documentary about the birth of electronic music

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

hubird

documentary about the birth of electronic music

Post by hubird »

Well, modern electronic music it is, say from the early sixties. Shown this evening on Dutch public tv.

Nice doc with a lot of historical contributors on electronic instruments and dito music.

Most of it is in English, so the Dutch voice over isn't really disturbing or necessary.

After the adds and a 'funny' intro of some students in the 70ties you get a serie of highlights from the doc itself, to get an impression of what will follow.
If you wanne skip all that jump over to 4:35 to start 'Planet Electro'.
It's full of nice original videos and todays interviews with the original guys, instrument builders as well as musicians :)

Moog, Ikutaro Kakehashi (Roland), Rick Wakeman, Krafwerk, Human Leage, New Order, FR-1 Rhythm Ace, Firelight, Emulator, Linndrum, TR 606, 808, 909, Chicago South Side and Detroid, Frankie Nuckles, Afrika Bambaataa, Derrick May, etc. etc. etc.

A lot of attention for the eighties, but I was more interested in the late eighties and the nineties, as then the English and continental European house music got big.

Just forget about the very last part where - for obligatory reasons - there's some attention to the Dutch wave of Trance dance music as made popular by guys like Tiësto, Afrojack, Armin van Buren, and now 'DJ of the world' dutch Martin Garrix.
Trance, I hate it :D

Have fun :)
(Limited time acces to this 'missed tv program' file).

http://www.npo.nl/planet-elektro/22-10- ... ON_1248810
borg

Re: documentary about the birth of electronic music

Post by borg »

It was a good watch! funny seeing the original adds for 303 and 606 with Oscar Peterson and how the intentional use of the classic Roland dance classics was a fail.
Egyptian Lover? Never heard of him, but sounds nice.
I was a bit disappointed when they jumped from early Detroit Techno to (the indeed horrible) current Dutch trance/EDM scene. I would have rather seen Speedy J have a go.

The Roger Linn interview, with a the end his Linnstrument, was interesting to say the least. Fairlight was funny too.
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
hubird

Post by hubird »

The Linninstrument is conceiving, fantastic actually.
Didn't know the fairlight is Australian :)

That jump to the trance music is probably done for subsidiary rules or for viewing ratings.
Looked very artificial. An ugly end.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

Difficult to watch fro m Japan. Needed a NL VPN, which worked (somehow). Amazingly, I could understand all spoken languages.
hubird

Post by hubird »

DragonSF wrote:Difficult to watch fro m Japan. Needed a NL VPN,
that's sad, so this is probably the case for everyone outside Holland and Dutch speaking Vlandria in Belgium.
Sad, I didn't know it :D
Glad you was able to check the doc anyway, more or less :)
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

hubird wrote:
DragonSF wrote:Difficult to watch fro m Japan. Needed a NL VPN,
that's sad, so this is probably the case for everyone outside Holland and Dutch speaking Vlandria in Belgium.
Sad, I didn't know it :D
Glad you was able to check the doc anyway, more or less :)
Was nice to see all friends from Kraftwerk, Yes, Moog etc. But -as has been said - the techno/house/acid/hip-hop/dance was unnecessary. The Linnstruments looks promising, but too much at he moment. Thanks for the link anyway.
hubird

Post by hubird »

My pleasure :)
DragonSF wrote: But -as has been said - the techno/house/acid/hip-hop/dance was unnecessary.
Borg and I were talking only about the today's Dutchie Trance style...
For the rest I love electronic dance music.

All styles however were or are part of the history of EDM, necessary or not :)
I consider the (pop) musicians from the seventies and eighties using electronic instruments as pioneers, but the real stuff came after it, if you ask me :)