STM2448/4896 improvement

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

sepuka

STM2448/4896 improvement

Post by sepuka »

Is it possiible to made switchable mono/stereo aux sends in STM2448/4896, like at picture (for using true stereo reverberators like PCM90, 300L, 480, etc.)

now I need to use the second mixer with stereo sends via direct outputs only for two stereo sends, like at picture

hubird

Re: STM2448/4896 improvement

Post by hubird »

I'm not sure what exactly you're after, but sends are mono in hardware world.
Only true stereo reverbs have real stereo inputs (for realistic ER and spacial reverberations).

If I'm right there's a mixer from SpaceF whiich has stereo sends, at least Jimmy knows more about this :-)

You could try using two send channels to create a stereo aux send, but you will lose the sinc of them.

If you switch a receive between mono and stereo you have to reconnect the cables, so that's not a real option.

Hm, do I eventually miss something? :-)
sepuka

Post by sepuka »

hubird wrote:I'm not sure what exactly you're after, but sends are mono in hardware world.
In hardware world we have two mono channels and for stereo send we turn the two knobs at the same time. There we can turn one knob and not link anything.
hubird wrote:Only true stereo reverbs have real stereo inputs (for realistic ER and spacial reverberations).
All the good equipment for the last 20 years, which may be called "reverbs" are true stereo -- Lexicon PCM90, 300L, 480 etc.
hubird wrote:If you switch a receive between mono and stereo you have to reconnect the cables, so that's not a real option.
The same thing is happening now when switching channels on mono / stereo - desired configuration is selected before work started.
garyb

Post by garyb »

a stereo reverb doesn't need a stereo send. it needs a stereo return. placement in the field is normally done by panning the dry signal. i'm not against stereo sends, though.
sepuka

Post by sepuka »

garyb wrote:a stereo reverb doesn't need a stereo send. it needs a stereo return. placement in the field is normally done by panning the dry signal. i'm not against stereo sends, though.
Try to send stereo miked piano or orchestra to stereo reverb (PCM90, 300, 480 etc.) via stereo send and mono send. Via stereo send we obtain independent reflections from the left and right channels -- even if they are in antiphase, they remain in mono (good reverbs made some randomness). Via mono send they simply cancelled.
garyb

Post by garyb »

what kind of room is that? :lol:

well, whatever. you know what you need. i'm sure a developer could do this for you if you pay them. by the way, those devices were made to generate a stereo signal from a mono input.

i'd record an orchestra in a room that sounded good. if it's just a stinkin' vst and i really needed incredible ambience, i'd probably effect the orchestra seprately from the other elements of the mix, and then, i'd use a single stereo reverb from a mono source to make a room for the entire mix, including the effected piano or "orchestra" to live in, but that's just me. as i said, i'm not against stereo auxes, i just don't usually need them. actually, when hardware was the only choice and computers could barely be trusted with channel automation, most reverbs had stereo inputs, just in case, but most mixers had mono auxes, my Soundcraft that was about $18-20,000 in the late 1980's has mono auxes. surprise! the tt patch bays' fx section are wired for stereo fx. yep, stereo reverbs have almost ALWAYS been used with mono auxes. it's really digital consoles that have made stereo auxes common in hardware today.

the incomplete phase cancellation in full streo mode really only indicates bad phase anomolies, which are what give the inpression on an extremely wide stereo feild. depending on the material and it's purpose as well as how it will be listened to, this could be good or bad. for a dance mix, it would suck, since most dancefloors are in mono. if there are phase issues, then the track will sound really crappy in the club. if it's going to be heard primarily with headphones or earbuds, then phase problems don't matter..