Midi 2.0 & MIDI-CI, Midi Profiles, Midi Property Exchange

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

valis

Midi 2.0 & MIDI-CI, Midi Profiles, Midi Property Exchange

Post by valis »

The MIDI Association published an introduction to MIDI 2.0 on Friday, describing updates to the already-evolving 36-year-old standard, including MIDI-CI, Profiles and Property Exchange:
MIDI 2.0 updates MIDI with new auto-configuration, extended resolution, increased expressiveness, and tighter timing -- all while maintaining a high priority on backward compatibility. This major update of MIDI paves the way for a new generation of advanced interconnected MIDI devices, while still preserving interoperability with the millions of existing MIDI 1.0 devices. One of the core goals of MIDI 2.0 is to also enhance the MIDI 1.0 feature set whenever possible.

The additional capabilities that MIDI 2.0 brings to devices are enabled by MIDI-Capability Inquiry (MIDI-CI). The basic idea is that if devices have a bidirectional connection, they can exchange their capabilities with each other. Devices can share their configuration and what MIDI functions are supported. Devices use a bidirectional link to configure MIDI features when both devices agree to support that feature. MIDI-CI discovers and configures device features using three categories of inquiry: Profile Configuration, Property Exchange, and Protocol Negotiation. If a device does not support any new features, it uses the MIDI 1.0 as usual. Devices connected to that device will continue to use MIDI 1.0 in communication with that device...

MIDI 2.0 has a new Universal MIDI Packet format for carrying MIDI 1.0 Protocol messages and MIDI 2.0 Protocol messages...

The foundational specification, MIDI-CI has been published and is available for download. Other key MIDI 2.0 specifications are nearing completion in the MIDI Manufacturers Association. But it will take several years to write numerous Profile and Property Exchange specifications to follow.... [W]e do not expect any MIDI 2.0 products to be released in 2019. For MIDI to be fully useable, the industry needs devices, applications, operating systems, and DAWs to support these new specifications. It will take time for a whole system of devices to be available.
The post emphasizes that the original MIDI 1.0 "is not being replaced. Rather it is being extended and is expected to continue, well integrated with the new MIDI 2.0 environment. It is part of the Universal MIDI Packet, the fundamental MIDI data format...

"MIDI 2.0 is just part of the evolution of MIDI that has gone on for 36 years. The step by step evolution continues."
JoPo

Re: Midi 2.0 & MIDI-CI, Midi Profiles, Midi Property Exchange

Post by JoPo »

It looks really awesome ! But I guess midi 2 has to be implemented in daws ; so, I'm not sure we gonna use it tomorrow !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
valis

Post by valis »

MPE support rolled out rather quickly. Since this includes things like autoconfiguration, I can see that as a line-item feature for the next version of major DAWs (except Emagic who likes to slip major features into minor dot releases).
garyb

Post by garyb »

damn autoconfiguration!
valis

Post by valis »

When we were young, we defined our midi devices uphill both ways, in the snow, using sysex!
garyb

Post by garyb »

:^)
cortone

Post by cortone »

through a midi-to-parallel port converter with a command line driver installation after booting to a floppy disk, dammit!
garyb

Post by garyb »

that's part of what made a synthesist a special person.
valis

Post by valis »

This I agree with. My affinity for and affection of the tech is what kept me going for decades. I do enjoy computers & software too, but the wide shallows do seem to attract so many these days.

On a lighter note, rather than longing for an APC Mk4 with autoconfigure uber alles, I do see hope that some of the newer modular midi kit (swap out your controller bits) plus a class compliant soundcard + iPad Pro + Camera kit + USB hub in combination with a revised Roli all under midi 2.0 spec in the hands of some young virtuoso might bring some new treats to our ears. Or simply some fun to our own hands, even if that iPad Pro is just our trusty old aging 'workstation' running our favorite DAW + softsynth combos. :)
at0m

Post by at0m »

Will my pc1600x still work? :p

Kidding aside, me too I've been following this MIDI2.0 development over the last months. While many use OSC, which is very specifically laid out for specific devices and applications, I'm still using MIDI - and maybe more than ever: my studio is all hw-centered nowadays. I still use that pc1600x, best MIDI machine ever made :D
Couple months ago I found 2 Emagic AMT8's real cheap (they work very well with linux), and recently when I grabbed my audio- and midi-routing notes booklet, I saw the first pages dated 20y ago, also with 2 Emagic AMT8's. They had, amongst others, connection to 2 Pulsar1's :D

Apart from the BCF, I've always preferred to connect devices over MIDI. USB is nice for mice ;p
MIDI hasn't disappeared at all, and it's great to see it's coming with a new version!
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
garyb

Post by garyb »

pc1600x is great!
of course, they no longer make it...
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, it doesn't matter to me, much.

i don't hate it though.
valis

Post by valis »

pc1600x was my first box of sliders, and built like a tank. Miss that thing. It also works OOTB with the Unreal Engine and Autodesk’s 3D software, due to being the default defined device for this software since the 90’s.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

dawman wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:02 pmIm still learning MIDI 1.
:lol: Me too ! It never ends ! This is a big part of my pleasure.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yeah using the BCF2000 taught me about SysEx.
My K4 can send out 32 SysEx strings in a performance.
Makes using racked gear a breeze.

But I can’t do jack shit about figuring out ways to do the impossible like some guys unlocking new features, etc.

Strictly Meat & Potatoes kind of MIDI guy.
at0m

Post by at0m »

For dev's there's the 2.0 to study and implement, for us mere mortals there's always http://midi.teragonaudio.com/tech/midispec.htm - Meat & Potatoes, Bread & Butter, that's what it is =)
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

And in Scope !? How many years or decades before to have midi 2.0 ?

--> Atom, thanks for this useful link !

--> Jimmy, how can one unlock new features ? You first must be aware they exist ! Isn't it rather genius people who create a new firmware for some devices ? here are a lot of hack like that in eurorack modules. Some like Mutable Instrument (the guy who is behind became a genius to me ! He is absolutely brilliant) switch the firmware in open source once he get back the the money he invested to craft and producing his awesome modules.
I'm far from modifying a device firmware...

Some midi device have hidden features too. A lot of Roland synths, for instance, but they are not too complicated to use, it's mainly sysex but with midi bome translator, you can send usual midi cc and it outputs the sysex which you'll have to enter. If you can't achieve what you want, ask to midi bome support and get an answer less thant 1 hour latter.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yes, I have the deadly Ambika. Great developer.
I also have the Bome Box with WiFi.
Also have Leap Motion.

I figure in a few more years my peanut sized brain might comprehend their amazing usefulness.