My completed Oberheim SEM project

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Re: My completed Oberheim SEM project

Post by dante »

yayajohn wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:52 pm Well Bud as it turns out we no longer need Tangerine Dream in this day and age. They've been digitized!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdCtJ6NwVXM
Can't wait to download this! A couple of mouse clicks and I'll sound JUST like them! :lol: :roll:
Nah - more of a challenge is to compose a piece based on what you imagine Tangerine Dream would do if they were making a new single today, then play it to people and see if they know who its by. If they say 'sounds like Tangerine Dream' then cool ! or even better if they say 'It's Tangerine Dream'.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

yayajohn wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:52 pm
Well Bud as it turns out we no longer need Tangerine Dream in this day and age. They've been digitized!

Can't wait to download this! A couple of mouse clicks and I'll sound JUST like them! :lol: :roll:
Nah ... you not only sound like them then, you ARE TD then ...

just kiddin´ ...

Well, when i have a chance to see these kind of vids, I always have the impression these guys think they are as good as their idols were.
Today, they don´t understand anymore, pressing a play button or a single key as a trigger, doesn´t constitute creation and/ or (live-) performance at all.
They think they can really play because they can buy sequences, samples and loops.
Nonetheless, I accept it works, because the average joe audience accepts and pays for.
And it´s obviously an art itself making money,- possibly a living too,- w/ almost zero musical skills.

Anyway,- let´s stop, especially because a Oberheim SEM was originally made for and used by the real players when released.

:)

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

yayajohn wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:52 pm Well Bud as it turns out we no longer need Tangerine Dream in this day and age. They've been digitized!

I have one of the Lumens you see in that video. It's a great tool for teaching my children, they prefer the 'game' style mode of practice/learning and I do like the short video introduction. The color coding is just bonus, and NI did that first anyway. I have eyeballed using the controller for visuals, but am not sure how to enable the color feedback from the daw/host to the controller outside of using their app. I suppose I could try their other applications...

BUT, I bought this as a potential learning path for my children, and while they don't use is constantly when they do they are engaged and intrigued and I know that neural connections are being made to their benefit. Would I tour with that Tangerine Dream soundpack as part of my arsenal? I'm not sure, and rather than wanting to seem a contrarian it should be clear my real point is that if it makes a child interested in touring, I think it hit its mark.

Cypher2 on the other hand is a cool synth regardless, and now you have me thinking about that Lumen controller again when I probably only played with it twice. :wink:

Now when it comes to trying to be a full simulacrum of past masters, I think Sagan's Music Code really hits the mark...in the same way that GM synth "midi demos" made by fans of a band are to the actual band. There's a whole scene of people out there who record these midi files and swap them around mind you...
dante

Post by dante »

Its quite ludicrous the notion that a few sample bars 'sounds like Tangerine Dream'. The idea that a band that has released over 100 albums and had dozens of personnel can even have a 'single definitive sound' is laughable. What is their sound ? Personally I liked Ricochet - which sounds nothing like Stratosfear - and they are only a mere 5 years apart. Imagine the transitions over the next few decades as their 'sound' morphed and evolved in uncountable different directions..... :lol: :lol:
valis

Post by valis »

Yea well, marketing. Just as much as all of these VI's and hardware VA recreations of beasts gone past...and note I am claiming those packs and that controller are excellent learning toys for children. I'm sure people will jam with that controller on stage using their volcas and op-z's to do visuals, meanwhile I have an overheating studio and still lug multiple laptops and crates to gigs.
dante

Post by dante »

What gigs do you do ?
valis

Post by valis »

Maybe more suitable for pm? We keep pulling topics off track here it seems...

Short version for those reading along, I did visuals for 10 years prior to Covid (and my son being born) along with most of the animated and still/print materials for logos/marketing/social media/posters and of course had workflows to get that material integrated with live projection mapped projects (dome, other structures from Zebbler & a side band from the String Cheese Band called Eoto, etc. Before that, I of course produced material to dj alongside other vinyl, but visuals and promoting/marketing was giving more of a return so my production fell by the wayside once I had a family to support.

In any case, djing & vjing were both a lot of fun the last 25 years, and I can both now without any added effort or cost from this workspace right now without any added effort aside from losing a half day's work or so. If I want something that will command more of a return, it's seems sensible that it's a good idea to deliver something more than what anyone can do with a pair of thumbdrives and the gear already available in the space you're booked in. So my question now is how to create more time to create, rather than the gear. But I still enjoy the latter as well =]

Here's a few short images spanning events large to small, I'll pm you with a bit more info too:
DB60.jpg
DB60.jpg (305.95 KiB) Viewed 938 times
Sasquatch-2014-28.jpg
Sasquatch-2014-28.jpg (342.13 KiB) Viewed 934 times
Sasquatch 2015 (9 of 15).jpg
Sasquatch 2015 (9 of 15).jpg (282.38 KiB) Viewed 934 times
RedRoom_1.jpg
RedRoom_1.jpg (507.99 KiB) Viewed 934 times
dawman

Post by dawman »

Love the way we get all sideways in the OT threads.

Shows initiative and innovation.
valis

Post by valis »

Truthfully, I had thought that maschine+ discussion was in this thread... where I clicked to see the post I think it gave a title that was being responded to that wasn't the same as the parent thread (ie, the post title).
dante

Post by dante »

@Valis, looks like some exiting live times there 8)
valis

Post by valis »

Certainly not trying to steal your thunder. Btw the 'crates' in this case contained either LED panels or projectors alongside PC's etc. And I use ableton to sequence my visuals and link the two machines via midi & osc...etc. For my next outing I'm thankful technology moves fast, hopefully I can slim down my stage rig as Jimmy has to simplify my life.