Disk space viewer (Space Monger)

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

spacef

Disk space viewer (Space Monger)

Post by spacef »

Another really nice app for disk space analysis...
It is the graphical representation which fits me.
it's called Space Monger (url below)
I have used the free 1.40 on my pentium 4 and it prooved extremely useful to see what files/folder you can remove when you need disk space.

For example to remove unecessary install folders, forgotten sample libraries or big downloads on your C Disk..

this url below is not always easy to find, because you mlight not know that the "old v 1.40" is the last free one. it crashes sometimes (when you delete files from the Space Monger itself...) but i like it a lot.

http://www.sixty-five.cc/sm/v1x.php

I hope it's ok to post windows apps here, I think they are useful for any scope user and computer musicians in general...
Neutron

Re: Disk space viewer (Space Monger)

Post by Neutron »

This is the same sort of thing and free.

http://windirstat.info/
spacef

Post by spacef »

mm?; you think so ?
very different details on the interface though (at first sight)
i think none has folders/file names directly on the graphs and browse inside it (it's like matrioshkas.... russian dolls: you can go inside a folder / subfolder ). + file manips on the graphs too.
valis

Post by valis »

I've used both but found windirstat works fine here. The trial period lapsed on the other and I didn't have a compelling reason to buy. However I've had this discussion with someone else who preferred Space Monger. I think at some point we even discovered a 3rd app that had yet another way to present the datastructure, but I don't seem to have it installed any longer.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

was it sequoiaview?
its quite old but it works well for viewing disk hogs.
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

We use Space Monger with Company's dev and test servers (virtualized server at disposal are limited in terms of disk space - and disk perf! for DBMS!!) and it helped me again today.
It is really a great app. You can be quick and efficient to delete old stuff and lighten backups. Good to do a monger session before defrag.
gustav

Post by gustav »

I was on the space monger wen site and tried to dl the 4.1 - but there is only a *.php file !
valis

Post by valis »

The php file is the download page you're linked to not the download itself. Try a different browser if you can't sort it out easily. Btw my meaning above was that I think all of these apps are useful, I perhaps stuck with windirstat due to using it first (or because I'm cheap!)
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

I also think all these softs are useful, whichever is used, and particularly when dealing with multi-user env when everybody has its own work space but some do not clean their stuff properly and regularly.
It would be cool to have like a soft that could try/catch mailing users with the total amount of space they use on that specific station, giving only the detail for the biggest files stored on the drives. hmmm, got to try that...
spacef

Post by spacef »

I personally prefer the boxed view rather than the colorful gradients, that's why i'm with space monger on this one (it is the version 1.40 which is still free, normally).

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/sc ... ts.shtml#3
this one looks great and has stats per file type and other features, if there was one to buy i would probably go for this one.
lostrack

Post by lostrack »

#thankyou both - very much..

These tools are incredibly useful!

pat yourselves on the head for making someone's day a bit better!

tom
alien612

Post by alien612 »

Try to use this disk space reporting tool. It will do disk space monitoring.