How many kinds of USB-C™ to USB-C™ cables are there?

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

valis

How many kinds of USB-C™ to USB-C™ cables are there?

Post by valis »

at0m

Re: How many kinds of USB-C™ to USB-C™ cables are there?

Post by at0m »

This begs for the mandatory https://xkcd.com/927/ "Standards"

Also:
""Raspberry Pi cofounder Eben Upton admitted to TechRepublic that "A smart charger with an e-marked cable will incorrectly identify the Raspberry Pi 4 as an audio adapter accessory and refuse to provide power." Upton went on to say, "I expect this will be fixed in a future board revision, but for now users will need to apply one of the suggested workarounds. It's surprising this didn't show up in our (quite extensive) field testing program."""
RPI4 isn't alone, Nintendo Switch suffers a similar problem.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
valis

Re: How many kinds of USB-C™ to USB-C™ cables are there?

Post by valis »

Indeed, waiting for the RPi 4 revision myself, as I would love it's 4K abilities (more than half the screens in my home studio now are 1440p or 4K).

Also concur on the competing standards, but in this case the USB spec is known and comes from only 1 standards setting body! It used to be that certain 3rd party chipsets would release their motherboard (and hub/etc) solutions in advance of a spec being finalized, and thus have some compatibility issues. What we have now however is simply confusion from the primary party responsible for avoiding confusion!

Could be worse though, they could have included data collection as part of the standard so that 'the companies could make money' (off our privacy). :D