4pedals

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

4pedals

Post by yayajohn »

So to continue with my external pedals/patchbay project.
Soundbyte using Scope external effects modules out A16 to patchbay and back into Scop
https://soundcloud.com/yayajohn/4pedals (some popping/crackling i'm going to have to track down :roll: )
Signal chain:
Rev2 - mixer -ADA ADAT - Scope -
External effects module - A16 Zlink - patchbay - KMA Horizont - patchbay - A16zlink - Scope external effects module-
connected subsequently to 3 other external effects modules (TC Helix, Timeline, Big Sky)
Externaleffects.JPG
Externaleffects.JPG (277.5 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
dawman

Re: 4pedals

Post by dawman »

Awesome.
Curious why you run them in Series rather than parallel or separate channels?
dawman

Post by dawman »

Share a pic of your hardware.
Do you use a Pedaltrain Pedal board or anything like that?
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

yeah, well it's a huge spaghetti mess and embarrassing so I won't share a pic. Truth is I'm out of room in my small space and got no energy for a rewire so it is what it is. Running in series is just one option I've been experimenting with, routing parallel being one. Each has it's own unique sound I guess. What i'm trying to avoid is having to re-patch the cables every time I want to change things up. There's a price to be paid for that kind of flexibility though. (latency and phase would be my guess but what the hell, i'm running 2 phasers anyhow)
The good news is that I can hear no noticeable latency even in this config of sending the signal out 4 consecutive times. Just goes to show another example of how great the Scope Xite system is. (of course in this ambient example you wouldn't but I've tried different types of music too and it works)
Would like to hear more of your thoughts and experiences on this.
Marco

Post by Marco »

How did you create the external Master effect device?
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Marco wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:40 am How did you create the external Master effect device?
Marco, they are in the tools section. There are a few different types which you can then label and save, then each time you reload that device all the I/O connections are already set. But remember to also load the hardware I/O modules in the routing window, or save those I/O in the default project. For example if you have an an outboard reverb connected via analog source and destination, load those hardware modules then load the master effects device from Tools, add the analog source and analog dest in the bottom drop down in Master Effect device surface window, label it as "Name of your external reverb" and save device as same name. Next time you want to use in a project, first load analog source and a analog dest into routing window, then load Reverb device. You will also notice that the I/O modules themselves will then no longer show the connectors. That's it.

It is useful sometimes, when you have a lot of outboard and can't always remember what is connected to what, although I also have a text file with all my physical outboard connections. :)
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

t_tangent wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:20 am
Marco wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:40 am How did you create the external Master effect device?
Marco, they are in the tools section. There are a few different types which you can then label and save, then each time you reload that device all the I/O connections are already set. But remember to also load the hardware I/O modules in the routing window, or save those I/O in the default project. For example if you have an an outboard reverb connected via analog source and destination, load those hardware modules then load the master effects device from Tools, add the analog source and analog dest in the bottom drop down in Master Effect device surface window, label it as "Name of your external reverb" and save device as same name. Next time you want to use in a project, first load analog source and a analog dest into routing window, then load Reverb device. You will also notice that the I/O modules themselves will then no longer show the connectors. That's it.

It is useful sometimes, when you have a lot of outboard and can't always remember what is connected to what, although I also have a text file with all my physical outboard connections. :)
Yes they are very useful. So to elaborate a little further:
What I do is load all of the I/O modules in my default project and move them out of the way. When you load one of your External Effects Modules you will see the connection disappear from your I/O module.
Why to use them?
-saves time
-no need to remember your I/O once you create each module
-signal level boost or reduce and wet-dry adjustments. Also, VU level info(on Master External Effect module only)
-you can use the modules in insert slots. (use carefully though)
-a bypass button
Marco

Post by Marco »

Thx for explanation. Cool to have it.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!