From the "Well you were only renting it anyway" Department

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

valis

From the "Well you were only renting it anyway" Department

Post by valis »

Native Instruments to discontinue long list of products, meaning they can’t be reinstalled on new computers

From Native Instruments: Service Center and Legacy Products End of Life
As of May 31, 2020, a range of legacy products from Native Instruments and third-party manufacturers, as well as the activation tool Service Center, will be discontinued. This means that already installed and activated products can still be used without limitation, but it is no longer possible to reinstall or reactivate any of these products on a new computer.

Most of the products have a newer version with the same or enhanced functionality, either released by NI or one of our partners. Please check out our product pages, or ask the manufacturer of the original third-party library for a newer version or alternative libraries.

After May 31, 2020, the use of Native Access is required to activate and manage your NI products. If you are using an older operating system, you can find legacy versions of Native Access in this article.
nebelfuerst

Re: From the "Well you were only renting it anyway" Department

Post by nebelfuerst »

For this reason, I only buy software which will survive for a longer time.
My synths from the 90s still work, no license required.
But some business guys think they could make money by blocking activation after a few years, make the "sale" a "rent".

I may rent a virus scanner, but not an audio software that has to last longer than some companies do.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
valis

Post by valis »

Note I understand the business decision at work here, it's a bit like maintaining gaming servers for a game that came out in 2008...but that doesn't mean I like the fact that I have machines that can run Service Center but need to now authorize and disk images before the end date to ensure that these machines can actually be used were I to want to do that.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

valis wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:25 pm Note I understand the business decision at work here, it's a bit like maintaining gaming servers for a game that came out in 2008...but that doesn't mean I like the fact that I have machines that can run Service Center but need to now authorize and disk images before the end date to ensure that these machines can actually be used were I to want to do that.
On my Win XP machine NI Service Center already refused to work in 2015 when I tried to activate latest plugin updates available for XP.
It was because Service Center always updates itself 1st and simply this wasn´t possible anymore because new versions now wanted Win7.

This year, I tried to install Pro53 on a 32Bit Win7 machine.
It worked (in demo mode),- but activation didn´t because now there was Native Access and Service Center, even it´s latest version was available for download and installation, wasn´t able to update itself.
When Service Center or Native Access fail updating themselves,- NO activation possible !

:)

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

According to topic,-

NI Native Access has nothing to do w/ "rental".

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Yay Kontakt 5 is not on the death row list ! 8)
garyb

Post by garyb »

fuck the whole paradigm.
i'm sad that people don't understand the rip-off involved. hardware was always sickeningly expensive, but at least once you spent your money, it was yours.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:31 am hardware was always sickeningly expensive, but at least once you spent your money, it was yours.
^^^^^^^
THIS !

And I love S|C SCOPE being almost functional forever, as long I own the keyfiles and the hardware (in working condition) running the devices.

Bud
at0m

Post by at0m »

NI backtracks: https://www.musicradar.com/news/native- ... y-products

Guess they hadn't made a lot of fans w that initial move.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
valis

Post by valis »

Was going to post that as well, though they only stated that they will look into 'use at your own risk' methods of accomplishing things. From the sound of the forum post (where this was responded to by a forum-named NI person only) it may only be some way to authorize Service Center apps under Catalina, so remains to be seen. Let's hope that they let service center work under older OSes. If Holger & Gary can keep Scope alive for over 2 decades, NI certainly can.