Multiple displays one from mobo and one from PCIe (?)

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Multiple displays one from mobo and one from PCIe (?)

Post by dante »

Due to the PCIe graphics card I bought with my new system ( it has 3 HDMI outputs) taking up 2 slots it disallowed me from installing both UAD2 and Scope PCIe cards so I removed it and replaced it with the single slot Video card in my old system.

However, this single slot card has one HDMI and one DVI output. In the event I eventually want to run 2 x HDMI displays, is it possible to run one from the mobo and one from the card ? I've tried this but the MOBO one cant be detected whilst the PCIe one is active.

Does anyone know if what I'm trying to do is possible or do I now need to hunt for a PCIe graphics card that has 2 HDMI outputs and is only one slot wide ?
valis

Re: Multiple displays one from mobo and one from PCIe (?)

Post by valis »

DVI will convert directly to HDMI if you have DVI-D on that output (any modern card should--check this wiki article and scroll down to "Connector").

A quick summary of DVI so you don't have to read that whole article: DVI *CAN* carry analog & digital signals, so that when it first debuted it was backwards compatible with what we would commonly refer to as "VGA" in terms of signalling.

HDMI, being digital, requires DVI-D support on the connector/card, and converting from DVI to HDMI is a simple pass-through and doesn't require an extra buffer chip as converting from VGA to DVI-D would, or as converting from Displayport to any other protocol (because the digital protocol is not compatible with HDMI/DVI or any analog output).

HDMI continues to evolve well past the DVI specifications, as does Displayport. So if you choose to go from DVI directly to an HDMI monitor, make sure the refresh rate & resolution will be supported by the HDMI output. 1080p@60hz will never be a problem, and 1440p will work as well.

--------------

tl;dnr info:

VGA was typically capable of up to 2048x1536 or 2304x1440 in the CRT era (the maximum I typically saw at least), and the Matrox DualHead2Go family of products will accept up to 3840x1200 resolution over VGA, then split it out over two or three monitors. The refresh rate is slightly reduced from 60Hz to 57Hz - but it shows that VGA has a fairly high maximum bandwidth, more than single-link DVI. The primary limitation here is the DAC (digital to analog converter) which basically scans the "output buffer" on the digital side and converts that to the analog signal. DAC's typically ran 300Mhz & under, though high end cards & monitors supported 2048x1536px @85 Hz (388 MHz). With DVI's initial implementation, (Single) WUXGA (1,920 × 1,200) @ 60 Hz (Dual) was limited by copper bandwidth limitations, DVI source limitations, and DVI sink limitations.

Dual-Link DVI enabled higher resolutions and refresh rates (2560x1600p @ 60hz is the limit for DVI-D in most cases), but still comes in well under current HDMI specifications, which continue to be extended. In the future USB-C & Displayport are probably going to supplant everything until we're either carrying the signals directly over the network (via ethernet or wifi) or optical interconnects (keeping in mind that Thunderbolt was originally planned to be optical and had copper interconnects added to the specification for cost reasons and compatibility with USB...which can ALSO now be done optically as well).

--------------

To answer your question directly: This is dependant on your BIOS/EFI settings, and the one attached to the CPU will likely need to be there on boot to be detected. Do you have any video encoding software? (Handbrake is free if not). Use that to check and see if Quicksync is enabled, if so you should also be able to access the built-in GPU.

However, as I was supporting above, going from DVI to HDMI is a relatively simple affair and you should be able to do so with a small dongle, as long as you're working within the bounds of the DVI spec.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:52 pm Due to the PCIe graphics card I bought with my new system ( it has 3 HDMI outputs) taking up 2 slots it disallowed me from installing both UAD2 and Scope PCIe cards so I removed it and replaced it with the single slot Video card in my old system.

However, this single slot card has one HDMI and one DVI output. In the event I eventually want to run 2 x HDMI displays, is it possible to run one from the mobo and one from the card ? I've tried this but the MOBO one cant be detected whilst the PCIe one is active.

Does anyone know if what I'm trying to do is possible or do I now need to hunt for a PCIe graphics card that has 2 HDMI outputs and is only one slot wide ?
I´d return the graphics card and use the IGPU (Intel UHD 630) of the i9 9900 !
Double check the mainboard manual if you can use multiple screens directly from mainboard connections.
There exist adapters to run 2 or 3 screens from a single mainboard screen connector.
I myself, I prefer display port.
The Intel i7 4790K IGPU (Intel HD 4600) already supports 3 screens 3840x2160 resolution @ 60Hz via DisplayPort.

Yours does 4096x2304@60Hz (DP) and the same @24Hz HDMI.

IGPU works well for DAW !
Graphics card refund financiates more RAM if needed.

:)

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Ok thanks Valis and Bud - Ill check out all those options :) Now that DAW is all mounted and working that's down the list of priorities but good to know !
David

Post by David »

Titan Thunderbolt card has display port out and 2x miniport display in
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC ... -rev-10#kf

Not really sure if this is a solution for your question but just thought it worth a mention it as it's an option for your board

Have you considered moving the scope pcie to the x1 slot nearest the cpu?

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you chose to install the memory in channel B? I have mine installed in channel A and wondered if there is some difference I'm unaware of.

Cheers
dante

Post by dante »

I think that's where one of the SSD is installed - I asked to have 2 extra SSD on the M2 ports - if you look here.

http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic. ... 41#p342649

Not sure about why memory is where it is - that's the way Scorptec built it.

But Im definitely interested in a Thunderbolt solution as that may give me option to expand to a UAD2 external peripheral later.
Last edited by dante on Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dante

Post by dante »

But you could be right on further examination there could be a slot I missed where I can move the XITE-1D card to therefore making room for the new video card.