What reasons to upgrade from Kontakt 5 to Kontakt 6

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

What reasons to upgrade from Kontakt 5 to Kontakt 6

Post by dante »

From https://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic ... 36&t=27891
dawman wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:56 pm Since Ive upgraded to PTeq 6.6, Kontakt 6, Omni 2.6 and ZebraHZ 2,7 I should check it out.
Cheerz
@Dawman (or anyone else using Kontakt6), as part of DAW upgrade I'm up to installing Kontakt. I'm thinking of upgrading from Kontakt 5 to Kontakt 6 - AUS$150 - what main reason to upgrade if not interested in using 3 new instruments. I'm thinking main reason is easier support / install going forwards.

Any other goodies you've found since updating ?
dawman

Re: What reasons to upgrade from Kontakt 5 to Kontakt 6

Post by dawman »

Save your money and stay with 5.8. It works fine.

The instruments are insulting and easy install may be true, I consider their upgrades money to help pay Faxi Nadu.

If he wasn’t there I wouldn’t let these guys scam me again.
dante

Post by dante »

Thanks Dawman by dicking around with the original Kontakt5 DVD across the network (forgot to specify optical drive in new DAW :roll:) and fiddling with firewall I eventually got K5.8 installed, so now I have Jaco, Shreddage 2 & 3, Neo suitcase, Session Strings and a few other essentials running, no need for K6.

You saved me $150 which I can spend on a new monitor or Capital Chambers. Anyku !
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Got NI K6.x when I upgraded to NI Komplete 12 ...
At 1st glance those 3 new "instruments" I also don´t need seemed to be the only news.

But in fact, the new FX (delay, room-, hall- and plate verb, cry-wah and mod-pack) are the improvement.

Anyway,- as a user of Kontakt 5 only, I´d live w/ Kontakt 5.8 too.

As an instrument developer, I´d upgrade for "drag & drop" features users will benefit from when using new designed instruments as also for the new "wavetable module" and "Creator Tools".

:)

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

I’m pretty much a Kontakt for samples only kind of guy.
Omnisphere 2.6 made it a four oscillator per patch synth, about damn time, and ZebraHZ are capable of doing everything I need.
More synths are a distraction from getting things done.
I’d love to speak into Alexa and have her design me a synth step by step.
Since that ain’t happening I better learn how to use what I already have before playing anything new.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Komplete - 600$
Kontakt 400$
Not interested in sampling or the other Komplete instruments but I am interested in some 3rd party instruments that require a full version of Kontakt.
400$ is quite a buy-in just to pay more money for another instrument.
It boggles my mind why a 3rd party company would limit their user base like that?
Thanks for the upgrade offers NI but until I spend full price on the buy-in then it really doesn't mean anything.
That's fine though, I really don't need any more VST's and I can spend my money on supporting the Scope developers
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:52 pm I’m pretty much a Kontakt for samples only kind of guy.
Omnisphere 2.6 made it a four oscillator per patch synth, about damn time, ...
How CPU hungry is it on a Intel 4790k, z97, 32GB RAM ?
Up to now I´m unsure if it would be usable and reliable for me, so I feared the investment.
In the past on 32Bit, I demoed Atmosphere, Trilogy and Stylus, but IIRC they wanted iLOK which I didn´t want.
Do Omnisphere, Trilian, Keyscape and Stylus RMX still need iLOK ?

dawman wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:52 pm ... and ZebraHZ are capable of doing everything I need.
More synths are a distraction from getting things done.
I agree !
It´s already overkill what we have.
But I own NI Komplete since version 2 special edition, which I bought at a discount in the past and now my upgrade was EUR 99,- jumping from v7 to v12.
I´d hate selling the licence for peanuts after all the years,- so wait w/ upgrades as long as I can and pick the special offers.
My upgrade history is v4, v7, v12 ... each for 99,- ... that´s o.k..

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:58 am
Do Omnisphere, Trilian, Keyscape and Stylus RMX still need iLOK ?

Bud
If I read this correctly - it doesn't need I Lok (?)

https://www.spectrasonics.net/support/k ... egoryID=78
valis

Post by valis »

It shouldn't, dawman divested himself of his iLok a long time ago by gifting me a copy of Softube Acoustic Feedback+WhiteAmp. Since he uses Omnisphere...

