I don't know how to use my STS 4000, but don't feel unconfor

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I don't know how to use my STS4000 Sampler and it's important to admit and say so in the forum.

I mean, sometimes we don't want to say “I DON'T KNOW” because we feel we should know! This is a prejudice we all have from the way society works. But everything has a process in time and needs some dedication, understanding, thinking and working before reaching the proper stage. Nobody should feel uncomfortable because you don't know, this is something natural, we need to go by learning and we can do so, thanks to people that know far more than us and willingly want to help.

I'm absolutely sure there is very, I mean <FONT COLOR=”red”><B>“VERY”</FONT> little people taking advantage of their STS and many other devices just because we fear to say: “I don’t know”.

I don't know how to use my STS 4000 and want you to know I don't know so I can learn.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nestor on 2002-03-20 11:04 ]</font>
borg

Post by borg »

very touching :lol: but very true as well!!!

i think i get the basics now: i know the routing, played with most of the synths and other devices, connected external gear,...

i feel it's time to move on now as well. modular, STS... we'll get the hang of it sooner or later. :smile: especially with some real geniuses around...

gotta go and turn my system upside down
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
eliam

Post by eliam »

I don't pretend to be the ultimate STS geek around, but it is the device that I've used the most since I'm acquainted with CW. I find it a pleasure to work with, and I encourage you to go on with it, because this sampler is very easy to learn. I suggest you to check this thread to see the kind of work I do:
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... forum=3&31
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Thanks Eliam, I'll certainly count on you for future learning. I'm just too busy right now cos of my work, but very soon I hope to be starting doing the learning of the STS4000 in it's full.

Thanks again for your great predisposition to teach us what you have learned yourself, and help.
Cheers... :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nestor on 2002-03-20 19:51 ]</font>
mr swim

Post by mr swim »

Nestor - as you say, everyone is a learner in this game. That is actually what I find so exciting about making music with computers. We will never be experts, because there will always be more to learn as new software appears, and our interests change.

I have two major problems with my sts ( I have an sts4000 but it doesn;t seem to work, so I'm talking about my 3000).

First, when i create my own soundfonts, they will save but in the sampler always appear as new programs. This is a pain, as I find myself using more and more self-created fonts, and get very confused with which is which in my projects.

Second and far more important, I am still a real novice when it comes to all the subtle manipulations of the beast. My main problem is that I can't seem to midi adjust any of the parameters, even though my manual tells me that at least cutoff can be controlled using controller 70. Well controller 70 just doesn't seem to do anything, so making responsive realtime changes to the tonal quality of fonts just isn't happening. This is frustrating. Anyone know what is wrong ?
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

I guess Creamware can use any CC number they want to control parameters, but in the standard MIDI specs, CC #74 is used to control filter cutoff. I hope I understood your problem correctly. And I think the filter envelopes have to be set up correctly in the STS program, etc. Also, some programs don't even start to react to filter cutoff until you get to a real low data number like 40 or 50. It all just depends.
dxl

Post by dxl »

few simple reasons
it looks so big
it's not easy to program
it needs dsp
and it doesn't support giga formate
and can't control fully by midi

that is why i said creamware shoud make it's 2 years old product into history and make a up today product.
which gives creamware a new look as well.
I'm still seeing new things in life.
<p><a href="http://mp3.com/dxl">www.mp3.com/dxl</a></p>
ernest@303.nu

Post by ernest@303.nu »

DXL: agreed. Akai Sxxxx-alike aesthetics are fine for people switching over from Akai to STS but don't offer optimal user-friendliness.
So please: other (user-selectable?) interface!
10 assignable MIDI-controllers and limited controller destinations for a 'top-of-the-line' sampler is really laughable. It is a pity because the STS-engine (especially STS-5000) is competative. I don't care about the DSP usage, just use a lower STS-series sampler or lower polyphony if you don't need the features for all voices

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ernest@303.nu on 2002-04-14 10:33 ]</font>
braincell

Post by braincell »

The STS is rather tedius to use. The damn thing is so small. It would have been better if it took up the whole screen while open and with more options visible. It's nice that it works like the Akai for those who have used one. I have never used an Akai and furthermore I see no reason for Creamware (and other companies) to constantly mimic classic hardware. Yes that old analog gear and Akai samplers sounded great but that doesn't mean the interface should be the same. I found propellerheadz Rebirth to be one of the most idiotic ideas I have ever heard of. Takes as long as a 30 year old drum machine to program and loading your own sounds requires another program with a very primitive and difficult interface!
mr swim

Post by mr swim »

ReBirth was ridiculous wasn't it ? I HATED the fact that you only had to open it and it would play a nasty song for you. ReBirth is a LOT worse than the sts series though. Not that the sts doesn't have faults and stupidnesses, oh no . . .