Is the School burning or late on hollidays? :)

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

zezappa

Post by zezappa »

First of all I would like to congratulate and thank a lot Nestor and Chris for gratefull been giving their time and knowledge to us, and all of you, why not?
I also would like to contribute myself to the knowledgebase as I've find today (what a shame) in this zone of the forum, however it seems that Nestor's project didn't get enough feedback (mine fault,too) on the others.
Well..., not to bother you so much what I'd like to ask you for would be about
---- suggestions for some books or links where to get some Tips/Tricks on recording/mixing/mastering ----
which I lack to better results with SFP/Cubase within the digital domain (only a DAW). I mean several information I've been finding is relating to Pro studios which is not my case. I know there's no "holy" rules and each one takes a personal way of working but when, as my case, although virtual looks very similar to real devices, they're not exactilly the same. My point is so much things are possible with it that, for me as newcomer in DAWs (not to music playing/studying) and working and learning alone, many questions appear to myself and many of them probably so basic but essential to get an eficient way of working and getting the best.

I'll thank all the help, cheers
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Hi zezappa,
it is nice that my workshop and Nestors knowledge could help you. I will sort out some books for you and give you the titles.
CU
Chris
zezappa

Post by zezappa »

Thanks a lot Chris, I'll keep waiting and please understand why I ask for this, in fact, I can't find any book to take a look for, in book stores around here. And shopping online may be turn in a big deception, so... I'll faith you.

cheers, Zé
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Thanks Zezappa. Well, I’m far from being an expert at all… I’m just learning with you, most of the material you read posted by me, are bits of some great engineers and truly gurus of the digital.

The involvment has been rather poor, this is true, but people do not have the time for much more than that. Let’s be perseverant and you’ll see how they are going to start coming more offen. We have to offer a bigger chose of knowleges and people will need it as I do.

Book suggestions:

Everything from Paul White, related to what you want to know. He’s clear, concise, jargon-free, honest, and extremely experienced in what he does and writes. He’s one of the leading hardware-software reviews writers today. You can also get much knowledge from Sound&Sound magazine, in which he works.

I also recommend you to go to Computer Music site, where you can find many directions to books and knowledge and, of course, read this, Planet Z forums… there are much than what you may think there is… Good luck.
zezappa

Post by zezappa »

Hi! Nestor
Thank you a lot for answering, I obviously understand that lack of time is one of the biggest problem to all of us. I've been trying to read the more I can (including several books from P. White, of course). At this moment I realize that my problem can't be solved just with reading. I need to find somewhere to learn, to talk with people and show them some material, even if it's not produced and mastered as I'd like.
Perhaps I'll try to find where (maybe here...?) and how to show some of my work, at least to get some people telling bad things about. :wink:
Thanks people
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

put up a tune, and keep askin' questions about it. That's as best as learning gets! And it's available on PlanetZ!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Ken is right, this is a great place to learn by practice. Common, put up a song into the Music Forum, and ask us what do we think, this will get started a whole process you don't even spect to be there... :smile:
zezappa

Post by zezappa »

I'll try doing that but, men, so much things to pay attention that I get no time :smile:
I'm really learning over here. I'd just never listened to songs where they are, but now I know, I'll try to put some demos of mine, even neither produced nor masterized.
At this moment all my work are just lots of midi files, the trouble now is to get them in audio only and this is what I'm not getting to. I'm sure you can understand what I'm talking about.
Let's do it, cheers. :wink: