Top Three Albums of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Top Three Albums of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's

Post by dante »

For a ScopeRise article, I thought it interesting if everyone nominated their personal favourite top (up to 3) albums of each of the last 4 decades of last century. Optionally with a comment or two about thier choices.

To start the ball rolling :

60's
. St Peppers (The Beatles)
. Saucer Full of Secrets (Pink Floyd)
. Tommy (The Who)

70's
. Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd)
. Visions of the Emerald Beyond (Mahavishnu Orhcestra)
. Stairway to Heaven (Led Zepplin) EDIT : Led Zepplin IV is the ablum name DOH !

80's
. Hysteria (Def Leppard)
. Synchronicity (The Police)
. Three of a Perfect Pair (King Crimson)

90's
. Images and Words (Dream theatre)
. Motion in Still Life (Brian Transeau)
. Good News from the Next World (Simple Minds)
Last edited by dante on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Re: Top Three Albums of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's

Post by dawman »

The 60s
1) Jimi Hendrix Cry Of Love
2) The Doors
3) Creedance Clearwater Revival

The 70s
1) Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon
2) Herbie Hancock Thrust
3) Tale Spinnin Weather Report

The 80s
1) NWA Straight Outta Compton
2) Billy Idol Rebel Yell
3) Gino Vanelli Living Inside Myself
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

I'm not a real musician. I don't have any albums from the 60's or 70's.

80s
U2 - Joshua Tree
Paul Simon - Graceland
Simple Minds - Live in the City of Light

90s
Fishbone - Reality Of My Surroundings
Peter Gabriel - Us
Big Wreck - In Loving Memory Of
Stuart.
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

60's revolver
70's the aztecs live @ sunbury just kidding the bass player was me :-)
dante

Post by dante »

You're Billy Thorpe bassist ? My mrs and I went to see the Go Show a coupla months ago w/ all the oldies and Billy thorpe was in the video projections. I had the Live @ Sunbury album for several years until vinyl lost favour. With Skyhooks etc cant remember if Sherbert & The Masters Apprentices were on it.

XITE-1/4LIVE. The other Billy (Idol) rocks (love Whiplash Smile & Steve Stephens solo album Atomic Playboys) !
BASSDUDE. Big Simple Minds fan here too (got that double live album). They are playing the palais here in melb. later this year w/ Devo (saw The Minds last time there a coupla years back - Black and White tour - awesome).
garyb

Post by garyb »

i couldn't even start...
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

A nod to the Images and Words album too Dante.
Simple minds in Melbourne eh? Do you know what the line up will be? That live album got a caining from me!

Big thumbs up skwawks!
Stuart.
dante

Post by dante »

I'm assuming current lineup - eg

Jim Kerr vox, Charlie Burchill guitar, Mel Gaynor drums, Andy Gillespie keys and Ged Grimes on bass.

The Church are on the bill as well. So its a triple billing with Devo joining the party. Taking no bets the evening will have an 80's feel to it ..
Me$$iah

Post by Me$$iah »

Yeh...

This is way too hard a question.
rhythmaster

Post by rhythmaster »

60s:
1) The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society
2) The Beatles
3) Something Else By The Kinks

70s:
1) Tower Of Power - Ain't Nothing Stoppin' Us Now
2) XTC - Drums And Wires
3) The Stranglers - The Raven

80s:
1) ABC - The Lexicon Of Love * ( replaced Lenny Kravitz - Let Love Rule)
2) The Human League - Travelogue
3) The Kinks - Think Visual

90s:
1) Mother Earth - People Tree
2) Crowded House - Together Alone
3) Level 42 - Forever Now
Last edited by rhythmaster on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XITE-1, Cubase Pro 10.5 - WIN 10 64-bit
http://www.seismofunk.com
dante

Post by dante »

garyb wrote:i couldn't even start...
Looks like we got Prog/Hard/Soft Rock /Fusion/New Wave well covered, so an injection of more pure Jazz Blues would be a welcome addition - Im assuming this towards your taste from the Patrick Butler production.
Me$$iah wrote:Yeh... This is way too hard a question.
Whatever jumps into mind first, is the easiest way to answer this.

I mean, I could have spent hours agonizing over whether I should have substituted Rush for Dream Theatre, or Black Sabbath for Led Zeppelin, or Weather Report for Mahavishnu but decided not to.

Thanks all for contributions so far...some good stuff.
garyb

Post by garyb »

my taste!!?? :lol:

i play Reggae, it's my favorite, but i LOVE everything from Japanese Enka to American Soul, Bluegrass, Native American pop, Russian folk music, Bavarian OomPah, Celtic, Moorish, Gypsy, Nigerian Pop, Congolese Rhumba, Township, Arabic, Persian, Indian, Turkish, Greek, Morricone, Elvis.... :lol: and everything in between.

i've heard SO MANY GREAT albums, i can't even start to think about a top three...everytime i start to think of a good one, another pops into my head. i give up. even sticking to one genre, this kind of judgement is meaningless to me, unless it means that i find a great album that i missed.

personally, i think that most of what gets mentioned in this type of excercise is great, but pedestrian at the same time...

oops! i had wet blanket mode on again! sorry! :lol:
dante

Post by dante »

Yeah I fully agree its kinda pedestrain in a way.

