Win 7 and NVMe

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Re: Win 7 and NVMe

Post by dante »

Good to know - coz I use em for backup as well as streaming.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

For the Z97 Win7 Pro SP1 x64 users:

I solved the issue today by using the Microsoft hotfix kb2990941-v3-x64.
Installed using command line w/ wusa.exe, which is the correct way installing Microsoft .msu update files into the system as administrator.
(google: "How to install a .msu update on Windows 7 from the command line.")
It shows the method,- but in the example it´s a different MS KB .... update file though.

So,- the 2nd hotfix for the "stop error" mentioned above wasn´t necessary at all.

Before I did the NVMe fix for Win7, I decativated the already installed Samsung NVMe Controller in device manager and removed the 970 EVO Plus from the computer.
Once the hotfix was installed and machine was up again, the Patriot NVMe was recognized and ready for formatting.

Next steps,- shut down, put in Samsung NVMe again, boot and once up re-activate Samsung NVMe Controller.
Bingo,- BOTH are recognized and work.

Ironically, Samsung Magician recognizes all drives incl. Patriot NVMe M.2 and does performance benchmark,- while Patriot Tool Box_m.2 doesn´t. :lol:

Anyway, the result is, WHEN the NVMe isn´t the start drive and no need to install OS on those,- all works well w/ hotfix and we can use any NVMe M.2 SSD combo w/ Win7 and w/o setting up Win7 all new.

I now have 2 SATA SSDs and 2 NVMe SSDs in the machine,- a WD VelocyRaptor HDD in addition.
Even the Patriot Scorch is PCIe 3.0 x2 only and that M.2 slot is just only PCIe 2.0 x2, which is already a downgrade,- after benchmark test,- it´s about 50% faster than the Samsung 860 Pro and 850 EVO SATA600 SSDs !
Temperature is 35°C.

Cool purchase for AsRock Z97 Extreme6 mainboard.

:)

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

Coolness...
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:53 pmCoolness...
Yesterday I moved 235GB+ Toontrack Superior Drummer 3 library and (EZ Drummer2) EZ libraries incl. all the MIDI loops,- which usually read/write slow, over from Samsung NVMe x4 in Ultra M.2 slot to Patriot NVMe M.2 in M.2 PCie x3 slot and it was done in 4 minutes.
Insane.

:)

Bud