Hardware Contol of STM mixer with M-Audio Keystattion Pro88

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Hardware Contol of STM mixer with M-Audio Keystattion Pro88

Post by fraz »

Current project in Scope 5 software with Scope Pro card and Pulsar 2 but using Pulsar 2 snake cable instead of Scope Pro.

Pulsar 2 MIDI A Source - Sequencer MIDI Destination 1

Seq MIDI source 1 - Pulsar 2 MIDI A dest.

This is the MIDI side of my project and the Keystation Pro 88 is connected vis USB and MIDI in and out into Pulsar 2-

Mixer in Scope is STM2448 with Min (MIDI in) and Mout (MIDI Out)-not connected yet.

It may be best if you can give a step by step guide how you would do this using the enigma software for KSP88 as I have messed it up every time I've tried.

What I was trying to do was connect the last fader on the right hand side on KSP88 to the master fader on the STM2448 mixer. I'm sure I'll get there in the end..... :lol:
dawman

Re: Hardware Contol of STM mixer with M-Audio Keystattion Pr

Post by dawman »

First you need to attach a MIDI Monitor and watch the MIDI info you are
sending into Scope.
Anyone who is going to do lots of MIDI CC work should use the RoyT. module,
but use it outside of Modular. I will explain how to install the folder below,
and then the strange process I use for using modules from Modular,
in the routing window instead of the Modular shell they were designed for.
Take the below XTools folder, and place it here.
C:/ Scope/Modular Modules..................Restart Scope.
Open a Empty Modular Patch in the routing window, in the Modular drop
down menus you should see the folder named XTools.
Now open the drop down menu and left click/hold on to MVCmidiText+mdl.
Drag it into the upper left corner of the Scope Project Window
( outside of the Modular shell ) Release it. ...............Don't panic as you
will not see anything.
Exit the routing window, and then re open it.
It should look just like the Project Window below.

I tried to get various SDK developers and the guys at S|C to explain what
I discovered and nobody seems to know. But I care little about the science
of things, I know this works, it's a great tool, and I use it in every project now.
XTools.zip
Untitleda.jpg
dawman

Post by dawman »

I assume you have installed the only MIDI Monitor we have that is readable from a distance.

Now on your KS88 go to your faders.

Pick the first fader and move it so it's value, and relevant CC number are displayed in the KS88's LCD.

Now go the Channel Assign button on the KS88, upper left row, and assign it the same channel as the STM 2448 will be using.

Now go to the STM 2448 and right click on your Master Out Fader.
Go back to the KS88s' first Fader and move it.

You will see that CC # 73 ( first fader on the KS88 row of 9 faders ) displayed in the MIDI Monitor ( upper left routing window ) as well as the right window on the MIDI Ctrl Assignment box.

Now make sure you click the left option ( the + sign ) and store that.
Move the KS88's faders now and they should control the STM 2448s' Master Fader.

That process works exactly the same way with knobs too.
FWIW those who use the Oxygen 88 can follow the same procedures.

Esta Bien ??
fraz

Post by fraz »

Hi there Xite,

I've installed the modular 3 empty patch and followed your steps - Unfortunately I get "invalid MIDI value" accross the top of the screen with the blue writing and if I click on the yellow patch plug I get an error message from windows "EXCEPTION" nil reference on left side of '.' as a result of expression "<expr>(<expr>)"

Not sure if this is due to the way I set something up or if it due to not using modular 4 as you have in your pics - But it is one step further forward than before -
dawman

Post by dawman »

Invalid MIDI value will change once a note is pressed on the KS88.
Make sure the Scope MIDI Source module is followed by a MIDI filter. THis will filter out excessive MIDI sqwuaking and active sensing jive.

You need to click on the Monitor once in the lowest left corner, then disregard the nil message and right click on the very very lowest left corner again and you will see the Remove Device option, disconnect option, etc.

Just keep messing with it and you'll find just how grand of a monitor it really is.

Send a jpeg of your project window so I might understand more
fraz

Post by fraz »

Yes I think a jpeg of my project would be a good idea - Which is the best graphic software for me to do this?

A few years ago I tried to do this and when I uploaded the image it was so massive the moderator here removed it - Another thing I messed up.... :lol: ........ but with a little help I can get this sorted so I can communicate here on the forum more effectively.... :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

Load project..................hit " Print Screen " key on your QWERTY ( usually upper right corner ).
Open in Paint
Re size the image with a value of 65 horizontal
and then 65 vertical.

I was even more lame with PC apps than you are 5 years ago.
I was helped by everyone here, so I owe it to the forum to help.
It was an excellent learning tool.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Hi,

I've found the print screen button on my qwerty - varies from keyboard to keyboard - is this a single press on it's own? - or in conjunction with another key? then .... :D ......is the JPEG output automatically? btw I found paint in the accessories as a windows program - I'm on XPSP3 for Scope -

step by step here please - EDIT - :lol: ..... I have managed to get the project image into paint.............................. :lol: ........ And it is uploaded but it may be too big - Please let me know how much too big - Sorry if this causes offense btw - Just made up it is online. For the next pic I'll make it smaller if I can - Maybe 80% of what it is now.

I'll work through your guide from the top again now I know I can get the image into paint, then onto USB stick and then into the fourum here on another PC. You did mention 65 lines vertical and 65 lines horizontal which confused me. Like mentioned above the image was just exported out of paint as it was - There is a percentage scale for the size of the picture so I could alter this to 80% - Would this be best? - I can see this being used alot actually.......... :lol:
Attachments
Scope Project
Scope Project
Scope Project.JPG (135.14 KiB) Viewed 15663 times
Last edited by fraz on Wed May 04, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

That's way huge.
And why haven't you connected the MIDI Monitor.........?
Your KS 88 is the Pulsar MIDI Source module, that should go into a MIDI Filter, then to the yellow circle connection in the Monitor.....

