Putting SCOPE directory under version control

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

sunmachine

Putting SCOPE directory under version control

Post by sunmachine »

I thought the fresh installation of SCOPE 7 is a good opportunity to put the SCOPE folder under version control using git.

With that, it'll be possible to track what files are changed by installers for example and to go back to a previous state of the SCOPE folder if something goes wrong.
I guess it will also come in handy if I screw up a preset file and have to revert it. Or a Modular patch. Or a project file...

Here I was using just the command line tool to add the proTone files to the git repository after putting them into place:
(There are also GUI tools that integrate with the Windows Explorer (like TortoiseGit for example) and make it easier for people who are not familiar with the command line).
git-1.png
git-1.png (45.66 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
Here's the log after doing the initial installation, importing my key file and adding Six String as well as proTone:
git-2.png
git-2.png (43.99 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
Now I could easily go back to the state of the fresh installation by checking out the corresponding commit and start again from that point for example.

I guess this could be nice when you demo a device and then want to get rid of the installed files if you don't like it or don't really need it.
To not mess up your installation in the first place, you could create a new branch and install the demo on that branch. Now to get rid of the demo you just need to checkout (switch to) the master branch again and delete the demo branch.
dante

Re: Putting SCOPE directory under version control

Post by dante »

good idea !
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

This is an awesome idea! Connect the repo to an private online service and you have your installation backed up in the cloud. Easy restore when reinstalling even if you wipe the OS. I've used Assembla and Visual Studio Team Services, both of which are really simple and free.

SourceTree is an even simpler alternative to TortoiseGit worth considering
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

w_ellis wrote:This is an awesome idea! Connect the repo to an private online service and you have your installation backed up in the cloud. Easy restore when reinstalling even if you wipe the OS. I've used Assembla and Visual Studio Team Services, both of which are really simple and free.

SourceTree is an even simpler alternative to TortoiseGit worth considering
I didn't see a free option on the Assembla page. Did this change?
My SCOPE machine aren't online anyway, but for other things that might be a nice thing.
Any special reason why you would prefer it to github or Bitbucket?

SourceTree is probably great, too! I tried it several years ago on OS X.
Does it come with Windows Explorer integration as well?

Here's the link by the way, if anyone is interested: https://www.sourcetreeapp.com
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

When I was using Assembla it was free, but apparently no longer! I use Github plenty, but you have to pay for private repos. Bitbucket is also a good option for free private repos. Ultimately they're all the same for basic git hosting, it's only when you get into the extra features that they differ.