What happened with Sampletank guys?

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

What happened with Sampletank guys?

Post by Nestor »

Remember? We used to talk quite a lot about it years ago, but I haven’t heard anyone in here talking about it anymore… Are there some users of Sampletank still in this forum? It was an innovative and revolutionary product in those days. Today, with Kontakt and Steinberg Halion, it seems to have been left aside. What do you know about it?
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Marco

Re: What happened with Sampletank guys?

Post by Marco »

I still use it! It's good for bread & Butter sounds. What I like is the easy way of stacking sounds.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Ok, there is one survivor still, that's nice :) Which version are you at, is that 3?
Marco

Post by Marco »

No 2. Old but good. I like sample tank because it can substitude a typical rompler hardware I used to play. But today I have the romplers back in my Studio because no vst can really substitude. I mean a Roland JV1080 jv880, a d110, a D550 etc. They can't be really substituded by any vst Plugin. But sample tank is very close.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I see.
Thanks.

I used to use a lot Hipersonic, a Steinberg rompler, :roll: Yes, it was hipersonic 2, pretty useful, people didn't like it much but for a composer it was a great tool to have at hand, perhaps doing what Sampletank does today for you.
Marco

Post by Marco »

I really loved hypersonic, I would like to install it again but Steinberg does not care about us old guys, hypersonic succs on 64 bit DAW. And this is not a properitar system like a hardware synthesizer running with 220 volts and Real circurits real parts pumpt by electricity and hardwired handcrafted stuff. I like Real stuff, self running Systems. Scope is a hybrid product running with Windows, one man in Siegburg keeps it alive. He is the Robinhood of the scopers. My oldest Instrument is a hohner pianet from 1968 and no problem to integrate into any mixer or recording System after 50 years. And nothing sounds like the originals.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

A version of Sampletank came with my Band-In-A-Box a couple of years ago. It was maybe version 1. It wasn't too bad, the sample set was limited to what BIAB used and as I recall it wasn't even a full GM set.

Then ST2 came out and I was able to upgrade really cheap. It actually sounded pretty good. There are some really nice libraries out there that are cheap, and the Miroslav strings are very nice as well. I'm not going to compare to the "higher end" products, but I was able to upgrade to ST3 for cheap and that is a new engine with a plethora of tweaking available as well as an excellent set of effects. For my investment path it really was worth it for such a flexible product, stacking, layers, effects, inexpensive libraries. Nice to have in your back pocket, very convenient and not too CPU hungry. Samples load fast, interface is clean. Now they have Syntronik, which is dedicated to legacy synths and they sound really nice. You can mix and match filters between all the synths so you can grab an SEM or a Moog Ladder and stick it anywhere you want in the broad set of synth offerings. With everything else out there I think it's a player and not a poser and of course it sounds great through Scope. IMHO.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I have heard the demos of Syntronic and it sounds really, really cool. Loved the approaches they have taken on filters. That makes Syntronic stand out of the crowd
Marco

Post by Marco »

I like syntronik but will not buy it because I have enough sounds and I would never miss syntronik analog sounds. But if I was a millionar and a day had 48h a day, I would not hesitate to buy it!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Yes, the Aruturia V Collection, for instance, it is more and less the same. Nevertheless, the whole market agrees that Syntronic has gone a pretty interesting step forward, and this particular collection may be the best emulation of those old synths ever build to this moment. Add to this their four layer built system with great sound sculpting possibilities, and don’t forget their “MAGNIFICENT” effects, for me, one of the very best in existence, regardless of price and platform, and I mean, on the entire worldwide market.

A friend of mine swore to never in his life through away not even a single of the instruments he would be buying through his life. Of course he is a musician, and a romantic too… :P

I actually dislike to do it too, I don’t like to say goodbye to my instruments, be it physical or virtual. I tend to keep and use even the old plugins I have, but all of us have been in the DAW music business for such a long time that, forcibly, there are quite a few obsolete things that must go out of your system, giving so room to the new stuff, tens of times better than before…
Marco

Post by Marco »

This romantic friend could be me, because I do not sell any of my Instruments. Because I did this, I have lost so many beautiful instruments many years ago. But one day I decided not selling any of my instruments anymore. Today after this decison I have a house full of stacked instruments - and I have a big really house. This is not only a collectors fun, I really play them all! So it is collected for using them, not collecting for the property :-? that's stupid.

In the Software World you are sometimes forced to say goodbye and through it into the garbage because the wonderful mayfly called Windows mayfly called Windows should be renamed into Mayfly, you are periodically forced to bomb your beloved virtual instruments away for a seemingly better one or only because a system gets
new improvements e. G. 32 to 64 bits. Good reason to buy all updates or just something new, better faster... But what it it? Would you throw your minimoog into garbage because it is from 1975 and outdated?

I found a really good offer for an 2004 old korg legacy Hardware Controller for less money. I bought it to controll any of my instruments. But first I also tried the korg legacy Software for the ms20. This Controller is a 1:1 copy of the original and the Software too. It has not very much additional improvements in respect of the original ms20, just a few, like sound presets and polyphony. The Controller makes this old Software piece from 2004 feel like a hardware synthesizer when you tweak the sound with this dedicated Controller! I was really astonished that Our brain is able to lead to believe so convincingly that such an outdated scrap can sound so good? The sound is impressive sometimes you notice its digital ancestry, but what the fuck! YOU GOT FUN!

This example Shows me that the music industry does always try to influence our brains and virtual needs so heavy that our little brains are to fast switched off for rational decitions by adverds.

I am happy that a proprietary in its self closed system like scope could survive because one hero from siegburg rescued us scopers by providing us the key to win 10 with scope 7. This opens the phantastic world of scope again. No matter how old your hardware is!

If you change always your equipment you can not get used to it, can't love it really, so keep it and good.