WHO IS GOING TO TEACH WHAT, TELL US PLEASE

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

SUGGESTION ON HOW TO ORGANIZE THE STUDY:

Those with more knowledge on a particular Headline, will open the subtitles of this particular Headline topics and its subtopics, giving the first teach, pointing out: references, links, ideas, suggestions, commentaries, and even passing us some basic homework to be done with Pulsar not to forget the practical side!

So, that way we go together to search for those topics and links reading them, studying them, learning, wondering about them and then, posting our own questions and findings about.

It is important to start every topic from a RADICAL CERO – which is essential here – till the topic matures and we can so get into deeper aspects of it. Remember we can always come back and write about new findings, suggestions; ask more complex questions as we study and learn in the future.

Even if next week we are studying something else, these threats will obviously keep open, so everybody can still go on… this is way it’s so useful what we are starting here!

In practical terms, we could do something like this, for example: Kensuguro and Retro open the following subtopics (next 6th of May, and always writing the date at the beginning to know where we are, in this case 6/5/02):

· 6/5/02 Basics of Audio Theory
· 6/5/02 Introduction to the Physics of Audio
· 6/5/02 Introduction to Acoustics

Understanding they are, among us, those who can explain it and get everybody else introduced into these three topics because they know better than us, they should be the leading teachers here for those particular topics.

This should be done every Monday by the one or the ones who are going to lead the topics. Lets say, the Teachers of this particular class.

Please, post here what you are going to teach go get organized, so we create a final list, till the end of this 2002.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
cook

Post by cook »

Lets get practical:
Some contributions may be text only (about acoustics, audio theory, physics of audio...); but some are destined to become tutorials like the one Subhuman posted 'How to make an infected kick' or like the tutorials we know from Photoshop-experts for -users. Means, Step 1., 2.,... with screenshots. It's perfectly possible here, HTML-technically.

'How to automate the Pulsar Synths with and without hardware controllers.' would interest me as a beginner. or
'How to get my STS to work.' From Zero, then to be updated to the experts stages. Part 1, 2, 3.
Practically.
If somebody tell's me how the automation of Pulsar-synths -'...'(variables,lfo's, etc,...knobs), really works, ( I tried to record the movement-of-controllers-by-mouseclick into the sequencer - it didn't work for me till now),
I try to do a usefull tutorial with screenshots - for a start.

But maybe u're thinking of more advanced stuff, Nestor, he?
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

I'm not too clear on what you mean by "audio theory". Physics is pretty straight forward, that won't be a problem.(probably throw in some math too)

Anyway, please clarify what you had in mind about audio theory. :smile:

I'm also assuming that "physics" has to do with the origin of the sound and "acoutstics" pointing to what happens beyond that. Like dispursing, reflecting, etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2002-05-02 14:45 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Great idea Cook, I’m with you completely. Useful to use HTML for posting images when needed; probably most topics would not need this though, but for synths and so on would be great.

Ken, neither I don’t know what “Audio Theory” means really, I’m just following Retro’s advice on going with this. This is up to you, cos this is one of the things you know best.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Then to me, it seems dividing all the "fundamental" type of things like this would be logical:

Basic sound generation (physics)
Sound travels (acoustics)
Sound enters ear (the biological ear)
The brain interprets (psycho acoustics)
Then you can go further into congnitive science (musical learning and creativity), or leave that for later cuz that in itself is a pretty big subject.
Retro

Post by Retro »

Sorry about the vague "Audio Theory" term. It was meant to be a blanket term to cover all the topics Ken just listed above :smile:

Looks like we're off to a good start anyway... I just hope people will ask lots of questions if they don't understand something. This in itself will make the whole exercise worthwhile.
EarlyFirst

Post by EarlyFirst »

when is come to routings
help with deciding how to incorporate other software etc.. I can help..

Also on the topic of mixing I can help alot with tips/tricks etc..
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

How about a lesson on acoustics from the reverberating man himself?? :grin: I'm excited!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

That would be great Early, thanks! :smile:
EarlyFirst

Post by EarlyFirst »

Class 1
http://www.avatar.com.au/courses/PPofM/INDEX.html
>It is designed as an introductory course for students of music and covers what I consider is the necessary basic material needed for working in a recording or electronic music studio. <

this is a good source of info.
if people give more detailed questions the links will be more geared to the subject.
caleb

Post by caleb »

Wow! Heaps of stuff there EarlyBird. Thanks for that.

I'll have a read over the weekend.
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.
EarlyFirst

Post by EarlyFirst »

So what that too much?

I have lots of info to share...
wayne

Post by wayne »

Thanx Paul :smile: