Haha, got WDL compiling

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

Haha, got WDL compiling

Post by kensuguro »

I spent a few hours setting up visual studio and WDL framework, and was able to get it compiling. I do some c# (within Unity3D), python, ruby, and a basic C, but rather unfortunately C++ is going to new, but hopefully I can pick up the basics from the practice projects. Coders would see that the problem with my repertoire is that they're all managed memory, and also don't make heavy use of pointers (C# does, but Unity's C# doesn't allow it), so that'll be a bit of a learning curve. Hopefully I can get something functional soon.

The main reason behind this was that I made a transient manipulating (transient boosting) vst and a mid side separated "slew" smoother in synthedit.. but I couldn't get it to work in 64bit. The mechanics of what I built is super simple, so coding it shouldn't be that bad. (I literally wrote in the equations into synthedit) It seems to be taking synthedit forever to get 64bit out of alpha stage, and for whatever reason, I can't get the 32 bit dll to bridge properly (in a stable manner) with jbridge. Worth a shot right.. I've been making games for 10 years now so might as well put the coding skills to good use.

Strangely, I've never written anything for audio in a traditional programming language, but more recently, since I've been doing a lot of coding for analytics, and that stuff is extremely similar to DSP, where you have a stream of stuff coming in, and you massage the hell out of it with a bunch of custom processors to suite your output needs, and instead of millions of rows and columns, it's sample position and amplitude.
tlaskows

Re: Haha, got WDL compiling

Post by tlaskows »

kensuguro wrote:I spent a few hours setting up visual studio and WDL framework, and was able to get it compiling. I do some c# (within Unity3D), python, ruby, and a basic C, but rather unfortunately C++ is going to new, but hopefully I can pick up the basics from the practice projects. Coders would see that the problem with my repertoire is that they're all managed memory, and also don't make heavy use of pointers (C# does, but Unity's C# doesn't allow it), so that'll be a bit of a learning curve. Hopefully I can get something functional soon.

The main reason behind this was that I made a transient manipulating (transient boosting) vst and a mid side separated "slew" smoother in synthedit.. but I couldn't get it to work in 64bit. The mechanics of what I built is super simple, so coding it shouldn't be that bad. (I literally wrote in the equations into synthedit) It seems to be taking synthedit forever to get 64bit out of alpha stage, and for whatever reason, I can't get the 32 bit dll to bridge properly (in a stable manner) with jbridge. Worth a shot right.. I've been making games for 10 years now so might as well put the coding skills to good use.

Strangely, I've never written anything for audio in a traditional programming language, but more recently, since I've been doing a lot of coding for analytics, and that stuff is extremely similar to DSP, where you have a stream of stuff coming in, and you massage the hell out of it with a bunch of custom processors to suite your output needs, and instead of millions of rows and columns, it's sample position and amplitude.
C++ is a disaster for anything complex where you have tons of objects (+inheritance) and multi-threading. But it doesn't sound like that's what you're trying to do. Good luck!

-Tom