Tone advice...

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dehuszar

Tone advice...

Post by dehuszar »

I've got a song I'm working on and I've got this tone in my head but none of my current synths seem to work for what I want.

I'm looking for something that can make a grinding 8bit Atari sound, but can also have a smooth boards of canada-ish sheen to it. My intention is to get a synth that I can tweak till I get the tone right between those two ends of the spectrum.

Almost like a digital bit-crushed glokenspiel... sadly I don't have a glokenspiel. :-(

If it's works, it should make a nice ascending round of harmonies ...a lil filtering, a little tape echo w/ feedback.... booyah!

Does anything leap to mind?

Thanks in advance,

Sam
astroman

Post by astroman »

reads like you're after the Wavelenght OP8 plus Celmo's TapeSim or the SpaceF Echo3 (possibly part of Black Box) today
all 3 devices are outstanding quality - well, what did you expect anyway ? :D

cheers, Tom
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

Well I have the TapeSim (which I probably overuse), and I have echo2, which I'm a fool for not having upgraded to the BlackBox already.

Op8 sounds really sweet. It may be what I'm looking for. I also listened to those Cos & Void mp3s! Holy smokes!!!

I need ~ $10k for audio purchases. :(
Mr Arkadin

Re:

Post by Mr Arkadin »

astroman wrote:reads like you're after the Wavelenght OP8
Hhhmmm... I was thinking wavelength's uberPlastic might also cover that range. Get all of them - well worth the money even though they aren't XITE-optimised.
jksuperstar

Re: Tone advice...

Post by jksuperstar »

Or, if you use modular, you can play with sending oscillators through the decimator/bit reduction or sample rate reduction, then into your favorite filter (moog ladder is my current favorite), then on into vca land. The bit reduction or sample rate reduction will give you your grit, then the filter will restore the cream on top. You can always play with a preset patch, to find a good starting point instead of just building a synth from scratch. Then Insert your damage between the oscillators and filter. If there's more than 1 osc, you then have the choice of putting bit reduction after the osc mixer, or giving each osc it's own form of grit. Plain old distortion is also good to put there.
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

Wow, this thread sprang back to life. Funny thing is, I can't remember which song this thread was even supposed to be for. I have uberPlastic. I can always use another excuse to dig deeper into that fella.

I haven't updated my Modular to v4, but it's on my list.

Thanks for the input!
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Mod 3 will do anything you need :). But the tapesim In mod IV is very good, as are the CZ oscillators.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

btw your post was re-invigorated by spam. :D Didn't see the date of your original post.

PS. I have some presets for uberPLASTIC here:
uberPLASTIC presets.zip
(47.13 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

Dude! You rule. Thank you.
astroman

Post by astroman »

long time indeed... that reminds me on Europa from that series of plugins...
made me do those wroahb, wroahb, babababa wroaaaahbb wobble basses all night long
sh*t that was almost 10 years ago :o :D

cheers, Tom