Top Three Albums of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Sounddesigner

Re: Top Three Albums of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's

Post by Sounddesigner »

garyb wrote:yeah.

lies, damn lies, and statistics is the old aphorism....

the word is that the entire music industry is down 46%. that's everyone involved, studios, labels, retailers, etc. the top of the industry is more solid than ever though. Adele actually has less competition than the Beatles ever did.

Adele having less competition is the first thing that came to my mind. The great artists/bands of the 60's, 70's, 80's, etc had MANY to contend with and really had to bring it. Adele does sound better to me than most artists i hear today, i can tolerate and even enjoy some of her music to an extent but she's far from greatness imo. She's just better than the vast majority that's around today and closest to what people want IMO.

And yes the fact that Record sales are declining is some evidence that music is less enjoyed and there is less competition today, plus i know many who grew up off music from decades past tend to all agree something has changed for the worst with today's music. My ears simply don't like the mainstream music generally anymore and almost all the top acts. Some try to blame piracy for the huge decline in sales and while i do believe piracy is indeed part of the problem i don't believe it's the majority part. Piracy has always been around, people have always sold bootleg tapes, etc. Many people like myself have no problem spending money on a album we view as quality work and musically pleasing, i just have'nt spent much cause i have'nt heard much. I buy faaar more old music than new.
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

you're obviously not alone.

i think a big part of the decline is just the inevitable devaluation that has to happen when everybody thinks they are or can be a real producer. hobbyists are not bad, but when professionals are downgraded to hobbyists the industry has to suffer. most of the people who have "studios" shouldn't(they should go to real studios and get professional assistance), and all of those with gear who say "i don't want to be an engineer, i just want to make music" should not buy anything technical(they should also go to professionals). there, now i've made my useless and meaningless proclamation! :lol:
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

One of the main reasons why i have become less interested in buying/listening to music from the last 10 years or so is because of the lack of dynamic range (loudness wars). Occasionally something comes along that I like but it certainly is way less frequent than it used to be!
Stuart.
dante

Post by dante »

Well often the musicians themselves recognise this and become the front line of defence. Alex Lifeson (Rush) acknowledges Vapor Trails (2002) was mastered much too hot :

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/archi ... 16859.html

That was a decade ago so this has been going on for some time now. I betcha they didnt let it happen on subsequent releases, so I'm going to give Clockwork Angels a try (released this year).