HyperSaw (Virus oscillator)

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

hifiboom

HyperSaw (Virus oscillator)

Post by hifiboom »

the Virus has an oscillator called HyperSaw,
its something comparable to Roland Supersaw..

You can do it with many SAW oscillators in modular but we all know this
-eats up much DSP power
-can be much work to plug everything together.

so the hypersaw has following features:
density: 0..9 saws
spread: detuning of the saw

I don`t know if this can be done in a way so that it saves DSP power compared to 0..9 single saw oscillators, but it will surely save much time.
:P

no must but it wouldn`t hurt to have it :P :lol:
astroman

Post by astroman »

John Bowen has a SuperSaw oscillator in the RD Module package... ;)
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

can you use the RDs in modular..? or are they used in synth slots, like the pro-wave?
Last edited by hifiboom on Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

yes you can, there are two modular modules that come with RD, one is for loading RD oscs and the other for loading RD filters, to be used within the modular shell.
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

thx faxi,
I didn`t found any information on johns page about these RD modules...
any link?
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

astroman wrote:John Bowen has a SuperSaw oscillator in the RD Module package... ;)
Yes, but I only used 7 separate saw oscillators, each with a fixed detune, so it's (1) not as flexible as Virus TI and (2) probably doesn't save you any DSP :-(

regards,
john b
steffensen

Post by steffensen »

There's a nice FleXor patch, wich is a kind of supersaw. Dont remember its name now tho.. SeptaSaw perhaps? Its in the factory patches.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Brotha' Man Hifiboom,
RD II Modules are a must anyway. Get the package from John and judge it yourself. I prefer my own detune width's personally, but you could use a low DSP synth like Saturn, and try multiple instances detuned to your liking w/o FX, then bleed them in later.
This is a prime example of why I had Mehdi build me a mixer for synths. Imagine modular's 8 x 8 into 8 mono ins, then add different filters for each ! FAT City brotha'.
You don't need an exotic synth, just the meat and potatoes, which get cooked in the mixer like a big FAT stew.
Virus's supersaw smokes that cheezy Roland Osc. They have had that same sound for years, and w/o all the FX they bathe it in, it would sound like an old Korg M1 w/o it's reverb. Cheap lo / fi rubbish.
Buy ProWave or Solaris, and jump in for the Big Win, Solaris w/ RDII modules saved me from using modular live, which is still too buggy 4 me to use in that venue.
Solaros / ProWave / Mehdi's FAT BASTARD...........................................................................................................................

No enemies will be left standing @ my gigs. They will scamper off of the stage w/ their tails between their legs.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

johnbowen wrote:
astroman wrote:John Bowen has a SuperSaw oscillator in the RD Module package... ;)
Yes, but I only used 7 separate saw oscillators, each with a fixed detune, so it's (1) not as flexible as Virus TI and (2) probably doesn't save you any DSP :-(

regards,
john b
Hi John,
I think I remember the virus manual somewhere says a hypersaw only uses one voice.

There seems to be trick to save ressources somewhere, I`m sure...

anyway thanks for the information. :wink:
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

Yes, I think you can use simple delay circuits to 'create' each additional saw, and then some way to detune them from each other.
I think red_muze may have a good idea how to do this....perhaps Flexor 2 will have such a thing?

cheers,
john b
scary808

Post by scary808 »

I posted my Soopah Saw modular patch. I own a JP8000 & it's pretty close. If you bump the poly up much, it does get a little greedy with the DSP...