Thank you, Planet Z

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Tau

Thank you, Planet Z

Post by Tau »

Hello Z,

Just wanted to share with you my joy of having performed my first live act as Aqob. This was a long time in preparation, but I finally pulled it through, and I couldn't have done it without the help of the members of this forum. As you can see in the picture, there's an XITE-1 right in front of me, connected to a Lenovo W520.

Aside from routing and mixing audio from Ableton Live, the XITE-1 is running a SpaceF LBH, Prodissey, U-Know and ModIII synths, a Vocodizer (the "fixed by djmicron" version, of course), as well as FX such as SC Plate X, Celmo Tape Delay, Shroomz Phase 18 etc. All this plus a few VSTs, all running @48KHz, 4ms. latency, with a lot of DSP and CPU overhead.

I did the mixing inside Live, using the "External Instrument" plugin... reason for this was that my mix controller sends each channels' CCs on a different channel, and, because the STM mixers can only receive in one channel, I would have to use Bome's to convert the MIDI messages, but I had no time to make such a preset and test it... So, Scope synths and the G2 connect to ASIO destinations, Ableton Live then outputs a Main mix and 4 AUX, that are mixed on a SpaceF MB7 before leaving the unit.

MIDI controllers were a Vestax VCM600 for mixing (12 channels), a NI X1 for triggering samples and controlling FX, iPad with Touchable for Live and the G2 doubles as a MIDI controller for the Scope synths, as well as synth.

I am amazed at the performance of the XITE and the Lenovo, never had experienced such a powerful combination before. Spot on recommendation form jksuperstar ;)

Still a few things to iron out, but definitely a good starting point. Thank you, Planet Z.

Edited, wrote Minimax for U-Know...
Last edited by Tau on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dante

Re: Thank you, Planet Z

Post by dante »

Sounds like you could use the same MIDI channelizer device that Siriusbliss has been after.

Anyway congrats on going live with XITE thats great.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

It's great to hear that! :) Congratulations and lots and lots of songs will come to be now... :wink:
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
garyb

Post by garyb »

:) :) :) !!!!!
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Cool. That's the laptop I'm looking to get this year. Seeing it in action live fills me with confidence.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Awesome! We have more equipment that's similar...I have yet to let go of my G2 as well.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Live Warriors are in growing numbers once again....

The picture is an excellent promo. It should be on your Marquis and flyers....

This makes me smile... :wink:
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Thats great, congratulations.

I hope to get my Xite out live this year too. Is there a live recording available ?
I would like to hear your performance.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Awesome!

Xite and Scope live RULES!

Congrats!

Have any audio to share?

Greg
Tau

Post by Tau »

Hey!

I uploaded some audio to go with the picture. It's not exactly from that performance, but it's from that set, and was recorded with same exact gear and in a single live take.

It's an hypnotic drony song, made mostly out of Scope synths, such as the U-Know for the Bass, Pro-Wave for the evolving arp, or bell-like sounds in the end from Bi-Osc (these last 2 were pre-recorded as audio clips). There's a couple of samples of watery sounds and the voice is synthesized.

You can have a listen here
Tau

Post by Tau »

And now, in true dawman style ;), here are some pics of the project window.

I didn't do any DSP optimizations, the project has always loaded and worked straight away.

There is one thing, though: if I turn on the laptop before turning on the XITE, I always get PCI overflow when Ableton loads (and only then). Booting, or rebooting, with the XITE turned ON has always worked :)

1. Routing Window

2. Scope Synths

3. Scope FX

4. Ableton Live Project

garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, the XITE should always be on before the laptop. it's really not hot-swappable.

very cool setup and show...
dante

Post by dante »

Great pics & labelling !!
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

Great posts - thanks - next time how about some video of the gig? Would love to see what you're doing live!
Tau

Post by Tau »

There is a video recording, but without sound... A friend is editing a few minutes worth, we'll overdub with a take from the rehearsals, or I'll just play it again, and post it online... It's a shame, because I'd really like to keep a recording of the gig...

What I'm doing mostly is just bringing channels in and out, tweaking parameters, triggering samples... there was very little "playing", in the usual sense, but a bit more than just pressing play :)

I forgot to tell you that the beautiful scenery was made by my girlfriend, she made a tree out of old branches and origami birds, and played with color spotlights to project the shadows onto the canvas- that should look great on the video.

My idea is to build upon this project and to gradually increase the amount of live stuff in relation to recorded clips. But for that, I need to sort out the control part. But this was built in a really short time, and can only get better :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

Tau, surely there will be fine trim there, make sure the Video guy pans across to see the dancing, hypnotic creatures to ensure a complete experience.
I gauge the fun of the room by the trim, and people dancing.

Sounds and Looks Great.............

Perhaps a Mr.T Starter Kit once you get popular.... :D