Korg Delta

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Korg Delta

Post by dante »

Underrated in its day, a 'string machine' with a synth section as well. It has several strengths such as full polyphony, simplicity and instant layered gratification. Plus a unique sound somewhat like a cross between an organ and a synth, possibly due to the synth section having additive square oscs w/ sliders like a drawbar configuration (16', 8', 4' and 2').

....character makes up for simplistic synthesis
Delta
Delta
delta.jpg (53.65 KiB) Viewed 11073 times
The original never had MIDI or patch memory, so bringing it into a modern day replica with these added, could be popular as Im reasonably sure it hasnt been done yet (except maybe only sample sets ?). I would pay as much for this as any mid range Zarg synth.
Bud Weiser

Re: Korg Delta

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote:Underrated in its day, a 'string machine' with a synth section as well. It has several strengths such as full polyphony, simplicity and instant layered gratification. Plus a unique sound somewhat like a cross between an organ and a synth, possibly due to the synth section having additive square oscs w/ sliders like a drawbar configuration (16', 8', 4' and 2').

....character makes up for simplistic synthesis

The original never had MIDI or patch memory, so bringing it into a modern day replica with these added, could be popular as Im reasonably sure it hasnt been done yet (except maybe only sample sets ?). I would pay as much for this as any mid range Zarg synth.
I never listened to this toy.
Does it sound very different or better than a ARP Omni or Quadra ?
I had all kind of string machines in the past, ARP/Solina, Roland RS ?, Logan String Melody and Yamaha SS30,- but the only I really wanted, the Freeman String Symphonizer, was never available in my country.
None of these had a "synth section" though ...

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Doubt it sounds like either of those. I'll post something on SoundCloud later from the '80s.

Meanwhile go here to hear : http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Korg_Delta_sounds.aspx Sounds 5,6 and 15 remind me most of it.

Also it featured in this jam I posted here http://soundcloud.com/hitfoundry/hanging-in-the-window a while back, dueting w/ a JP4

Specially it had a trigger socket on the back that I hooked to an 8 bit computer pumping out some rhythmic pulses - very unique sounding.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote:Doubt it sounds like either of those. I'll post something on SoundCloud later from the '80s.
Please offer a download,- since some time, Soundcloud doesn´t work for me anymore, all echoed, pops ´n clicks, halftime.
Don´t know what it is, but on other websites using Souncloud player, it works.
dante wrote: Meanwhile go here to hear : http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Korg_Delta_sounds.aspx Sounds 5,6 and 15 remind me most of it.
Just had a listen,- now I know how different it is compared to the other string organ desktop-hooters !
Has personality and the filter sounds quite good.

I wonder if that can be done in Modular though.
dante wrote: Also it featured in this jam I posted here http://soundcloud.com/hitfoundry/hanging-in-the-window a while back, dueting w/ a JP4
Soundcloud,- see above ...
dante wrote: Specially it had a trigger socket on the back that I hooked to an 8 bit computer pumping out some rhythmic pulses - very unique sounding.
:D

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Here a few bars of a bassline done on Delta with a Delta organ like sound playing a melody also. Theres a crappy drum machine in background.

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

jhulk

Post by jhulk »

dante can you sample from c2 every 6th note to c6 for each osc and every draw bar stting 32 16 8 4

and ill make a modular patch of it for every one

im doing the logan string and the roland vp330

can you just do dry samples no res filter fully open no modulation

and im also doing the dk synergy 2

at the moment im using multipul sample osc for the multisound so that its sound more accurate

its a pity that the sample osc does not use a multisample keyboard placement in one sample osc

but i am planning on implimenting one when scope 6 comes out or even a sf2 or sfz container sample osc which can read these keymap formats
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

its alright dante i have loads of korg delta waveforms

i just looked through my collection as i have in the past had use of a synth museum in bristol which had some good old synths that i got to play with

and i sampled the korg delta osc at varying draw bar settings

i have about fifty waveforms

i will create a modular patch on the same synth params but with 4 sample osc for the 16 8 4 2 drawbars and noise with a sample pool of the 50 waveforms

which can be added additivly and the dual filter will be a multi mode poly filter so you can extend the sound pallet and i will also add a filter for the string section

which the delta does not have as the sound source of the string section comes from the 16 and 8 draw bars and there is a balance control that mixes or fades between the 2 draw bars i think here i will add a crossfade modulator which will give more morph controlover the string section coupled with a filter will become a pad synth section

on the delta there is one envelope for both the vca and vcf with an envelope amount control for the filter modulationi will add a envelope for each this will give more possibilties of sound

the string section has an ar envelope for the vca which i will keep but will add an envelope for the new filter added for the string section

there are 2 simple lfo 1 is mg and the other is vibrato mg is used for the filter for wah wah effects and vibrato is for fm of the draw bars pitch

i will use 2 multi lfo for more variation

i will use an xy controler for the joystick control of pitch bend and vibrato and filter modulation wah wah or wobble as most seem to call it today

im also going to the final mixer section which will be 2 vca 1 for synth 1 for strings with level controls which will have crossfade contol modulation

then pan contols to each synth section and then to a chorus for each section then to a reverb fx then out

i think this will add bells and whistle to the original design but made hard wired so people can just tweak the basic items with out having todo any wiring
dante

Post by dante »

That would be cool JHulk, I cant sample it since I havent had access to it since the 80's - what Im posting are just old recordings and not many single notes by themselves (I tried that plus a 'D-String' VST but no good.

