Aturia V Collection 6

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Aturia V Collection 6

Post by dante »

Arturia just announced a new version of the V Collection, their suite of meticulously re-created vintage synths (and organs, electric pianos, and a piano because why not):

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog ... n/overview

They have four new products this time around: Buchla Easel V, DX7 V, CMI V, and Clavinet V.

Apparently the Easel is a beast & ruffled a few feathers here http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/ ... nt-1371721.

I'm going for the CMI at least.

Xmas anyone ?
Mr Arkadin

Re: Aturia V Collection 6

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Many aeons ago I did a course on the CMI II (I think it was) so I might be tempted to remind me of the nightmare that was Page R (I assume they've included it).

I wonder how useful as a 'sampler with character' it would be.

The Synclavier also interests me, but none of the others really do.
Marco

Post by Marco »

I like the products of arturia very much. I'm astonished how creative and powerful they are. There are strong software products and also high quality hardware products like hardware controllers communicate with there software or standalone analog hardware synthesizer and drummachines.
If I was new in this business I would not hesitate to buy one or more of arturias products because they are so complete but not as complex as NI. I have the spark drum machine. This big controller is a great piece of hardware. And the software offers a great collection of sounds. It combines samples and physical modeling and the results are phenomenal.

Now with their new version 6 they have expanded their collection. I wonder that they have recreated the DX7. None of any software or hardware recreation could ever satisfy me, because I am a real DX7 fan. NI s DX7 was a joke and most other vst FM simulations were disappointing. Only the FM for Scope from DAS is wonderful, but it needs a lot of dsp and there are not very much presets available and manual converting is something for people with a lot of time. If I was a programmer I would make a converter. Maybe somebody wants to make one?

Now, I don't know what arturia did, how their FM 7 sounds? If you have the scope then you don't need the arturia because scope sounds perfect without eating your PC performance at breakfast.

I Have the DX7 original at home and I know exactly the sound of it including its hum and hiss ;).
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

These new instruments seem to be also very nice. I have not played them yet, but heard a demo of the DX7 and some people playing it, and it sounds pretty good to me, even if I had one once.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

I got the new V6 collection. As with the synclavier, the CMI lacks some functions. Some of the old VSTs have some trouble (crashes, blacked-out VST panel, presets not loading etc). But the Arturia support is very helpful and for the time being, most problems are fixed.
Marco

Post by Marco »

I have now tested the V-collection and I must say WOW WOW WOW! The new synthesizers are the best I have heard with vst technology! This is amazing stuff! The DX7 kills all other Plugins trying to emulated the old DX7. And all the other New synthesizers are wonderful. The old synthesizers were updated and have an enhanced sounds and functions. I hate NI but I love Arturia.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
astroman

Post by astroman »

Mr Arkadin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:01 am Many aeons ago I did a course on the CMI II (I think it was) so I might be tempted to remind me of the nightmare that was Page R (I assume they've included it).
Page R is my favourite midi sequencer, operated with a cheapo stylus on the iPad... :D
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Marco wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:54 pm I have now tested the V-collection and I must say WOW WOW WOW! The new synthesizers are the best I have heard with vst technology! This is amazing stuff! The DX7 kills all other Plugins trying to emulated the old DX7. And all the other New synthesizers are wonderful. The old synthesizers were updated and have an enhanced sounds and functions. I hate NI but I love Arturia.
Don´t freak out too much !
I remember I didn´t like the Aturia V Collection when I had the impression it´s a nice collection of realistic pics, functionality close to the originals and unfortunately the same basic sound for all the emulations included.
So, you say that has changed ?
I´m also not sure about all the included plugins are true Arturia devices ...
At least the "new" combo organs were freeware before, being created by the excellent coder "martinic ...
https://web.archive.org/web/20160401151 ... om/combof/
https://web.archive.org/web/20140114033 ... om/combov/

Already the freeware´s sound was top notch,- on PC and MAC !

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Bud Weiser wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:10 pm
I´m also not sure about all the included plugins are true Arturia devices ...

Your suspicion is correct :) . Atleast when it comes to their Synclavier V as well wich is mostly developed and ported by the original developer and not Arturia. So you are right Arturia definitely did not develop some of their new plugins. I suspect they did not develop the DX7 emulation as well but can't say for sure.

I agree with Marco about the DX7 emulation, it sounds great and just may be the best dx7 emulation in the box. They got the tone and other aspects right IMO. I checked out some of their DX7 Youtube videos and so far I am very impressed. I'm using my cheap SKYPE headphones so my impression may change later but so far I am very impressed.

I've always disliked Arturia's cheap pluginish sound of their VST synths but I have to say the Synclavier, the B3 Organ you mentioned, and the DX7 FM synth are all impressive (I believe all 3 were developed by someone else), but the older synths they have in the V collection disappoint me every time I check them out over the years, that's why I'm a little reluctant to do so again. Arturia have never been that good at plugin synths IMO but maybe that has changed with V 6. I do know those three emulations and ports I mentioned are very good and I don't usually say that about Native synths and have never been much of a believer in Native synths and never held the popular view that they're so great, but those 3 from Arturia and Tone2's Icarus have truly impressed me to some degree. I did buy Icarus but don't know yet if I'm impressed with Arturia enough to buy, time will tell. I've never been a fan of Arturia or Native synths in general but I will give credit where credit is due cause Arturia's newer 3 synths are really good to my first impressions!