You don't have to have the MIDI FIlter, but the active sensing data really is a waste of life and time.
fraz

Post by fraz »

The MIDI monitor hasn't been connected yet as I was seeing if I could actually get the project image into Paint then upload it, which I have done but it is way too big.

The active sensing you refer to being a waste of time and life - ? please explain...
Filter connected 50% previous file size.jpg
Filter connected 50% previous file size.jpg (75.74 KiB) Viewed 15655 times
OK, I connected the filter and have uploaded the JPEG and reduced it to 50% of the previous size - This is better....
Last edited by fraz on Wed May 04, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Hook up your MIDI Source module and connect it to the stock Creamware MIDI Monitor and just watch the endless stream of worthless information.
RoyT's monitor has AS Filtering built in.
But still IMHO it's always a good habit having 4 x MIDI FIlters.
One for Seq. MIDI Source, one for Pulsar MIDI Source.
One for Seq. MIDI Destination, and one for Pulsar MIDI Destination.
Then add the Project Prest List device to the routing window.
Now a simple button push on the 17 KS88 buttons can re route MIDI in realtime.
A whole new configuration can be used.

Also. In Paint, look for the little blue dots on the picture, and latch onto one so you can get rid of the wasteful white space that takes up so much space.

CiaoMein
fraz

Post by fraz »

I will try that out soon but in the meantime I just pressed loads of buttons as I was frustrated and restarted the M-Audio KSP88 and a flash on the screen came up in the MIDI monitor- control change, ch 16, ctrl 64, value 0
fraz

Post by fraz »

By stock Creamware MIDI monitor are you referring to the MIDI monitor you got me to create?
dawman

Post by dawman »

The one that came in your MIDI drop down menu that says MIDI Monitor.
It's tiny.
I prefer a man sized monitor.
The thought of sitting in front of a PC
and staring at a DAW doesn't work well for me.
I create the music from the keyboard and I can control everything from there.
So these miniature devices are not for me.

You really need to edit and repost the jpegs. Nobody will want to read
across the screen.
Save those jpegs, then in Paint you'll notice the little blue dots in the lower
right hand corner. Grab one and collapse the size of the picture by dragging it
to a point where the white/blank wasted space can be eliminated.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Ah Yes I found the little MIDI moinitor. As far as paint is concerned on my laptop with Windows 7 I can resize the image to eliminate the white space - So that should be that bit sorted out......

Also use the paint in XP
Last edited by fraz on Thu May 05, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

You can Cut ( scissors ) the excess areas on w7. Then go to image and use %
for a better fit.
Paint in w7 changed just like everything else in the world of software does,
I hate it. They just can't leave things alone.
Another reason why Scope is sacred to me.
fraz

Post by fraz »

I have managed to make the MIDI monitor work so when I right click on the fader in STM mixers I can assign a control then press the + button etc.... move the fader and see the MIDI monitor value go up and down - alter the MIDI channel in the mixer etc.... and see it represented in the MIDI monitor....... If the MIDI channel in STM mixer is set to OMNI (all) the MIDI monitor still show channel 1 .

I still haven't been able to assign a controller on the Keystation Pro to the Scope mixer.....

On Keystation pro there is a double button press to initiate MIDI-USB - Now is this meant to be activated or not? - Or does it not matter? -
dawman

Post by dawman »

Try and not use the weak USB-MIDI jive.
MIDI is meant for MIDI, USB is a great way to power the unit w/o using a cheezy wal-wart.
If the LCD is showing the words USB-MIDI, reset to factory defaults and remove that cheese.
Use the Pulsars hardware MIDI In.
When a protocol has to go from USB 1.0----2.0----and now 3.0, that is a sign of lameness.
The fact is that USB is perfect for powering units, and great for Flash RAM devices.
I tried USB MIDI w/ an 8 x 8 hardware unit, and a MOTU unit too. Every now and then weak signals, stuck notes, etc.
I have little patience for instability so I went back to hardware and haven't seen a stuck note since then.

Set the STM 2448 to a certain channel, and then assign all associated hardware control surface knobs and faders to the same channel.
You don't need the KS88 knobs and faders to all be the same channel.
Certain controllers are assigned to certain hardware/virtual devices.

You need to read the KS88s' manual a few times and pay close attention to the upper Group A buttons. Default to factory, USB+MIDI, Global Channel assignments, etc.etc.
Many important features reside there.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Definite progress is being made - I've hooked up a MIDI merge into the MIDI monitor (xtools) - Using seqencer midi source 2 a connection had been made to one of the synths on the card and when keys are pressed MIDI messages are displayed in the midi monitor. When the keys are de-pressed the MIDI messages stop.

however a connection from sequencer midi source 1 has been made into pulsar 2 midi a destination (midi in on pulsar card) and the midi messages just won't stop eventhough no keys are being pressed. Is this meant to be like this? - Just thought I'd ask here.

I'm going to go over it all again and hope to make further progress......

edit - Just located the cause of the midi monitor that flickers alot - It's the connection sequencer midi source into the PULSAR 2 MIDI A DEST that causes this - The remedy? - edit - Just added a filter between the two and put X's in filter menu and the flickering has stopped - is this the correct thing to do?
fraz

Post by fraz »

Will read the KS88 manual again -

On the MIDI monitor side of things - Am I meant to be able to monitor the MIDI from an internal soft synth out of Orion for example?