If u can make one that would be unreal !

And also once again prove the power of Scope.
jhulk wrote: i just looked through my collection as i have in the past had use of a synth museum in bristol which had some good old synths that i got to play with and i sampled the korg delta osc at varying draw bar settings i have about fifty waveforms
Awesome ! (lucky)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jhulk wrote: i have about fifty waveforms

i will create a modular patch ...
You kill !
Awesome !!!

:)

Bud
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

write i have built it now im doing some presets for it then will upload for the community

becuase this is a sample based instrument the waveforms are from the 4 sound generator partials it uses square waves at 16' 8' 4' 2'

i have used the same partial generator sytem but becuase the start waveform is from the 5 sections of the korg delta sound generator

the new sound generator uses these generated waveforms so the spectrum will be much more than the original

to make it even more exciting the sound generator can use any waveform so the spectrum complexity will be even greator as you are additively adding the volume of the waveforms at octave intervals

as each partial generator doubles in frequency

there 50 sampled spectrum waveforms to choose from from a sound pool but i can add more sound pools from other synths so that a wider range of spectra can be used

the sample osc are set so no need to change the pitch they are set correctly for the root key and the tuning setting all you have todo is place the spectra sample thats it

all wiring is set so no need to change any wiring so its just a matter of tweaking the generater volume sliders and filter envelopes and vca envelopes for synth section

and the crossfade section of the string section and its envelopes for filter and vca

the string section gets its spectra from the 16' and 8' draw bars from the generator section the cross fade is used to adjust the amount of the 16' and 8' spectra

this then goes to 2 final mixer section 1 for synth and 1 for string which you can adjust to get the amounts of each part you want this then goes to the panning modulators and then they go to 2 poly2 outs each section has its own chorus effect then the left outputs from each chorus are added together and so are the right outputs then they go to an stereo insert effect

if used sc rmx160 reverb but any can be used

the modulation section i used roy thines midicv module which has built in pitch wheel and mod wheel direct outs all the mod 2 input for filter modulation of synth section are fully on as as this is controled by the mod wheel and the mg lfo which goes to a level control this then goes to a linear vca which its mod input is controlled by the modulation wheel

the frequency setting of the lfo is set by the lfo module but the mg amount is controlled by the lfo level and the modulation wheel opens the vca for o-full modulation

the vibrato is the same type of circuit all the pitch mod of all the sample osc are set fully on as this is controlled by the pitch wheel and the mod wheel

the lfo for vibrato is the same circuit as the mg section but the vca output goes to a modulation mixer which the pitch wheel controller goes to and the vibrato the actuators are fully on as the mod wheel and the pitch wheel control ammount i did it this way as most people have controller keyboards that have mod wheel and pitch wheel and not the x-y joystic that these older korgs use

i have also made a roland vp330 modular patch

this has 3 sections

1 section is ensemble this has 2 partials 1 male choir 8' and 1 female choir 4'

2 section is saprano this has 2 partials 1 male solo 8' and 1 female solo 4'

3 section is the strings this has 1 partial

by adjusting the partial levels of each section you can create great pads choral in nature

for my creation i have added some bits 1 filter per section 1 amp per section this gives the ability to create transients for each section with its own filter type as on the original it was just mixed into 1 filter i have used the poly filters as you can add phazers and chorus and comb filters this way adding to the the sound pallette

then it will go to panning modulators for each section then poly out to a phazer on each stereo channel then all the left channels are added together and the right then it goes to a delay then an stereo insert effect reverb

all modules are from the standard mod 2 and mod 3 and roy thinnes modules so every one should be able to use these modular patches in version 4 or 5.1

the samples for the vp330 are from multisamples but becuase of the single sample nature of the modular sample module i have used c5 for all it will be great when a multisample sample module is available

i have sample sets for the logan string 1/2 bigband poly chrom and variuos other string synths and will do modular versions as soon as i have time
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jhulk wrote:write i have built it now im doing some presets for it then will upload for the community
Pics or it didn´t happen ... :D

Just kidding ! :lol:

jhulk wrote: i have also made a roland vp330 modular patch
Man,- that all sounds damn GOOD !!!
Unbelievable and extremely generous you´re offering these devices !

Can´t wait to hear ´em.

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Sounds like could be a Korg Delta++ with the extended waveform spectrum. And the Roland VP330 stuff as well !

