8 Operator FM ( PM ) Synth

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

8 Operator FM ( PM ) Synth

Post by dawman »

An 8 operator FM synth. Guys with extra DSP chips could use multiple instances to emulate the old DX7 / TX FM layered EP's and Pads. The TX816 usually used 4 for EPianos and pads, and 4 for heavy sequenced bass lines where each track ( 4 merged ) would be 15 to 20 PPQ's apart for a thick low end.

XITE-1 Needs This. :wink:
Neutron

Re: 8 Operator FM ( PM ) Synth

Post by Neutron »

you have lots of cards..get the SDK :D
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Few years ago John Bowen was starting to work on his FM synth... he stopped the project because there was the exit of FM8 of Native Instruments!!!
Yes I know that NI FM7/FM8 can import DX7 sysex, but:
What a mistake!

First of all I prefer FM7 to FM8 (more DX7 oriented) despite the better audio quality of FM8 engine.
But Scope synths are better of sure!
In particular the Bowen's synths 8)
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I can hardly create a modular patch on my own, but have become quite good at stealing Alfonso and Assaf's patches and adding the missing pieces like 4 x outputs, deleting effects and using external reverb and DSP delays. I often prefer the sound of ramp dividers to increase the FATness of an Oscillator, etc.........But that's about it.

SDK is totally out of the question at this point. I even have the old DP cards and software, GaryB was surprised to see it, but I spend way too much time making VDAT drum and vocals tracks, and practicing acoustic Piano to dive into that app. !

Perhaps when JBowen finds time in Spring '09, he could finish his FM design, or release it if he has one still, I remember reading an email where he was discussing a custom FM for a client, let's hope something's still laying around.

Until then I will use a few FM4's as the sounds I can get with it are limited, but add such a nice compliment to the synth sounds I currently have, and FM8 can fill the gaps. It does sound so much better than it use to, that's why I bought it. But when I heard similar operator based algo's in the little 4 level FM4, I immediately knew that XITE-1 needed something like this. So I shall start busting peoples balls in hopes of finding a developer, or a Mod III / Flexor freak to help me put FM8 back on the shelf it came from.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I already feel that. But I am jammed up for time ATM.
I should learn more and roll my own. But there are so many talented programmers and developers on this forum, I am hoping someone adventurous replies.

I am however reading manuals and instruction pdf.'s on Modular Synthesis, and FM ( PM ) as we speak. Hopefully I can learn this on my own.

Currently 682 color pages have been amassed. Reading on an LCD is bad for my eyes, so color prints are used, plus I can lay down or recline in my rocker instead of flattening out my Gluteus Maximus. :lol:
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Modular lacks of a personalizable interface like NI Reaktor 5.x
With this hypotetical interface the SDK becomes less fundamental for those wish build a new device.
I hope for modular 4.0 ;)

Can you imagine how prolific could becomes the Scope community without the need of SDK+15DSP hardware?! :o
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Here's a little patch that helps add some more fundamenatals using Flexor III modules. It adds some nice shaping possibilities w/ the Oscillators PM and FM modulations.

Back to the books I go. One thing I am looking forward to is the sheer DSP power of XITE-1. This patch eats up a 15 DSP card w/ 8 voices.

Using 8 Oscillators, Filters and Envelopes, instead of 2, this could easily eat up 3 Pro cards quickly. No Problemo for XITE-1 though. :D
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

I have tonns of fm synths from 2 op to 24 op on Reaktor.If you want em,Pm.
I think Reaktor is a little better soundwise in the fm dept....Mod 3 and flexor on fm is really good too but Reaktor takes the cake on this imo.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thanks Brotha' Man Fluxpod, That's Very Kind.

But I don't have Reaktor. Can FM8 play Reaktor instruments? :-?
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Hey Jimmy,

Why not go and buy a used TG77 module.
I also thought about building up a kind of FM synth with the SDK a few years ago but then John Bowen launched his announcement about a FM synth release (which was in fact ... something else) and I put this project aside for a while.

Then I just bought myself a used Yamaha TG77 and had not such a need for a scope based FM synth (the TG77 more than emulate the DX7 and there are many patch conversion software arround the web).

My 2 cents.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I agree about having something in hardware. But I sold my TX816 a while back and bought an FM8, which BTW I am happy with. It;s just that I heard the FM4 and was unaware of how well FM sounds in Scope. I am making progress but am currently waiting for a Gun For Hire to re create a single TX module. That way I can experiment in Modular w/ it and eventually reproduce a rack of 8 in Modular and Vector the Hell out of 'em in XITE-1. I also have 1000's pf presets on 5 1/4" FDD's and 3.5" DD FDD ( 1MB ). Grey Matters programmers made the most incredible 16 operator Ice Pianos known to mankind.

I am on a mission that so far is looking good. My entire rig including a racked up analog hardware synth and a 1U hardware reverb all in a single 8U SKB Shock Rack. One KS88 and a hardware Solaris and 8 pedals. 2 x Mid Field Powered Monitors. and Voila......

I Find It Convenient To Keep My Interests Mobile.........................As Dr. Hadden Told Jodie Foster As She Entered His Plane In The Movie Contact.
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Thanks Brotha' Man Fluxpod, That's Very Kind.

But I don't have Reaktor. Can FM8 play Reaktor instruments? :-?
Nope it wont.
Why dont you have reaktor? :D Get it :wink:

Or get the 1 he fs1r,that thing is the real deal.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well I got my Flexor/Modular 8 Operator patch, and it is still being created further, but right now it is an excellent sounding patch that makes killer Electric Pianos. It puts my FM Encyclopedia library to shame since it is MIDI controllable. The 16 voice limitation can be overcome by using the 6 ADSR's to create some Psuedo release samples where each frequency can be tailored perfectly in the tail section.

In XITE-1 I will use 2 instances of this and have the second patch layer swells, pads or whatever I feel appropriate. The Flexor III Modules really do have a better sound to them than the regular Modular Modules, and even Flexor 1.5.

I am done with FM8 and Gigastudio FM Encyclopedia, as they can't come close to the sound of what was made with this beauty. It's audio engine does sound better than the FM7, but Modular has so much more detail in the sound. It's so rewarding to have an app like Scope that just keeps giving. :D

My controller presets are becoming quite numerous these days, and I went from a single layout to using 10 as of tonight. Just hearing the extra detuning that can be controlled from an expression pedal is so pretty. I take 4 of the 8 Operators and attach their fine and detune knobs to an expression pedal using SpaceF's CC5 or CC8 and tweak the curves so only large pedal swells bring in the noticable amounts. Another pedal will bring in seperate volumes of the second instance for a unique Drawbar Synth.

If I Keep This Up, I Just Might Learn My App. :roll: