wanted feature in future STS...

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bosone

Post by bosone »

i hope CW is reading this...
in the new sts series (when it will be born...) i'd like these features:

the possibility to "layer" two sounds and control the relative volume with a CC. i'd like even to "switch" between the two samples.
ex:i "layer" sound A and B (and C,D etc... i'd like to have more than 2 layers!). when CCn=0 i play A and when CCn=127 i play B. i'd like also to crossfade between A and B)

and additional and very interesting feature: add the possibility to switch *randomly* between the sounds in a layer! and to choose the randomness!
ex1: there are sound A and B in the layer. 90% is played A and 10% is played B.
ex2: there are sound A,B,C,D which are played with 25% probability each time.

imagine this feature with drum sets: you load 4 little different snare (hat, kik, tom..) samples in a single key and, automatically, the samples "choose" a samlpe to play every time you hit the note: very realistic, indeed!!

i hope i was clear...

PS: should i mail CW this idea?? :wink:
PPS: should we ALL mail CW to upgrade STS?? :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bosone on 2003-03-06 09:19 ]</font>
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Your randomise idea is very good ! I think it could be applied to other devices, not just the STS series. Imagine a synth where you could apply the random parameter to pitch (eg: play one octave up or down 25% of the time), or resonance etc. Sort of like a random LFO but much more powerful.

Creamware needs some new advanced ideas. Its devices are starting to look very conservative.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

how about random choice of samples, like in kontakt? So, you specify say, 4 samples, and each time you hit a key, the samples either play in a specified order, 1->4 and then 4->1, or in random. Would be lovely for hihats or shakers. (I thought of this while I was making a shaker patch)

And dammit, why doesn't STS allow for the Decay to be linked with velocity? Usually, for drums, it's logical for the EG to become just an AD envelope, in which case, release being liked to velocity isn't really relavent. You can't do this in EG1 or EG2. An AD envelope would be especially useful for hihats.
spacef

Post by spacef »

vel to decay ?
nice, nice ! (on any device, not only in sts)
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

it's kind of become second nature for me in modular patches.. it's strange I don't see it too much on premade synths because most people use ADSR. (some can switch between ADSR and AD, though, in which case velocity does get mapped to decay)