Thanks for the heads up on 4 Oscs now btw Jimmy, as someone who used to love Spectrasonics sample discs in the hardware era, and who owns Atmosphere, 4 Oscs was the upgrade from Atmosphere I cared about most at the time they launched the product. While I realize the sound quality and sampleset of Omnisphere has always been superb, my JD800, FS1R and a few other bits in here all go beyond 2 oscs/pcm's and this makes it seem much likelier this can finally replace them in the mix. Atmosphere hasn't been used in ages, but at the time it always sat in the back of the mix.

Aaaaand, to bring this back on topic, since many people use Kontakt for 3rd party libraries, I should also add this as a concern. I buy a fair amount of content still (typically on sale) and I haven't YET seen anything that didn't support 5.8, but that day may come. Personally I use Kontakt6 on a newer machine, where I also use MassiveX and Blocks (and VCV), and keep 5.8 on my aging dual xeon Mac Pro + Logic Pro X machine as it's more suited to that hardware. I also use it more as a result, tending to only wander to other machines when in search of something more novel than what I already have on hand.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:49 pm
If I read this correctly - it doesn't need I Lok (?)

https://www.spectrasonics.net/support/k ... egoryID=78
thx,- that´s cool !

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

No iLok needed and it’s not really a CPU hog.
But if you already have NI Komplete that’s enough to keep y0u busy for a while.

I just never liked the sound of VSTi synths or samples unless they’re layered for a fuller sound.

I heard the Behringer CAT and this is what I’ve always complained bout cloned 2 oscillator synths.
Old hardware sounded okay because of real voltage, etc.
PC based oscillators just don’t get very big. But the CAT like the old SE-1X’s has multi wave oscillators, basically a synth with 7 simultaneous waveforms/

That’s what I’ve been waiting for.

It would be sweet to eliminate soft synths and just use Scope and Samples.
Then an old duo core or quad would be plenty.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:03 am No iLok needed and it’s not really a CPU hog.
But if you already have NI Komplete that’s enough to keep y0u busy for a while.
Well, it doesn´t ´cause I own Komplete since K2 Special Edition was released for a discount,- somewhere early 2000s.
Functionality moved on, tons of more patches and samples, yes.
I´d say it keeps one busy searching for the few usable patches when too lazy to create your own. :D
At the end of the day, It cost much more time than recording the track.
dawman wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:03 am I just never liked the sound of VSTi synths or samples unless they’re layered for a fuller sound.
I ideally layer soft- w/ hardware.
All my hardware synths sound beefier than VST,- even the patches I made for Kurzweil PC3 using 3DSP block wide anti alias OSCs for Saw, Sine & Square together w/ the MOOG filter emu and even ENVs and LFOs are lame.

The better SCOPE synths sound beefier than VST too.

But, for doing something "in the box" only, the VST stuff is good enough.
Today, they "produce" EDM s##t on smartphones while sippin´ drinks on the beach w/ the beauties.
Great life and sound is accepted by the masses, even they mix w/ these tools and earbuds.

After x-mas, old buddy, age of 71, keyboardist, arranger, composer and record company/publishing owner, came by ´cause we occasionally work together on a project running since years.
It´s kind of backgound music for joggers, gym etc.,- mainly based on beats and sequences.
He pulled out his phone loaded an app, downloaded some loops and put something together within minutes.
I was shocked since I don´t even use a smartphone ... :lol:

When I said "... but you cannot mix it on the phone" (because of sound quality) he said:
"I can,- because they only hear it that way !
It´s the sound they expect today and when I load in Logic and listen to on studio´s nearfields, it still sounds good enough !"

dawman wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:03 am I heard the Behringer CAT and this is what I’ve always complained bout cloned 2 oscillator synths.
Old hardware sounded okay because of real voltage, etc.
PC based oscillators just don’t get very big. But the CAT like the old SE-1X’s has multi wave oscillators, basically a synth with 7 simultaneous waveforms/

That’s what I’ve been waiting for.
Behringer CAT = no preset memory.
I don´t buy any hardware w/o preset memory.
dawman wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:03 am It would be sweet to eliminate soft synths and just use Scope and Samples.
Then an old duo core or quad would be plenty.
Actually, I try to get the balance between idealism and sanity,- especially because of my age and confirmed chronic issues I´ll never get rid off ´til I die.
I´ll have to stay @home, work there and possibly never gig/tour national/international again,- maybe local on occasion but I´m also not sure if I really want then.

