tape echo?

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

the19thbear

tape echo?

Post by the19thbear »

is it possible to make a tape echo simulation?? i'm not talking about simple delays or delay lines with saturation, but what i'm after the most is the feature of being able to change the repeat reate/intensity while there is audio running through the device, without any clicks/pops.
there are many good tape echo device here on planetz, dont get me worng I really appreciate your work!!!!!
but, you know, on my space echo i can make drone/sci fi sounds by tweaking it to never ending echoes, and after a few seconds i would have "oscillation" from the unit. I LOVE IT!
I have never seen a device on this platofrm that could do this..
can it be done?
thanks
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
astroman

Re: tape echo?

Post by astroman »

the19thbear wrote:...but, you know, on my space echo i can make drone/sci fi sounds by tweaking it to never ending echoes, and after a few seconds i would have "oscillation" from the unit. I LOVE IT! ...
well, it's not exactly a tape echo sim, but SpaceF's Echo3 does exactly that and even a bit more more... it's capable to recover from the feedback loop after a while, so you can send it another chord to drone, and another one... :D
not 'realistic', but pretty smart
I'm not sure about which parameters might 'click' if moved in realtime, tho

cheers, Tom
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

what about the tape speed... can you vary that without the audio getting "chopped" up`? on a tape echo its smooth and the tape sped acts like a.... speed potientiometer :D
see if i make a drone/ sci fi sound on the tape echo, and vary the tape speed i can "play" the echo.
but can celmos do that?
astroman

Post by astroman »

yes, within 'reasonable' bounds it seems to avoid clicks as good as it gets - you cannot accelerate an analog machine from 20 to 4000 bpm within a second either, can you ? ;)

I just tried it with a drum loop - moving the speed dial with the mouse produces some crackling as expected, but it's not as heavy as in other devices.
But the large range from 20 to 4000 bpm makes the mouse pretty unprecise anyway, using the keyboard is allmost completely free of crackling.

The device is alsmost certainly programmed with that application in mind. In the mid bpm-range left/right arrow move in 1 bpm steps, towards the ends the step side increases/decreases in a natural way.
Page up/down keys move in larger increments. Jumping (by keyboard) from mid to end doesn't crackle at all.

due to the (computer) keyboard's response the time scale of acceleration is limited, tho. Celmo's stuff is great - check the demo :)

cheers, Tom
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

I know you're after a Scope device, so this is slightly OT, but I was playing with the demo of the GS-201 the other day and thought it quite good.

Nothing like the complexity of SpaceF's Echo3, which I use a lot, but for a basic Tape Sim to use within a VST host, this seems good and only 19 euro.
the19thbear

yeah!

Post by the19thbear »

Yeah! tha plugin is amazing! it's so simple!. I love the simplicity of that plugin!
bu thanks for the tip anyway!
dawman

Post by dawman »

I second Celmo's Tape Simulator.

There are no zippers when changing the depth or feedback. But changing the rate as usual, does add the artifacts.

There are the ancient Prime Time 93's by Lexicon which are digital, but sound really great. Tape can sound wobbly, although the saturation is desirable, but w/ a Model 93 you can get incredible results.

Celmo's free Ganja Dub is pretty damn sweet as well.

A little Off Topic here but I use SpaceF's bb-Synth FX which has insert effects to add. Inside I add Ganja Dub, SSB Modulator, and different Phasors in the wet effect slot, or even Celmo's Stereo EchoReq for the sewers below Paris sound that gives me such a woody.

It sounds like nothing else I ever heard, and makes my analog hardware synth sounds like a giant pile of FAT BASTARDS.

I am a delay slut for sure.

Any delays from Celmo, and SpaceF are just incredible.

Just to have more I think I'm gonna go buy Wolf's Matrix Delay just to see wassup.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

thanks... but what i am really after is a scope device where i can change the rate/speed of the echo, without any artifacts... just like a real tape echo machine.. smooth sound! I havent heard that on any scope delays yet..
is it possible with the scope atoms?

thanks!