STS samplers read banks from HD

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Hi,

The market of good quality sample libraries becomes larger everyday. The banks are 1GB large frequently. What I'd like to say is that the STS samplers should have the ability to read samples from hard disk instead (or alongside) from RAM. For now it's the only thing I would improve in the samplers (of course besides all the bugs)
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Yeah, disk streaming like giga or EXS24, or halion, or, well, almost every other sampler there is
Nisse

Post by Nisse »

Couldnt agree more.

The only thing I have to say to this suggestion is: Yes, please.
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind.

/Mahatma Gandhi
spiderman

Post by spiderman »

and more than 4 velocity zone and a tweakable xfade between velocity zone....
Jngaelin

Post by Jngaelin »

I love this idea'!!! :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jngaelin on 2003-09-10 08:14 ]</font>
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

On 2003-09-09 06:57, spiderman wrote:
and more than 4 velocity zone and a tweakable xfade between velocity zone....
You can fudge > 4 velocity zones by having another key group with the same note range as the key group that's already 'full up'...but you then hit the limit of (IIRC) 11 velocity ranges for a particular key group.

Does streaming samples off the HDD work OK? I'd have thought that samples would have to be in RAM, else there'd be a degree of latency (?)

Royston
Nisse

Post by Nisse »

Counterparts,

Yes, streaming samples from your HD works very well with the fast HDs of today. It also enables you to run extremely large programs that cant fit into most computers ram. This is definately something thats missing from SFP.

/Mahatma Gandhi
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

On 2003-09-12 07:08, Nisse wrote:
Counterparts,

Yes, streaming samples from your HD works very well with the fast HDs of today. It also enables you to run extremely large programs that cant fit into most computers ram. This is definately something thats missing from SFP.
Thx for the clarification, Nisse.

Shall we 'lobby' Creamware for this, then? :wink:

There's some great instrument samples out there that would only just about squeeze into a GB of RAM, so this would be a very positive step for Creamware, IMO and something I'd be very willing to part with some hard-earned sheckles for.

STS TNG?

Royston
Nisse

Post by Nisse »

Yep, this is definately something I would part with some hard earned cash for too.

Does anyone know if this is something Creamware has thought of? If not, we ought to lobby for it.

/Mahatma Gandhi
Jngaelin

Post by Jngaelin »

Any news here ?
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Hi,

I found it in the STS5000 feature list on the new CWA site ( highlights at glance:

* Samples loadable directly from the PC/Mac CD-ROM / hard-disk

Does this mean the feature of reading samples from a HDD?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2004-04-04 16:01 ]</font>
virtualstudio

Post by virtualstudio »

I think loading them is something different than disk streaming.
I allways load my samples from harddisk.
I first make a copy from my sample cd to harddisk because sample cd gets easely dammaged.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

it may be easier just to get kontakt or whatever sampler software tho.. cuz it seems to me that part of what is good about the newer soft samplers is that each brand has a plethora of sample libraries released in their proprietory format. These newer samplers have so much programming capability, that it becomes an extremely tedious task to make your own patches. So even if CW came up with their own way of hd streaming, they'd still have to find a way to match the current lineup of sample libs released in proprietory formats because no one is going to program ALL of the instruments they want to use.
lagoausente

Re:

Post by lagoausente »

kensuguro wrote:it may be easier just to get kontakt or whatever sampler software tho.. cuz it seems to me that part of what is good about the newer soft samplers is that each brand has a plethora of sample libraries released in their proprietory format. These newer samplers have so much programming capability, that it becomes an extremely tedious task to make your own patches. So even if CW came up with their own way of hd streaming, they'd still have to find a way to match the current lineup of sample libs released in proprietory formats because no one is going to program ALL of the instruments they want to use.
It may be easire sell Scope harware and go native in all, but that´s not the point, the point is to get the same samplers as native with performance of DSP, and no latency issues.