EDITED
Marco

Post by Marco »

:D ARTURIA :D rules! You forgot the CMI! An amazing emulation of the original. No matter missing Page R. I have Page DAW! Connect the best worlds together. Arturia did a really Phantastic Job. I tried out the 3 filters package, and they are what everyone needs. There is a preamps package too, but they are more for sound editing engeneers.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Marco wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:50 pm :D ARTURIA :D rules! You forgot the CMI! An amazing emulation of the original. No matter missing Page R. I have Page DAW! Connect the best worlds together. Arturia did a really Phantastic Job. I tried out the 3 filters package, and they are what everyone needs. There is a preamps package too, but they are more for sound editing engeneers.

I hadn't listened to enough of the CMI's audio-demos to form any opinion yet, but I will at some point. I will be looking deeper into all their latest instruments, that DX7 emulation has been on my mind.
borg

Post by borg »

I was tempted to get the bundle at the low price a few weeks ago, but didn't. Apparently Arturia stuff is causing lots of problems in Ableton Live, but that most probably is Live's fault. Anyway, too many good stuff on my computer and in the studio already to spend yet more.

I simply love Ableton Operator, Wavelength sparC is the king (and all the other Scope goodies), I like my UVI Darklight a lot for the CMI emu, if you need a true DX7 emu, you can try https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/ , and it's free! (I only tried the presets, tweaking was not that straightforward without reading the manual and no real DX7 experience. Sounds great to my ears, many original preset cartridges, I think it's possible to import DX7 presets.)
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

borg wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:27 am ... if you need a true DX7 emu, you can try https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/ , and it's free! (I only tried the presets, tweaking was not that straightforward without reading the manual and no real DX7 experience. Sounds great to my ears, many original preset cartridges, I think it's possible to import DX7 presets.)
I owned the original "vintage" DX7 and still own DX7mkII FD and a TX816 ... (TG77 too).

I confirm "Dexed" is the best native VST DX7 emulation out there,- and yes, import of DX7 sysex files is possible as well as using "Dexed" as a software-programmer for the hardware DX7, DX7mkII "voices" (not performances !) or the TF-1 modules in a TX816.

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Sounddesigner wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:57 pm ... the B3 Organ you mentioned,...
I mentioned the combo organs (VOX & Farfisa),- not the B3.

Bud
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Bud Weiser wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:55 pm
Sounddesigner wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:57 pm ... the B3 Organ you mentioned,...
I mentioned the combo organs (VOX & Farfisa),- not the B3.

Bud
Ah, my mistake. I have not checked out that combo organs yet. Atleast the b3 investigation was not in vaine since I did like some of what I heard :) . Arturia definitely seem to have a few better instruments than before, these newer ones are definitely worth checking out.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Sounddesigner wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:21 am Arturia definitely seem to have a few better instruments than before, these newer ones are definitely worth checking out.
The drawback is, at least two of these "better instruments" were 32Bit and 64Bit freeware before for PC and MAC users and now aren´t anymore.

Memorymoon ME80 http://www.memorymoon.com/me80.htm is the better and cheaper Yammi CS80 IMO.
I´ll spare you the discussion about Arturia´s MOOG, SCI and Roland emulations which I tested many years ago while OTOH I´m previously willing to accept those plugins might have been (somewhat) approved over the years.

Synclavier as a synth I´m not interested in ´cause it was mediocre FM where Yammi and Casio FM/PM already were lightyears ahead.
As a sampler, well ... you just only need the library,- if you need it at all.
Fairlight is more or less the same ...

The Synclavier and Fairlight sample libraries were pretty small and lo-fi and looking at these sample sets, I don´t see any advantage over p.ex. the EMU Emulator II original and OMI "Universe of Sounds" EII libraries, especially when using a Oberheim DPX-1 sample player for playback, offering the original SSM filters.
I kept two of these machines to have one running in good working condition always.

Samplers developed, hardware and software.
AKAI became studio standard since the appearence of the S-900/ S-1000 and EMU always was from the very beginning ´til the flagships of EOS series samplers EIV.

Man, I´d wish for loading AKAI, EMU Emax I & II as well as EMU II & III sample formats into STS and STS offering different filters incl. SSM, CEM etc. and working in 8Bit, 12Bit and 16Bit playback modes covering the vinatge appeal and I were done and ready to sell the hardware samplers and sample players I kept from the past.

B.t.w.,- Bitley http://bitley.laconicsounds.net/ has a great library for Phead Reason as well as for NI Kontakt 5 going far beyond the original Fairlight CMI sample set.

:wink:

Bud
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Thanks for the Dexed! Didn't know about that. Just put it through chorus and phaser pedals, and Bassman 10 vsts. Expression pedal for Mod Wheel, I'm back there in 1983. It's a blast. :D
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays