Should I connect to....

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Acid Man

Post by Acid Man »

Hi All,

I was just wondering since my DAW is being upgraded with a Powersampler card (in combination with a Pulsar II) how to connect the STS5000 sampler when not using XTC mode.

I know how to connect FROM the Sequencer source TO the sts, however I was wondering whether I should connect from the sts to the ASIO dest module or connect to a (big) mixer and from there go to the ASIO dest module?

Any recommended set-ups?

Cheers,

Acid :eek:
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

What do you want to do?
When you use Cubase for example and mix all STS tracks with the Cubase Mixer,add effects etc. then go directly into the Asio destination. Do you want to add effects and mix all tracks with a SFP Mixer then route them to it first.
But when you want to use Cubase and a SFP Mixer route them to the Asio Dest and then from the Asio Source to your SFP Mixer.

When you won´t mix every track from your STS you can route the Master Out from the STS only to save Asio Channels.
Acid Man

Post by Acid Man »

I intend to connect the outputs directly from the STS to the ASIO dest module.

This way i can use Cubase's mixer to add effects over de different outputs of the STS sampler.

So what I need to do first is re-install SFP without XTC mode enabled.

Is this correct? (I've only been using XTC mode so far, that's why I want to make sure)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Acid Man on 2003-06-21 08:46 ]</font>
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Hmm, I´ve never worked in XTC mode and I don´t know if you must re-install SFP to disable the XTC mode but I don´t think so.
Try to disable the XTC mode in the Scope settings window. --> On the Fusion Platform window click on Set --> Settings and there you will find a "enable XTC mode" box.

Once you have routed the STS to the Asio Destination and everything is routed correct in Cubase, you should work with the STS and Cubase without problems.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisWerner on 2003-06-21 09:24 ]</font>
Acid Man

Post by Acid Man »

..Should I enable the STS inputs in the VST Inputs box also?

I have to check this since I didn't try this yet. SO just have to be sure...

Appreciate any feedback.

zezappa

Post by zezappa »

On 2003-06-21 15:18, Acid Man wrote:
..Should I enable the STS inputs in the VST Inputs box also?
Hi! answer is yes. all the inputs, whose you route something, in the asio dest module, you must enable in VST inputs in order to monitor each track where they're coming in cubase. As it seems you're with cubase VST, to monitor more than one asio input (asio dest in SFP) you must tick on Options/multirecord/active and enable monitoring each desired track in cubase mixer. Still, you have to choose in audio setup the way you want work like "record enable" or "tape type". (if you tick asio direct monitoring you'll probably can listen but not to record the incoming signals and enable plugin delay compensation for playback sync. However I think you'll only need all this if you want to record more than one individual out from STS in one take and/or to aplly VST effects in sends or inserts for those refered channels.
I hope I could do explain well, luck

...and reading the manuals can also help :smile:
Acid Man

Post by Acid Man »

Hi Zezappa!

Thanks for your reply. I work with SX, but I should be able to figure this out.

Coming from Holland I should RTFM. However we Dutch people are known for not reading the manual before installing and start working with stuff :wink:

Will let you know if it works.

Cheers,

RoonSmits

Post by RoonSmits »

On 2003-06-21 18:54, Acid Man wrote:
Hi Zezappa!

Coming from Holland I should RTFM. However we Dutch people are known for not reading the manual before installing and start working with stuff :wink:

Will let you know if it works.

Cheers,

You got it dude :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:.

I only start reading when things are fncked up. Fortunately not too often.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Ronald
Acid Man

Post by Acid Man »

Yeah that's right.

And even when things are screwed, I still not want to believe I should RTfM.

Do you have an answer for my question?
RoonSmits

Post by RoonSmits »

On 2003-08-11 17:03, Acid Man wrote:
Yeah that's right.

And even when things are screwed, I still not want to believe I should RTfM.

Do you have an answer for my question?
I don't see any reason to re-install SFP.
Just goto the settings option in SFP and untick XTC mode.

I use Logic this way: http://www.studio-sl19.com/public/routing.gif
I'm not a Cubase user, but in this case that shouldn't matter I guess.

Regards
Ronald
P-IV 3,2Ghz pc/Pulsar II/Luna II+ADAT exp./breakout box/PowerSampler/Logic 5.5.1/Yamaha CS1x.