Can I ask a Music Theory Question?

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

YISH313z

Can I ask a Music Theory Question?

Post by YISH313z »

I am getting back into my tangent on getting my compositions to sound Damn good rather than mundane and average, but I have always tussled with Chord Theory or specifically Progressions. Aside from the usual things found on the web that help tremendously, I thought I would ask you guys in aid on this perplexing issue.

I am currently writing a Ballad in the key of C Minor/Eb Major(The song switches to Major at the Bridge),

Upon finally getting to the Chorus of the song neither C Minor or Eb Major lends itself to an illicit emotional response, specifically as the Diatonic Root Chord of the First Bar of the Chorus...but Lo and behold I stumbled upon the Ab Major Chord, which is the Major IV of Eb Major and the 6th of the C Minor.

This lead me to Spell out the Ab Major Scale and I found the Eb Major was the V of that Scale,

Does this have any significance in regards to modulation perhaps?

Both of these scales share 4 common Chords

Ab Maj as IV and I
Eb Maj as I and V
Cmin as vi and iii
Fmin as ii and vi,

Also Gmin albeit Diminished in the original tonic
Last edited by YISH313z on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil B

Re: Can I ask a Music Theory Question?

Post by Neil B »

Nowhere near my music rig at the moment, and not particularly awake either, but with AbMaj you could incorporate Bb (or is it BbMin) and then go to G Maj - gives a sort of monastic feel but may provide the emotion you need, especially if vocals carry the mood.
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

Please elaborate when you have time, im not seeing Gmaj in either scales only Gminor and diminished respective of the 2 scales I mentioned.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

you stubbled on the key of 5ths

is used a lot in r annd b and jazz as a circle of 5ths
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

You can trick also these into inversions using 3rds and 5ths in the bass.
You could also try adding in some 9ths in place of the ii, and so on - unless you want to avoid sounding 'jazzy'.

example - try a C maj with Eb bass or EbMaj with G bass.
avoid using 'blocky' tonic chords.

I'd also try using C Aeolian scale (Eb maj starting from C to C) for melodies.

Have fun,

Greg