Foot Switches/Controllers

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

Foot Switches/Controllers

Post by yayajohn »

Thought I'd start a topic to share ideas and experiences of peoples favorite foot switches/controllers.
I will start out with mine. Please share yours.
Behringer FCB1010 - i've owned for many years,
Pro's: solid, reliable, versatile with lots of depth.
Con's: Not user friendly, No USB so programming APP on computer is sent thru Sysex to FCB - it works but...
Problem I have with this one is I don't use it very often and then forget how to program/use what I programmed and have to dig in the manual to figure it out.

Logidy UMI3: Pros: Cheap, Very user friendly, Easy to program with the app with a good number of options. Links to a free looper app called Full Circle
Cons: App does not open with last assigned settings so you have to save to file then load the file each time you boot up. USB only and I have had to unplug and replug to get it to work properly upon bootup but I may have it connected to a USB hub so maybe that is why.

Here's a link with some pro reviews: https://heavy.com/tech/2017/02/top-best ... interface/
jksuperstar

Re: Foot Switches/Controllers

Post by jksuperstar »

I had an FCB1010 for a long time, and replaced it with this Keith McMillan SoftStep
https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/softstep/

Pros: Reliable, incredibly flexible (8 degrees of freedom PER pad...on/off, tap, pressure, tilt in 4 directions, rotate left right), usb, but can work stand-alone with a midi adaptor.
Cons: super thin, you need proper shoes to take advantage of all the possibilities. Software is a bit bloated for what it does.

I have the original one with square pads, the new one looks like it be even easier to take advantage of tilt. The 12 step has a lot of similar genes, good for a bass board!
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

:lol: I love the video of the truck rolling over it.
The tilt adds a new dimension to foot pedals. Is it pretty easy to program?
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

We do modules in scope...yeah it’s not bad ;). It does have a level of complexity necessary for doing the many cool things it can do. Tilt for expression combined with rotation (think turning a knob with your foot) is doubley powerful, when you add a little reverb/delay input on the twist, while doing distortion or modulation on the XY tilt just to accent a note.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I had the McMillan KBoard for PAT on Solaris.
Incredible build quality and high functionality.