Y splitter

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

Y splitter

Post by yayajohn »

Does a 1/4" Y splitter cable degrade the quality of the signal if only one side is used at a time? (2 inputs to 1 output)

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YPP-118-inc ... F4+y+cable
garyb

Re: Y splitter

Post by garyb »

yes, but for practical purposes, it is probably fine, assuming good cable and no bizarre impedance mismatches.
cortone

Post by cortone »

Are you splitting, or merging (2 inputs to 1 output)? Because that cable is separating a stereo into two mono signals (or vice versa), there are two separate audio paths, and therefore no impedance mismatch between the paths. If your are splitting a mono signal into separate signals, Garyb is right, there is likely no impact at all at audio rates and such short distances with only a single connection. Where you might run into a problem is if you are splitting out to both connectors into mismatched impedances such as consumer on one side and pro on the other. That could produce a mess.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Well actually i'm sort of merging 2 signal paths to one but not to be used at the same time, just for convenience. One from effects send from the mixer the other from a DAC into my patchbay.
Hmm I will have to read up on impedance, that may possibly be an issue.
valis

Post by valis »

Not at the same time? This sounds more like a switch is needed, which would avoid most issues.

Also, if you have a patchbay, you can simply use this! Both outputs patched to appropriate outputs, the input that you're trying to split attached to an input, and the 'switch' is the patch cable moving to connect to the appropriate output...
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

valis wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:56 pm Not at the same time? This sounds more like a switch is needed, which would avoid most issues.

Also, if you have a patchbay, you can simply use this! Both outputs patched to appropriate outputs, the input that you're trying to split attached to an input, and the 'switch' is the patch cable moving to connect to the appropriate output...
Yes I guess I could just swap the patch cable on the patchbay when needed. uhhgg, that would mean I would have to get organized and label everything. My eternal laziness dictates a set-and-forget philosophy. :P Actually I like to minimize the time I have to wear the engineer hat and spend more time with the artist hat on.
I guess there is another option that utilizes the half normal type switches on the patchbay but i'm frying my brain everytime I try and sort that one out.
Can you give me a link to the type switches you mentioned?
Hopefully there are some cheap ones, otherwise I'm going to give the y splitter a shot and see if it works out