How to sync BPM between cubase and sfp ?

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Stompa81

How to sync BPM between cubase and sfp ?

Post by Stompa81 »

Hi,
I was just wondering if there is any way to "sync" cubase to sfp. When I go into the sync settings in cubse it talks about Asio sync , midi sync, MMC etc etc, and Iv' e got no idea which one i should be using.

Should SFP provide the clocking to cubase or the other way around?

What im trying to achieve is having my delay and other BPM reliant fx in scope be in time with the song.

System specs: SFP 4.0 professional, Cubase 5, Behringer Ultragain pro 8 Digital ADAT box, Virus TI desktop , 61 key Novation Remote SL.

Basically I just want to get all the above hardware in sync with each other. I have been using the hardware for a while and am starting to notice some latency differences between them

Thanks in advance for any help :)
Neutron

Re: How to sync BPM between cubase and sfp ?

Post by Neutron »

set cubase to use midi sync out on your scope midi driver. then make sure sync is turned on in the transport bar.

double check that scope is recieving clock by using the midi monitor.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Is that you want when changing tempo in cubase, the (for example) tempo based delays change at the same time ?

If it is, I believe you need to set the project synchronization in the Cubase device menu -> Cubase master to send MTC (midi time code) to the right midi output then in Scope, you take the MTCtoclk module link to the right midi input and connected to the devices which have a clock input..... BUT (!) I just check : the scope delay haven't a clock input ! The clock in Scope is for synchronizing modules like asio or VDAT...etc... Synchronize audio, not midi, even if audio is synchronysed via a midi message... :roll:
So if you want to change the tempo based delay, I don't know how to do ! Sorry ! __________ :D __________

But when you change the time base of a delay, you'll hear some clicks... Except if it is with a tapedelay...
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
Stompa81

Post by Stompa81 »

Thanks for the replys :)

What im trying to achieve is all based around a constant bpm. I have never really synced my DAW to SFP so I want to see if it solves a few little latency issues i come across when using Virus TI , cubase and scope all at the same time. The main issue is the Audio in cubase is out of sync with the Virus TI (coming through ADAT) at times. The problem i suspect lies between cubase and the Virus.

I will give the suggestions above a try. Thanks again
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Explain us your adat configuration, what is master, what is slave... It looks like a time synchro problem. I believe it's better to set as 'master' the device which receives the data, isn't it ? So, set Scope as slave and your virus as master... If you didn't try that already...
Stompa81

Post by Stompa81 »

Ahhh. I have scope as master and ADAT as slave, which the Analog outs of the Virus are plugged into. I will go try switching them around right now. Never even occured to me to try that.

Thankyou :D
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

....My last message was a bit contradictory...

I believe it's better to set as 'slave' the device which receives the data, isn't it ?!!
How does it work ?