO2 Offset and Envelope Decay when using the four included stereo to twin mono adaptor cables. For more information see http://www.mcop.co.uk/diy/syncussion-sy ... fications/

Tune Input
White socket: Tune
Red socket: VCO2 Offset

Trigger Input
White socket: Trigger
Red socket: Envelope Decay

This is a useful mod for those with a modular system or purely CV based setup. Also note that connecting a standard CV cable directly to the Tune & Trigger inputs bypasses the mods and operates as default CV control. (All credit goes to mcop for this mod, and many thanks for his help.)
Price: GBP(£) 799 (excluding shipping)

All 3 units include a MIDI to jack lead which is required for control via MIDI. See the SY-1M MIDI Reference for more information. https://15e3e2c7-5525-4c61-b08e-10d84fd ... 80708e.pdf

All 3 units include a 12V DC Power Supply and have full international safety approvals which make them suitable for use worldwide.

All 3 units include the original Apem MHS122K On-Off slide switches. These have now been discontinued by the manufacturer, so other recent builds out there may have had to use the MHS123K with center position inactive. Maybe not such a big deal, but worth mentioning. :)

Each unit has a choice of Red knobs with Red rubber slider caps, or Black knobs with Black, White or alternate Black & White rubber slider caps, or the Black with white stripe cap which are included as standard with the kit.

I am located in UK. Please send me a PM for any enquiries.

See following link for more photos of the 3 units.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Thanks for your interest.
Last edited by t_tangent on Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
valis

Re: For Sale: Psyco-X Syncussion SY-1M drum machine

Post by valis »

Permission? That goes without saying, this seems a labor of love not a pump & dump political scheme. But more than permission, would that I could buy all the stuff from our community that gives me GAS, including this. Good luck finding some happy homes for it!
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Thanks for the kind words Valis. Yes it did take a while to complete them all as I took a break between the first couple and the final two in order to repair a couple of my vintage synths that were playing up, then my nephew asked for help fixing his Preamp and DJ Mixer. But yes the Psyco-X units were fun to build and sound fantastic, and the low end you can get on this puts the Kick on the 808 to shame. :)

My next project is to try and make an I/O panel for an Oberheim SEM panel I got a while back, something like this maybe.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... e#p1335587
But first I need to build a power supply for the SEM. Anyway we will see. :)

Cheers for now, and thanks again.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Excellent craftsmenship.
Want to see the SEM. I’m thinking of gigging less and recording more.
Modular DSP, Modular hardware and 3rd Party stuff is looking very interesting.

Congrats TT.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Thanks Dawman,

Re the SEM, yeah I am looking forward to getting that up and running, but i have a feeling it might take some time. Will post a picture whenever or if ever I finish it. :)

But yeah, a hybrid setup is alot of fun, and with Scope at the heart of it.

Cheers dude :)
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Just to say Units 2 & 3 are now sold. Unit 1 is still available, this is a stock unit, no mods.

PM if you require more details. :)
valis

Post by valis »

glad you've had some success :)
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Thanks mate, yes slowly but surely. :) But most importantly the 2 buyers seem to be happy with them. Was considering doing a couple more kits once the final one is sold, but not sure yet as I still need to get the Oberheim SEM restoration finished. Had to get the panel powder coated and now just waiting for it to come back from the silk screen printer, then assemble and wire up the I/O panel before fitting it into a small wooden enclosure. I recently found a local timber recycling warehouse when out for a countryside walk, and he has put aside some mahogany panels from what was once an old victorian table, something like that. And the chap said he can cut to size when I know what I need which is cool of him. So lots to do still but will get there eventually :)