Neve EQ!

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

ironman

Neve EQ!

Post by ironman »

we r missing only the greatest eqs ever made like the 1073 or 1081 which makes universal audio the king of eq. at the moment. i dont see y such devices cant be made for scope
capacitor

Re: Neve EQ!

Post by capacitor »

The new Harrison EQ has been rumored to be killer as well. :)
The first action people should take is to remove cash from Banrural, and break the banks of corrupt people. #escandalogt
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

I've not tried the Ison eq, but people who use their ears instead of believing that a picture of an old device will make a piece of code sound like it say, that it is quite good.
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
astroman

Post by astroman »

ironman wrote:we r missing only the greatest eqs ever made like the 1073 or 1081 ...
you're not just missing the EQ, but also slightly the point... ;)
ok, the following quote is from a sales text, but hits it anyway
...As with all Neve outboard gear, users are assured the highest quality signal acquisition, thanks to uncompromising Class AB circuitry, hand-wound Neve-designed transformers, and unrivalled attention to every last component and construction detail. ...
I'm far from being an expert in the > 4k bucks domain of gear, but it's the sum of the parts that makes these devices a whole. In particular about the trannies there almost religious discussions...

I'm 100% with Immanuel regarding the picture madness of digital devices, be it Scope or any other platform ;)

You don't miss anything regarding the EQ part in Scope, but you cannot expect the overall signal treatment to be even remotely comparable to the hardware unit.
You wouldn't record a U47 through a Behringer DJ mixer, would you ?
dawman

Post by dawman »

VVXBFDSG.jpg
ironman

Post by ironman »

yes it probably wouldnt be as good as the hardware unit, just like almost all other devices,but i listened to my friends uad with the neve 1073 and it blew me away. much more crisp and and fat mids than ne eq ive heard in scope and everything just sounded more present. not to bash on ne current eqs but i found this eq to have a ceratin personality than scoep is missing
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, according to specs the UAD thing actually is a Neve coop - I have no idea how trustworthy it is, but it seems well-regarded at least.
Some information about various EQs can be found here, the topic Example EQ Phase Plots gives an introduction about what makes an eq's character.
You may then switch to the respective model, but afterall a bunch of phase and intensity curves don't really give an acoustic impression.

Bottomline is that basically all digital vintage reincarnations follow a very simple paradigm:
measure a physical unit and weigh controls in your own general purpose device accordingly.
The Nebula-3 convolution (snapshot) approach is probably the most straight forward in this context.
I remember their EQ (wasn't even a 'classic' model) to be stunningly intense.
For sure a color you would want in your arsenal for occasional use, but not my cup of tea for general purpose at all.

Alfonso's (Adern) Mojo virtual guitar amp gives a very good impression that slaving a vintage model is a technical dead-end.
It's not a marketing one, tho... as people will buy the GUI rubbish for the sake of the imaginary saved cash or feeling in some exclusive league anyway... :D

After all a guitar amp is nothing but a moderately complex EQ - if you don't drive it too hard. ;)
Mojo isn't modelled after any specific amp, but has been carefully 'tuned' by a knowledgeable guitarist.
As a result it can compete with top of the line gear, given you feed it a proper signal.

Imho similiar things apply to Scope EQ.
You may need a 2nd stage (or phase/drive context) to setup more 'spectacular' results, but that could as well be a musical advantage.
Too many production suffer from the too-much-of-everything syndrome. ;)

For me ISON is all I need, but then... I don't even use that one much, as I'd rather change the source than insert...
One can buy a phantastic bass with tremendous sustain, detailed articulation and whatever, but in the end it's (usually) a simple Fender Jazz or Precision that makes it on the track... :D