Freq to V/Oct

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

Spindrift

Freq to V/Oct

Post by Spindrift »

To make modular understand frequency from external systems and vice versa.
It is possible for scope to communicate pitch with external systems using Silent Way since one can map the data as needed through a configuration file. However using Bitwigs HW CV Instrument is not possible, and SilentWay cannot automatically tune either since the control scheme doesn't follow any known standard. IMO it is the main obstacle from integrating scope modular in a seamless way with pretty much any external system.

Would it be possible to make 'Freq to V/Oct' and 'V/Oct to Freq' modules which applies the same mapping as Silent Way does so one can interface directly between scope modules and sequencer/eurorack?
As a programmer, but somewhat ignorant about how the SDK works and DSP in general, it would seems like a fairly trivial thing to solve using regular programming. However using DSP atoms only is another matter. But if it is possible it would be a fantastic addition to scope!

Peter Drake

Re: Freq to V/Oct

Post by Peter Drake »

Great question. Talk to Mehdi at SpaceF. I have related needs and can contribute ideas, testing, and money in this direction.

dawman

Post by dawman »

That’s a dream I’d love to see too.
I quit using SilentWay because it only worked internally and nobody was really building modules or devices to take advantage of that.

There’s so many converters now with DC Coupled outputs or modifications to existing units.
A Mutec Clock and a Black Lion modded ADA8200 is an impressive combo.

A16U is also very worthy still.

Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

I'd also chip in if I can in any way if it seems doable.

@dawman Are you using one of those solutions? I was pondering it, but I figured ideally you don't only want DC-coupling but modular level signals as well. Otherwise you need to have an interface to interface with the interface to pad/boost signals, so Expert Sleepers ES3+ES6 seemed well worth the money.