Algorithmically Generated Every Possible Melody and Released to Public Domain

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

at0m

Algorithmically Generated Every Possible Melody and Released to Public Domain

Post by at0m »

more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
dante

Re: Algorithmically Generated Every Possible Melody and Released to Public Domain

Post by dante »

A few points :

1) why would you want to circumvent copyright laws ? They’re there for a reason.
2) they can’t copyright the ones that have already been used so they are infringing other than the fact they’re probably not getting any tangible first hand financial gain.
3) copyright is about more than just melody - it includes lyrics and possibly arrangement elements as well couldn’t it ?
garyb

Re: Algorithmically Generated Every Possible Melody and Released to Public Domain

Post by garyb »

sure, let's devalue people's hard work and genius.
even with every possible melody, someone has to go through them all and find something great to do with them.
dawman

Post by dawman »

garyb wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:20 pm sure, let's devalue people's hard work and genius.
even with every possible melody, someone has to go through them all and find something great to do with them.
Our kids are great at that.
My son does come up with his own, but his crew likes remix’s too.
It’s akin to taking chapters from different books, combining them with a new title and claiming you’re the author.

Interesting that orchestrating trumps learning the instrument first.
Nothing wrong, just different.
garyb

Post by garyb »

that's not orchestrating. it is fun, but there's a reason why the quality of entertainment has declined steadily in the modern age...

also, you'll find that the remix is great, mainly because the original(s) were great. that's hard to quantify when the original sounds and ideas are already known, but at least there are selfies and viral marketing.

i always have to laugh at the dj who spends an extraordinary amount of effort looking cool and like he's doing something, when it's just the mix on his laptop. i don't see how this really beats a jukebox, but i'll admit, it looks cool the first time.

rip- music and musicans and producers and engineers.

i know there'll be a small crowd who find themselves to be superior trying to act like some trendy thing is something that will move the heart of anyone who heard it, all around the world, in most any time period. i remember the days when you didn't need drugs to be amazed and having an awesome time hearing something on the radio, even better when seen and heard live! i remember when the moving and inspiring and exhilarating and even terribly tragic music was commonplace. i remember when one needed to be at the top of their craft to be seen in public and that was good and something to strive for.

it's fine. i'm just getting old, and i'm a bit disappointed, but i'm also hopeful because the things that are truly important to people, just generally, not specifically, will always be important, even if people forget them. when they see them, they always know them on a profound level. i see this in every day life, everywhere i go and in my own experience both on stage and off. carry on...it's really about people.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Endless mediocrity.
Pretty sure my ancient Piano teacher thought the same thing when she heard Mick Jagger.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i bet she did, but there are levels to everything. she wasn't completely wrong necessarily. i'll also bet that she never thought it could be much worse. :lol:

i'm not against everything...
dante

Post by dante »

garyb wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:20 pm even with every possible melody, someone has to go through them all and find something great to do with them.
So all the melodies I thought I wrote - I didn’t - I only discovered them because they already existed :)
valis

Post by valis »

At least in potentia, so this simply made what was potential actual? And of course, selecting melodies is what a selecta does as well, but please don't mistake that for me taking up the feckless task of defending all DJ's from gary's opinion.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Amen :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

nah, i was mocking djs who pretend that they are doing things while playing their laptops.

that's right, dante. there is no such thing are being "creative". humans don't create. we take what is already there and then rearrange it. but i was talking about a melody algorithm that "discovers" all possible melodies...
valis

Post by valis »

I know plenty of those dj's, feckless :)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:02 pm
... that's not orchestrating...
... there's a reason why the quality of entertainment has declined steadily in the modern age...
... the dj who spends an extraordinary amount of effort looking cool and like he's doing something, when it's just the mix on his laptop.
... i don't see how this really beats a jukebox, ...

rip- music and musicans and producers and engineers.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Reality check ! You nail it !

But in regards of "creativity of humans" you don´t.

There were always very creative humans,- but only a few ... not the masses.
In music you already found ´em in classical and jazz,- rock/pop not so much, but some.
In all the other arts and science the same.

A few develop, the others copy.

:)

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

creating involves making something from nothing. humans ALWAYS make something from something. that's why humans have been said to be "in the image of the creator". an image is different than the real thing, but it can look very real. :lol:

but you are correct. in the same way that only a few can run really fast, or demonstrate intellectual prowess, or excel at painting pictures, there are only a few that are real musicians and entertainers. everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. there is no need to claim equality, because while we all may be valuable, we are not all the same, even though we are all human.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Very profound there Gary... you been on the old mushrooms again? :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

no.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Profound nevertheless
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

It´s hard to find,- a profound mind ...

yeah !

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

t_tangent wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:45 am Very profound there Gary... you been on the old mushrooms again? :)
No they were new ones - he discovered them because they already existed - like the mushrooms discovered his profundity because it already existed.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

LOL, indeed.

Yes, I always think of Gary as the wise old sage, although he will probably say "Oi, less of the old please." :)