did you now? series

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

did you now? series

Post by kensuguro »

I'll be posting some nifty tidbits that I've picked up over the years... it's funny, 10 years ago I knew exactly what I knew that other people didn't know. Now, I'm not so sure.. But given that I've gathered knowledge at about the same pace, there must be a lot that I know that noobs don't know. So, I thought it'd be interesting to give it away, one by one, whenever I remember a particular trick.

Did you know, that after you decimate something, you can overdrive it to make the effect more pronounced? Sample reduction artificially introduces artifacting (aliasing). Artifacting is the mirroring of harmonics that occurs, in this case artificially, because the sample rate is reduced, and therefore the nyquist. -> more about nyquist http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist%E2 ... ng_theorem

Also, if you want to make the aliasing more pronounced, make sure you do some treble gain AFTER the decimator, not before. That's because the new harmonics are only introduces through aliasing, so they won't be there before the sample rate reduction.
Nestor

Re: did you now? series

Post by Nestor »

Lovely Ken! :) Very interesting, actually, I do use something similar to you there. Keep going, this is really great stuff! :wink:
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*