Questions about big sound for real drum

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Re: Questions about big sound for real drum

Post by dawman »

I also agree with the FMR RNP dual input mic pre.
But using sidechaining works really well for me but I am mixing Hardware synths into a project window that always find their way to the top of a mix.
Try a Limiter with Sidechaing maybe, or a Vintco/DAS Comp with higer ratios, as they seem to become Limiters after certain threshold settings.
RA

Post by RA »

Just had to give a reaktion....good deep in your face drums....

There's a lot what will help:
Do you have a drummer and a TUNED drumkit which sound good? (maybe weird question to ask ;-) For example i hate the double skinned/oil skins on drums...tuning is 40%, the player 50%, recording 10% ;-) haha
What mikes do you use? Omni's have better low end.....but with good cardoid you can make good sound.....now chinese mikes then....what do you use?
Don't close-mike!!!!....try miking the kit with 4 mikes and more space from the kit so the low end can develop....(glyn john's technique)
Is the placement of the kit in the room good????? If you place it wrong there is NOTHING you can do about the sound!

Use the overheads not as overheads, but as totals....it's a different approach....you don't want only cymbals....if placement is right, everything tuned and you have someone who can play, you can have a GREAT sound with 4 mikes.....2 totals, 1 snare, 1 kick.....compress the totals with for example the dNa-compressor ;-).....and give it nice EQ with the dNa-equaliser.....just try setting until it oemphssss.....don't look at the values....just go crazy until you have a great, dynamic full and in your face sound....

even though i created those plugs for a reason, it's not all PR.....cause essentially you can do this also with good hardware...
I just love recording drums ;-) and just had to post something ;-) Hope some of this will help
Ray out.....goodnight peeps
- We're freaks about gearz and methods -
More on dNa: http://dnamusic.nl
dawman

Post by dawman »

You would love the sound of Carmine Appice on King Kobra's latest Frontier Records session.
It's probably the best drum tracks I have heard in years.
I also love a big kit, and it sure helps having the original Power Drummer from the 60s thumping away too.
He did so well, it's probably why he had shoulder surgery a few months later.
I mean this guy can play. And he is crazier than any of us. A real trooper.

http://www.carmineappice.net/index.php
hubird

Post by hubird »

nice juke box he has in use :D
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

guppy wrote:I have this problem with Samplitude:
Each output is stereo, and need to be pan if mono.
As I like to pan from the sequencer, I always output guitars and other channels to a stereo output, and leads me to use a stereo asio output for nothing...
I'm wondering why they never changed that.
Reaper can output individualy what we want, and is more useful on this part.
I'm thinking more and more to switch to Reaper.
In samplitude, juat change the track to mono.
Right click on pan knob.
No need to pan.
guppy

Post by guppy »

Very nice , thx !
I was searching for this option since many times :)