Awesome !! Cant wait try it all out :)
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

had a few problems getting the roy thines mvc todo pitch wheel properly and the modulation cc was not working with the mod wheels 1 and to

so i have reverted to the modular 2 mvca and its working correctly now

the vibrato and mg filter control are now done by constant value modifiers going with midi 1 and 2 i have done it like the korgs joystic controls push forward it modulates the filter cutoof lfo amount

and pull done it does vibrato fm lfo amount and going in a circular motion playing bass stabs is really great

i have changed the structure a bit i have added an extra 2 sample osc 16 foot and 8 foot just for the string section

as before i took them from the sound generator 16 and 8 partials

the reason i have done this is so you can have totally different waves for the string section

also added some extra gains as the levels was queit

the vibrato and mg for filter are only for the synth part like the original as you can set a nice bass transient with fm modulation or filter lfo modulation

with a unmodulated string section

the vp330 is going to be its own modular patch

and im going to do a choir synth with my spectra samples that i did for the solaris

i have just got to add all information boxes explaining all of the sections and ill release it have not had time todo any presets ill leave that upto you

best preset compitition just for fun its sounds great and playing with the fm of pitch and fm of filter via the joystic controls is great if you own a korg m1 t1 01w x series n series trinity triton oasys kronos as they are already set up for pitch on x and +y is cco1 -y is cc02 which is what i have set the 2 constant controls at

i can get 10 note poly at about 30% of my 36 dsp system for this module
dante

Post by dante »

10 note poly is more than enough for me (on the Delta emu) . I'll just use a couple of instances at a time no more than 7 poly at once.

Thanks for awesome work.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

i have rearanged the synth now in a good flow

control is at the top then theres the synth section

then the string section with the 2 additinal sample osc

and the output section

i have removed the fx insert as it is better to do it at the mixer as i was using a celmo tape delay on the last set i was doing

so removed it as others might not have this device

everyting is set as it should be all the cables are were they should be

have writen bold text so you can see each section

i have been messing with sounds and got some nice stab piano string sounds

you can get nice bass sounds just by using one generator as they are complex waveforms but the fun comes when mixing the generator levels and noise for the synth section while having a nice modulated crossfade of 16 foot and 8 foot of the string section coupled with the pan effect sounds great

im nearly done and ready for upload but i have problems uploading 7zip files
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

ok im going to release it now

its time for you to have a play and make some noise i did 2 basic presets

ill leave the rest up to you

modulation modwheel 1 cc01 is filter mg this you set in the control section to do filter sweeps or sample and hold or wobble type effects

modulation wheel 2 is cc02 if for vibrato and wierd fm effects

just add the wave forms for each sound generator you can make noise from just 1 generator for basic bass and lead sounds but by adding the sound generators at different levels and adding noise you can create very complex sounds and with the poly filters you can create all type of sounds spectra

the string section has no modulation control at all but has a crossfade control and panning control so if you have a nice lead sound layers with the strings you can pitcj fm and filter fm the lead and the string will not be modulated which lends to great types of vangelis type sounds as you can do pitch arpegs using the vibrato pitch fm and swap to fm sample and hold of the synth filter

enjoy and i will be doing a full string synth collection

its all self explained by the labels

codes of colours of the cables

blue = note and sample frequency cables
green = velocity cables
yellow = all gate signal cables
red = all audio signal cables
orange = all esync cables
purple = all modulation signal cables
Last edited by jhulk on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

bud the roland rs?

there was a roland rs202

i have that string machine sampled

ill addit tothe string synth collection im doing

there will be about 8 string machines done korgdelta was the first
dawman

Post by dawman »

I think my Sample Oscillators on X64 might be funky.
I dl'd the Modular patch, very clean design BTW, and lowered the voices from 10 to 4 so I could dig into the Sample Oscillators and see why I have skipping/missing notes when I play.

Before I go wasting anyone's time at SC, anyone with the XITE-1 try loading this and see if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks JHulk, and BTW the Solaris Vocals are most excellent.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

i think its a modular problem i had the same thing when reloading the project with the 10 voice poly

bug in 5.1 i think

i have to revert to 1 voice then go back to setting the poly amount

and it works correctly im also having issues with presets i did 30 presets for it took me about 4 hours and when i tried to go through each one it would not load

and when i reloaded the project it comes up with 98.5% incompatible never had this problem before and getting nil pop ups when trying to load presets
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:... and see why I have skipping/missing notes when I play.
Yes I have the same problem, it is like that one note stucks directly after you load the device. Jhulks hint to toggle down to one voice only and raise it again works.
I made some devices with the sample OSCs / Pool in my Scope past and I always had problems with them, they work in yours fine so far.

Also I had the problem with the presets, it is so frustrating when you finished a device and start to program it, after all is done the device / preset list don't work as it should.

I guess that the ,not loading of presets, has to do with the Sample OSCs, I think that their state are not correctly saved in a preset, and I remember slightly that it was a problem of the stock sample pool module. There is a alternative sample pool module from John Bowen on Z, here from Ben Walker for his JD 800 version. It is a standalone device. http://www.planetz.com/Pulsar/files/mod ... dalone.zip

Maybe worth a try