HP ProBook 4740s Notebook graphic card question

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fidox

HP ProBook 4740s Notebook graphic card question

Post by fidox »

Hi !

I have here one notebook from my friend.
https://support.hp.com/hk-en/product/hp ... /c03353393
I have installed Windows 8.1, which came with this notebook.
He didn't use option to upgrade for free to Windows 10, don't know why, but anyway.

Is this normal that notebook have 2 graphic card installed.
I can see in Device Manager, Intel and AMD graphic card and it writes , both cards working ok.
Is this normal ?
I'm little confused.
On notebook, there's sticker from AMD graphic card and not Intel.
But first driver which was installed by Windows Update was Intel graphic card and AMD was not recognized.
I have installed Driver Easy to check all drivers, then i have figure out that there is also AMD graphic card.
Anyone have any tip or should i leave now, as it is ?

Thanks
dawman

Re: HP ProBook 4740s Notebook graphic card question

Post by dawman »

Probably because Intels “Graphics Card” is an on die GPU, and the AMD is actually an actual GFX accelerator.
I’ve been using Intel's built in/on die Graphics Chip for years now. They’re great for audio because no frames per second (FPS) are required for 2D monitoring/
fidox

Post by fidox »

dawman wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:44 am Probably because Intels “Graphics Card” is an on die GPU, and the AMD is actually an actual GFX accelerator.
I’ve been using Intel's built in/on die Graphics Chip for years now. They’re great for audio because no frames per second (FPS) are required for 2D monitoring/
I don't like laptops at all. I didn't ever own any laptop , just when it comes to,
"hey, i have some problems with Windows , could you check please" :D
Not much options in BIOS to choose, especially on older models.

"They’re great for audio"

I had pops and clicks while using built-in graphic in my desktop computer, so i needed to add pci-e graphic card, then was ok.
valis

Post by valis »

Drivers & your configuration will always give your specific results. Tunings may vary...

In any case, if you have installed the MOBILE version of AMD's driver set for that GPU then it should switch on the fly as needed, and it should also be controllable in the AMD control panel and possibly the power settings for that laptop. Windows 8.1 is probably the biggest issue...
fidox

Post by fidox »

valis wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:02 pm Drivers & your configuration will always give your specific results. Tunings may vary...

In any case, if you have installed the MOBILE version of AMD's driver set for that GPU then it should switch on the fly as needed, and it should also be controllable in the AMD control panel and possibly the power settings for that laptop. Windows 8.1 is probably the biggest issue...
Thanks Valis !

Yea, i have finished with setup as it is now, with 2 graphic cards installed.
Laptop will be used just for few applications, so, i think it should be fine that way.
Before a friend brought it to me that laptop, there were few blue screens after some time, but now, running whole day, with all updates, it's ok.

Like i said, i really don't like to fix older machines, especially laptops, but here and there I make an exception for friends or colleagues from work :)
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

I use a custom laptop from Pro-Star with the Intel HD 4600 chip and an nVidia GTX 770M GPU. Second monitor is a 27" Asus. Third is a 24" Dell. You just select which app you want which GPU to use, or default to either across the board. I turn off all the 3D PhysX stuff and all the anti-isotropic stuff. That's good for video games, which I don't do. As far as audio it doesn't seem to make a difference in my DAW. The nVidia seems to be prettier to look at in the GUI and does take some cycles off of the CPU, but really not enough to get any better audio and then there's more fan noise. I use Obsidian PC fan control which lets you adjust the speed of the fans, but I think it only works on Pro-Star or Clevos. The VST GUI eye-candy does look a bit nicer though. On my Scope desktop I have a cheap nVidia with HDMI. Doesn't even have a fan (it doesn't get hot or make any noise). That goes out to a 30" wide screen to accommodate the mixers and whatever other Scope stuff I'm using at the time. Screensets are great! Cakewalk has mix-scenes that work the same way, solves the screen real-state issues!
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

fidox wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:04 am
So called "workstation" notebooks, using processors which come w/ iGPU anyway, come w/ a 2nd graphics card for the users needing high(er) end graphics.

:)

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

fidox wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:31 am
I had pops and clicks while using built-in graphic in my desktop computer, so i needed to add pci-e graphic card, then was ok.
I use iGPU graphics for SCOPE/XITE x64 and native VST.
No clicks or pops.
Desktop computer, Z97, i74790k, 32GB RAM.

In the past, Nvidia was king of the hill for audio DAW,- today it´s the opposite.
It´s always the drivers.

For laptops, today it´s very often the combo of iGPU and Nvidia.
In that case, I´d use iGPU for DAW.

This "scalable plugin-GUI" crap makes lots of problems w/ some plugins.
If it works good or not depends on the library used for coding.
Some are open source and work only correct w/ Win10.
I got problems w/ Win7 Pro and freebie updates like "Full Bucket Music" https://www.fullbucket.de/music/vst.html when zooming,- and commercial Superior Drummer 3 where GUI explaining pop-ups, which unfortunately cannot be deactivated, won´t disappear and overlap more and more until you close plugin window and open again.
Happens also in standalone mode.

For the FBM freebies, I´ve found out the "legacy downloads" sound the same and all the fuss is the for resizeable GUI updated/upgraded plugin.

Well,- often I think ... do we watch music or do we make it.
All these cosmetic gimmicks...

Bud
fidox

Post by fidox »

Bud Weiser wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:42 pm
fidox wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:04 am
So called "workstation" notebooks, using processors which come w/ iGPU anyway, come w/ a 2nd graphics card for the users needing high(er) end graphics.

Bud
Thanks !

I didn't see that before, that's why i was confused, since i'm more desktop user with 1 graphic card installed :)
valis

Post by valis »

Many desktop CPU's have iGP's now as well. There are a few SKU's available without them, but they're the same cost and the iGP portion of Intel has a few features like quicksync which accelerate video encoding and transcoding so I keep to the on-CPU iGP models when I can. They don't cost a performance penalty, and unlike the laptop versions they also don't switch back & forth. The Connector you use is the GPU that feeds that display, simple as that on desktop.