Waldorf Kyra (Valkyrie)

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Bud Weiser

Re: Waldorf Kyra (Valkyrie)

Post by Bud Weiser »

Marco wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:18 pm This product is so boring like hell! It seems to be only interesting because of it's vast calculating Power. But what does it better? Keyboard and synthesizer technology seems to be at it's end! For me, this is a Marketing Trick! A last ditch attempt to squeaze money out of your pocket. But what can you play more on it.

I love the old machines, yes and they are technically outdated. But I can make great music with it.

You are the Musican, not your Instrument.

That's why I hate kyra. It Shows you a wrong direction. But get it, if you really like it!
It´s for keyboard PLAYERS,- not for guitar players programming sequencer music.

What does it better (?) ... well,-

to me, it seems to be a very cool replacement/alternative to the ACCESS Virus TI(2) still running on very outdated Motorola DSPs.
And it offers up to 9 insert FX per "part" which is 1 more than I get out of a Kurzweil PC3 in program mode.
And I´d love to play up to 8 MIDI parts/zones w/ up to 32 voices per part in realtime for the layers and splits.
And I´m interested in it because it´s FPGA technology what the famous HX3 organ module also is ...
And I like it works as a fully fledged USB audio and MIDI interface,- and it´s form factor, size and weight too.

I own and use MANY old machines anyway and know their advantages and disadvantages very well,- but thx for the hint.

I dunno which quality the Waldorf synth keyboard actions actually are,- maybe I wait for a keyboard-version to decide.

Others want to know 1st how the filters are,- that´s o.k.,- but I cannot remember Waldorf ever made mistakes when it came to filters.

And yes, it isn´t a Quantum module.
I guess Waldorf wants you to buy both or decide for one or the other.

:)

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

dsps really do not become outdated, in the sense that updating them does not lead to improved sound.

i got no problem with the synth, though.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:44 pm dsps really do not become outdated, in the sense that updating them does not lead to improved sound.

i got no problem with the synth, though.

You mean "Kyra" or "Virus TI(2) ?

B.t.w.,- we´re in the same boat according to sound and Marco at least is somewhat in the right direction when mentioning "synth developement being on it´s end".

At the end of the day, usability is what matters.

I myself, I always found the "bread & butter" sound palette to be the most important because it made the jobs done quick,- but there are significant differences in quality recognizable when it comes to "bread & butter".
So, even synth developement might be on it´s end, there´s always room for improvements in regards of the already existing palette.

I myself, I never ever made the mistake, rating the power of a synth because of it´s factory patches, which might be designed in a hurry demonstrating a synth´s features,- or from watching a demo vid on youtube.
The vid is o.k. and better than nothing,- that´s it.

I myself, I grabbed something from the vid and the specs I´ve read,- maybe because I have some experience w/ hardware synths since the 70s.
I imagine this synth offers a lot of modulation features, which up to now, I only get from the Oberheim Xpander I own, but w/ much less MIDI CC inputs.
J.B. Solaris might be the other/better option,- but up to now isn´t available as a desktop module or rack.
I´m very interested in a Solaris rack b.t.w.,- and Holger knows ...

But,- when a FPGA is able delivering that much "real" OSCs, 128 voice polyphony and 8 MIDI parts w/ up to 32 voices, I dunno what the problem is.
At least, we´ll have to see if it´s true.
But will it be everything false advertisement ?

Access Virus Ti(2) and Motorola ...

You´re right !
But the synth has limitations,- at least in polyphony when it comes to the better filters per voice.
And there aren´t that much MIDI parts to be available at all, not mentioning the FX ...

Virus Ti(2) was and is a great sounding VA,.- but Kyra might beat it in several ways.
If it does soundwise we´d only see in upcoming in-depth tests,- or purchase and test yourself.

*** former post partially deleted +++

I normally don´t spread too much info about me over the web and it wasn´t my intention showing up.
I just only had enough from that kind of babbling and wanted Marco to know I have enough contacts also in his hometown and elsewhere to find out who he really is.

Who can say which machine design goes into the right or wrong direction ?

Just only because there´s a renaissance of retro machines where we patch cables again now, doesn´t mean that´s all we need to make music now and in future.
In fact, that would mean his assortment of Behringer synths and Eurorack modules makes SCOPE incl. stock- as also 3rd party devices obsolete.

It´s all too much focussed on the home studio/DAW meanwhile and there are still musicians out there needing MIDI multi timbrality, preset management and MIDi program changes working.

B.t.w.,- I got the Reason 11 upgrade and there´s the new VST3 rack instead of rewire.
I was shocked MIDI program changes don´t work anymore w/ Reason devices being loaded into the VST3 rack,- and since I started dealing w/ a 64Bit system and installed 64Bit plugins, I learned and remembered how good the 32Bit plugins were because they almost all worked w/ MIDI program changes.
But 32Bit will disappear,- and since Steinberg decided going VST3 only in future, consequently ditching old-school MIDI Program Changes for VST3,- hardware synths/modules like Waldorf Kyra will become more important again.
And I still hope for the arrival of the Solaris 1HU "blackbox" !

Slightly off topic:

Meanwhile I´m really pi##ed about the people picking on SCOPE developement, slowly damaging a idealistic companys reputation.
Since a long time, all here know there´s only little manpower and all needs much more time compared to other soft-/hardware manufacturers,- at least when comparing w/ the bigger ones.
OTOH I´m sure there are lots of other small (also boutique) companies fighting w/ similar problems out there.

So, when users are so much unsatisfied w/ what they allready own and use because progress is too slow, why not selling old Creamware cards and move on instead complaining all the time.
There´s always the option purchasing new hardware like XITE later and come back when developement and functionality is on the expected level. No ?

... just sayin´ ...

:)

Bud
Last edited by Bud Weiser on Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Budweiser, I hear you talking only about YOU YOU YOU are an egocentric swanky as. You are Mr. Superstar? Are you Mr. Big? But you act more like a pig! Are Michael Jackson? Did you play in a Band like acdc. No I didn't, and I never said. But your egocentric behavour is really Unbelievable and stupid!

From now I am not talking to YOU anymore!
Last edited by Marco on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
garyb

Post by garyb »

ok, just opinions about gear...please play nice everyone. no matter who started it, we all suffer.

use whatever you like. my opinion might be right or wrong, but if something works for you, what does it matter?

obviously there is a place for this instrument. whether any music that matter to anyone gets made with it or not, it still might be fun and something worth trying and/or using. i'm a terrible guitar player, a worse keyboard player, and a mediocre engineer so i've never seen tools for music that didn't have the possibility of doing something cool. i have my preferences, of course. i also tend to prefer the actual thing that everyone copies more than the copy. that doesn't make anyone else inferior. my awesomeness does that. my work has made a few people happy, and even found it's way onto the charts, so i almost feel like a success. pretty awesome, right?

anyway, i keep striving for a clearer vision of music. i don't think gear can help with that so much. it's nice having new gear for sure. enjoy it when you get it, and do some nice music with it.

stop the fighting, please.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Gary, NOW BW did it again, please erase my Account. There are much better places to talk about something beautiful like music in the internet, than here. Haba is gone and me too!!!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
garyb

Post by garyb »

wow.
ok, you're deleted.
valis

Post by valis »

He's been salty since he returned.

I agree with Gary btw, I have no issue with someone defending themselves but returning fire and escalating is probably not going to be allowed to go too far with us sitting on the front porch of the Z in our rocking chairs. :)