using vst fx in scope mixers?

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bebecrystal

using vst fx in scope mixers?

Post by bebecrystal »

Hi is it possible to use a vst as if it were a scope effect? like example if i want a vst reverb as aux send on scope mixer ?

thanks
garyb

Re: using vst fx in scope mixers?

Post by garyb »

no.
the Scope dsps use completely different code. vsts can only run on the cpu. you should still be able to run the vst in your host(sequencer or bidule or...) and integrate that with the Scope environment.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Instead of using an insert: set up the mixer to use an external Aux, and send your signal out to an ASIO, in to your VST host, and back to scope again through ASIO.
bebecrystal

Post by bebecrystal »

[quote="jksuperstar"]Instead of using an insert: set up the mixer to use an external Aux, and send your signal out to an ASIO, in to your VST host, and back to scope again through ASIO.[/quote
awesome! the more i learn about scope, the better it gets :D
dante

Post by dante »

It could incur some latency/phase issue that wouldnt happen just using a Scope reverb though.
garyb

Post by garyb »

if you really wanted to, you could use the sample delay on the stm2448 and 4896 mixers to correct for that
(during mixing). Dante is correct. for a reverb though, that might not be a problem, it might even sound good.

otherwise, if you're mixing audio from a sequencer, i'd use the sequencer's aux bus and just send it out it's own asio channel. that way it hits the mixer at the same time as the rest of the audio.
bebecrystal

Post by bebecrystal »

garyb wrote:if you really wanted to, you could use the sample delay on the stm2448 and 4896 mixers to correct for that
(during mixing). Dante is correct. for a reverb though, that might not be a problem, it might even sound good.

otherwise, if you're mixing audio from a sequencer, i'd use the sequencer's aux bus and just send it out it's own asio channel. that way it hits the mixer at the same time as the rest of the audio.
just to make sure so like this: scope mixer aux send>asio2 dest >mono input bus in sequencer(since looks like scope mixer aux sends are mono)>fx channel track>asio2 source>aux return in scope mixer?

thanks
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, that's one way, but you'll have possible latency issues that way.

i suggest AGAIN, that you use the sequencer's aux send and then output that aux to it's own asio channel. then send that asio channel to the Scope mixer to mix with everything else.

any way that you route things that works for you is ok, though. just follow the signal path as though you were connecting hardware devices with real cables. if you can't follow signal paths, then you're not ready to engineer recordings and mixes. :)
bebecrystal

Post by bebecrystal »

sorry didnt realize u meant mixing the reverb with my tracks in the sequencer and just sending the fx channel track out into a regular scope mixer input, dont want to worry about latency n delays so guess ill just do that and keep the vst and scope world separate

thanks
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, i meant seperating the reverb output.

Scope supports up to 64asio channels. your sequencer can output each track and bus to whatever asio channel you wish. actually, for mixing, i suggest the you give each track in the sequencer it's own output and mix in the Scope mixer. you can still use the sequencer's busses, inserts and automation.

for tracking, i always output the sequencer in stereo, but for mixing, i use Scope. there are better tools available that way, and my computer has more headroom, with much of the rpocessing happening on the dsps. of course, you need enough dsps to fully impliment that, but once you have such a machine, it's good for a long, long time....
bebecrystal

Post by bebecrystal »

thanks for the advice finally starting to get my head around how to mix in scope, one other thing if u could please help me figure out is how exactly do i write automation in my sequencer (cubase) to control scope's mixer-faders, pan pots..?
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, you have to assign a midi cc to the fader and record the movement as midi in the sequencer. the playback of that midi track will move the fader. connect the midi out of the mixer to the sequencer midi in(dest). assign a midi track to the Scope midi. connect the sequencer midi out(source) to the mixer's midi in. you can put another pair of sequencer midi modules(or more) in the routing window if you want to seperate instruments from the mixer, or if you need more midi channels, as long as the sequencer is closed when you do so. similarly, the asio modules can be changed or the number of i/o on them can be changed, but the sequencer must be closed. to change connections/routing however, it's no problem to have the sequencer open. also, there are midi tools like mergers in the routing window midi menu.

you can also use automation in the sequencer itself. if it's for something like a pan, you might want to send the thing panned out a stereo bus and then record the pans with the sequencer's automation. easy.

the sequencer is just a fancy multitrack machine that also records midi. think of the asio i/o as a hardware recorder's jacks. midi is the same. Scope functions exactly the same way as hardware does. it's the same as using jacks and cables in the real world. if you understand the basic functions of the studio and how things are connected, you should be able to do most anything you imagine.