I still hope for SCOPE 7.1 coming soon and keep things smaller instead collecting latest hardware-clone-synths (again).
I say even I love the hardware,- and if I were younger and in better condition, I´d possibly think different.

OTOH ... hardware vs VST and as an example:

I´m always intersted in comparing Oberheim clones vs my Xpander.
So I did w/ Arturia M12 because it comes w/ a number of re-programmed identical factory single-patches.
I appreciate there´s identical architecture and functionality available, even multi-patch structure like in hardware,- but the real Xpander connected to a quality analog mixer sounds way different (and better).
I set "better" in brackets because it´s subjective always.
And now think about a Matrix-12 or Xpander never were the fattest sounding Oberheims even they were the modulation kings of the preoduct line.
The Arturia SEM ... well,- I think the bx-digital Oberhausen is somewhat better already.
But don´t own the original hardware to compare.

Processor:
When running SCOPE standalone, maybe together w/ just only NI-Kontakt or similar, you´d get it w/ a Intel Pentium Gold G5400 dual core 3.7Ghz, 4MB L2 and 4MB L3 cache and IGPU w/ Intel UHD 630 (4K !) @ 54W TDP for about 60 bucks.
G5600 (3.9GHz) is even better.
Take a AsRock H370 micro atx, 1TB Ultra M.2 x4 for samples and another x2 or SATA based SSD for OS.
Put SCOPE/XITE PCIe card in a fast PCIe slot and it will work.

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

Damn no preset memory.
Guess MIDI will have to do.
Only the Physis could pull that off.
Snapshots saved in NRPN Tables, lots of extra work but the mighty Physis can easily make this happen.
I do this already with the Meris Hedra Pitch Shifter Pedal.
It has 16 presets and I’m using 23 so far.
Makes my 3 Oscillator SE-02 pretty fat, but the CAT will become a pseudo 10 Oscillator synth.

Keep up the great work brotha man Budweiser, son of Michelob...
at0m

Post by at0m »

I hear someone's making great progress on making a tool to convert Kontakt <= 5 to soundfonts. That means you'll be able to load them in STS and such :>
Will post a link when I see a release.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

at0m wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:59 pm I hear someone's making great progress on making a tool to convert Kontakt <= 5 to soundfonts. That means you'll be able to load them in STS and such :>
Will post a link when I see a release.
Interesting !
But doesn´t that require STS samplers working in 64Bit because Kontakt libraries are large,- and I guess, they will be even when converted in SF2.

It would be a god´s gift if we were able to load stuff like Purgatory Creek ...

"Tine Collection" https://www.purgatorycreek.com/index.ph ... n-kontakt/
"Reed Collection" https://www.purgatorycreek.com/index.ph ... n-kontakt/
"Clavinet Collection" https://www.purgatorycreek.com/index.ph ... n-kontakt/

... into STS samplers.

But I fear it also depends on sampler engine architecture when it comes to Kontakt engine emulation and not only the file format.
And most (if not all) commercial NI and 3rd-party Kontakt libraries are protected and require activation even in Kontakt full version itself, so I doubt they´ll give permission loading ´em into another 3rd party sampleplayer w/o the ability to connect via web for authorization/activation like it works w/ Native Access and did w/ former Service center applications.

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Not only that, but Kontakt is more than just samples - its control as well. For example, Shreddage 2 & 3 - how would stuff like string polyphony, hammer on, fret positioning and a whole bunch of other control related stuff created to mimic mechanics of real guitar and accessed by extended gui, work in a soundfont ?

How would I tell STS that when I play the top E string at 7th fret then play it at 5th fret that I still wanted note on 7th fret to sustain, or not sustain ?
dawman

Post by dawman »

dante wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:43 pm Not only that, but Kontakt is more than just samples - its control as well. For example, Shreddage 2 & 3 - how would stuff like string polyphony, hammer on, fret positioning and a whole bunch of other control related stuff created to mimic mechanics of real guitar and accessed by extended gui, work in a soundfont ?

How would I tell STS that when I play the top E string at 7th fret then play it at 5th fret that I still wanted note on 7th fret to sustain, or not sustain ?
Very true.
Wavelore Pedal Steel actually tracks string tensions up and down the fretboard.
Amazing stuff.
dante

Post by dante »

Must try that Wavelore out. @Dawman, you using M.2 SSD for sample streaming yet ?