I suppose to me its just as much about what I missed in its heyday as much as what I thought was good. Like in the 60's -Creedence Clearwater. I heard of them of course but never really listened to em. Same with some others mentioned here.

So after this excersize, I'll go and listen to some of the classics mentioned here, due to the high degree of musical appreciation here at the 'Z' and plugging into it. And if others get some of the same out of it, maybe it was worth the effort.

I never listened to Def Leppard in the 80's, but the mrs got me onto them 4 years ago and I was blown away by thier sound - 3 decades on.

And yeah, Reggae / Dub etc - I never listened to much of that until Catscratch's posting it, and some of it quite good.
garyb

Post by garyb »

60's 70's 80's and 90's all marked the different styles of Reggae just as American, European, Australian and other pop. we could have fistfights over what three of each period from just that one genre.

i was just listening to some very pop music from the 70's today on you tube. it was pretty cheesy stuff, but the musical sophistication of the mainstream stuff was pretty awesome looking at it now.

there's still great music, but the late 60's and early 70's had every form imaginable displayed and all at masterful levels and it was ALL good for everyone to like. one didn't have to like or hate something because they were withe or black or cool or not cool. the damn radio stations played stuff from every conceivable point of view. in fact the late 70's was the begginning of the truly formatted radio station that seperated social groups by which format they belonged to. when i hear those perfect recordings from the mid 70's with players who didn't make mistakes in the middle of very detailed arrangements that were actually PLAYED sometimes in one take(Todd Rundgren "hello it's me" sure there were o/ds but most of it is live) with lyrics that told a complete story withing 3-4 minutes, with singers that didn't need autotune to sound good, i am ashamed that i ever went along with the idea that it was crap because it was "commercial".

i realize that culture has truly peaked and Devo wasn't kidding when they spoke about de-evolving into spud-boys. :lol:

music has become much more style conscious as the recrding industry really got going from the 50's on. currently, we reward spectacle more than musical talent or content. it's a little disheartening, just like the idea of using a bunch of plugins to make something listenable, rather than making great recordings of actual performed music. i like the way that current pop music manipulates sounds, i just wish it wasn't just a race to the bottom. but then who keeps their mouth shut and actually spends time just listening to music with friends anymore?

it's cool knowing that i'm old now, though. :lol:
dante

Post by dante »

Well, its good coz your old and have opinions. Since the 70's I didnt mind sitting and listening with friends to Mahavisnu and Abba the same night. We also listened to 'I dont like cricket' by 10CC - but at the same time we knew theres way more to Reggae than that, coz over in another house they were playing Bob Marley.
garyb

Post by garyb »

wow ABBA...

there are those who find the Carpenters as the finest act ever. i'm not one of them, but i can't deny the quality either. :lol: that was a great album even though i'm not really that interested in putting it on...anyway my point is that i can't even choose my favorite three even limited to my own genre. there's just too much to like, for someone who loves music anyway.

something to talk about though...

"i propose that Live Music is Better bumper stickers be issued"
Neil Young-Union Man
dante

Post by dante »

I liked The Carpenters 'Superstar' song at the time - still think its a great melody...like some of Tom Jones's .... and Neil Young was a great favourite in the 70's, although a friend of mine who attended one of his concerts said the volume was a contributing factor to his tinnitus.

Is he really that loud live ?
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, ridiculous sound levels were part of the stupidity of the 70's 80's and 90's.

i blame Blue Cheer.... :lol:
dante

Post by dante »

Whilst one of your pet peeves may be the race to the bottom, my pet peve is this race to the top.

'Adelle Bigger Than Floyd' FFS !

http://www.easymix.com.au/mildura/index ... than-floyd

This done by comaparing Adelle's album to the likes of the big ones from Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Jackson (Thriller), Queen, Beatles (St Peppers). Well, to be fair, I havent heard it. Maybe it is good ? But geeze, the music buying population is way bigger and on-line now that isnt it a bit unfair comparing to the marketing conditions of those days ?

Would it be fair to say if iTunes existed in 1967 then St Peppers would have reached its peak sales figures in a fraction of the time ?
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah.

lies, damn lies, and statistics is the old aphorism....

the word is that the entire music industry is down 46%. that's everyone involved, studios, labels, retailers, etc. the top of the industry is more solid than ever though. Adele actually has less competition than the Beatles ever did.