Default Polyphony on the STS 2000P

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Neil B

Post by Neil B »

I've got the freebie STS 2000P sampler but up to now haven't needed to use it (I've used the Sample Players).
My problem is that whenever I insert a sample it has a default polyphony of 32 voices. I can change it when the sample has loaded but can't seem to set a default of, say, 3. Using big samples (up to 20Mb) I get a PCI overflow message.
Can anyone help?

Neil B
cannibal

Post by cannibal »

Hey there,

You must be using a VIA-motherboard right? If you are, there are fortunately some tweaks that can be tried.

Loading that huge samples into STS puts a huge load on the system (especially memory and bus) and I would definitely suggest coming up with an additional solution to prevent eating up all the resources.

But looking at your signature, I can see why you need that long samples :wink:

Greetings,
cannibal
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Thanks Cannibal for the friendly insult on my signature - taken in the fun spirit that it was intended.
I'm not technical enough to understand VIA's, motherboards and so on, so can you explain further?
To put the record straight:
My good old Sample Z player allows me to choose the polyphony before I load a sample so this is fine. It is the default of 32 for the STS that screws things up. Can the polyphony default be set and saved with the device?
And, to return the jibe at the signature:
I'm using Spectrasonics Vocal Samples Library and am using a large Gregorian Chant sample, with a 303 trance bass and attempting to get a new angle on club mixes! Oh all right then, I'm throwing in a few mellotrons and bass sequencer lines too!!!!
Regards
dxl

Post by dxl »

it's a useless DSP eator
I'm still seeing new things in life.
<p><a href="http://mp3.com/dxl">www.mp3.com/dxl</a></p>
caleb

Post by caleb »

Hi Neil,

Is the polyphony actually conrolled by the devices menu item?

I must admit - I'm saying this because I don't really understand the polyphony on the STS samplers myself and hopefully asking this question will answer my question at least. :smile:

When I load up the STS2000P it comes up with a default of 16 voices I think, but then when you load up a patch it individual will say 32 voices. A little confusing for the likes of me.

What happens if you set the voices for the STS2000P in the devices menu to 1 and then load up the samples. Does your problem still occur?
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Caleb,
I've had a try at your suggestion, but no luck of course.
I even changed the polyphony, loaded a sample, changed it's polyphony to 2 and then saved the whole lot! Next time I load up the STS - guess what - 32voice polyphony!
Guess I'll have to use the bigger samples on the Sample Player Z.
caleb

Post by caleb »

What a bummer Neil.

It's a pity really. Things like that can ruin your appreciation for a device altogether can't it?
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.