Band EQ/Filter for monitoring

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

Music Manic

Band EQ/Filter for monitoring

Post by Music Manic »

I am looking for a plugin that will allow me to set up some frequency bands
and allow me to switch certain frequencies on/off so I can hone in on certain
frequencies quickly so I can balance the sound when I mix.
For instance if I want all frequencies to be set to the octave of the note C etc I would type in the root frequency and all notches would be set to the harmonics of C.

I have Wolf's Speqtrum EQ but I would like it to be more intensive and adaptable.

Thanks
Shroomz~>

Re: Band EQ/Filter for monitoring

Post by Shroomz~> »

Maybe Dynomic is what you're looking for? There's a PDF manual you can read to decide if it might meet your needs.

cheers,
Mark
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Thanks Shroomz,
It's quite nice but not exactly what I'm looking for.

What you have here is good:

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 16&t=25846
If you could create many bands and an on off switch for each it would be great.

Thanks
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

A device combining 'many bands' of Xtreme Cut would have a serious dsp cost. I'll ponder the idea, because I would like something like that myself, but there's no way it'll happen any time soon because sharc's working on a seriously time consuming device project & when I get some sdk time myself again I'll be going back to a synth I've been making in my spare time for a while.

Mark
dawman

Post by dawman »

I would love to see a Shroomz synth.
You're a picky fella' so it should be very interesting to hear it's abilities.
Nice News 4 Sure.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

8 parallel bands of Xtreme Cut would eat up a lot of dsp (you wouldn't get them on anything less than a 14 dsp card), but you could experiment (emphasis on experiment) with something like what's pictured using HPLP devices (low on dsp) & a simple low dsp stereo channel mixer like the MIX-16S that my brother sharc made (it has mutes & solos).

Mark

edit - ignore those frequencies though, since I just threw those in there quickly.
Attachments
8parallelHPLP.JPG
8parallelHPLP.JPG (184.1 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Thanks I will give that a go.
I appreciate your help.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

No problem at all. One of the most important things to remember if you're experimenting with this is that you've got variables on the crossover frequencies that you could benefit from or if not analyzing properly could be problematic. For example with the LP freq of a band & the HP freq of the next band separated enough you can create quite severe cuts in a particular frequency range, but doing that could work for you or against you depending on what you're trying to do. If you don't want to cut any frequencies at all you'll need to analyze the effect of your frequency settings in detail, which is why I said to ignore the frequency settings that I threw in there quickly.

Mark
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

It's got to be the best free software in it's field, but it has to be said that the most true representation the software is capable of is not a realtime one (which isn't really a big issue).
wolf

Post by wolf »

Hi James,
For instance if I want all frequencies to be set to the octave of the note C etc I would type in the root frequency and all notches would be set to the harmonics of C.
You can do this with SpEQtrum via building a filter cluster.
As you may know, you can couple several nodes to build such a cluster.
Simply set each node to twice the frequency of the previous node and activate the "couple" button.
If you then change the frequency of one of the nodes, all coupled nodes will follow this change while keeping their relationship (i.e. the octave stays a octave).

You can couple gain & frequency independant from each other.

cheers,
Wolfgang
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Thanks Wolf. It would be great if you wrote a more explicit PDF for this EQ and its
potential.
I looks like one of the most tweakable EQs I have seen. The thing is I am no expert
on electronic circuits so I wouldn't know how different types of EQ affect sound.

If you need a donation just let me know I would be happy to learn its full potential.