Sound libraries review

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

eliam

Post by eliam »

I want to start a discussion where we will share our experiences with various sample libraries... The pros and cons, quality/price ratio and personal experiences. Since they are very expensive, It would be great to know a bit about them before buying...
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

Any EMU sound libraries bought direct from the EMU store are pretty good, although a little bit on the old side and you do have to tweak them a bit and add effects if you want that sound module "sheen".

Same with the Roland company official CD (LDX, etc.) series.

I've found that most Sample CD's in the $80 to $100 range are all pretty good nowadaways. Since in that range you're usually going to be a professional looking for product from professionals, there should be no messing around.
eliam

Post by eliam »

I've heard some Emu cd samples and found them quite good over all. Although some orchestral samples were definitely too short to be workable, many seemed to be of good quality. I'm not sure though that if you pay a certain amount of money you'll necessarily get something that's worth the money...
I think that the sample banks these days are getting more and more evolved and complete... I've seen sound libraries for Giga containing no less than 8 stereo velocities per note, sampled chromatically... That begins to be something interesting, far from the 1-2 velocities gerenally offered by many (most) of the sample producers, and I don't even talk about the sampling intervals... Of course you need Giga to fully exploit the potential of such instruments, and that's a reason why I'm impatient that cw releases the scope-fusion platform, which will open my XP system for Giga... 160 voices of polyphony, at least 8 stereo outputs, 8 stereo layers, up to 64 loadable instruments per project... i can't wait!!!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I've just heard the demo of "APOCALYPSE".

It's all about voices and it's incredible! I found it to be very good. Any experience with it you guys?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nestor on 2002-03-23 15:10 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nestor on 2002-03-23 15:12 ]</font>
eliam

Post by eliam »

Voices of the apocalypse? I heard the demo. I found it impressive... Too bad the sounds of the samples were hidden behind this drum beat and techno ambiance. I want to hear the samples with no interference, out of this pop context. Anyway, I did not write to tell them, and maybe there are other demos around...
eliam

Post by eliam »

Btw, if you are interested in more evolved sample libraries discussions, check here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/cgibin/Ul ... ookie=true

Click on "sample libraries discussions" and enjoy!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Cheers Eliam, great! :smile:
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
caleb

Post by caleb »

Thank God I have AWave.

I haven't checked on it's ability to convert .gig files to AKAI S1000 or SF2, but I guess I'm going to start.

Does anyone else use this sample converter? Any comments?
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.
eliam

Post by eliam »

I think there's no way to convert .gigs into anything else, unfortunately...
If you find one, by all means let us know!
ohmelas

Post by ohmelas »

I've got a huge sample library. I've been on a quest for the ultimate acoustic drum kits. Anybody have any suggestions.

I have both Clearmountains and Drum Doctors. I need more relism.

I've been using the Hanz Zimmer library for some nice guitar and I'd like to get my hands on a great piano.

I feel that I'm going to get "the Grand" from Steinberg as a plug-in native and not worry about it any more. Additionally, I'm looking at a Halion. What do you think about that? Anybody like it better than STS or worse?
Howard Salter Dot Com
Musician, Marine Corpsman, and Father
Milwaukee, WI USA
eliam

Post by eliam »

Depending on the type of piano you need, I'd suggest that you listen to the post grandioso steinway, which is astounding to my hears... I don't have the link here, but you can go in the site that I suggested earlier in this thread and you'll find discussions on it in the sample library section.

Also, it seems that the Awave program is capable of converting from akai format to giga.
caleb

Post by caleb »

Yes Eliam - and Giga to AKAI as well.

It will have problems with velocity layers and probably some other settings as well though.
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Please ohmelas

There is already a thread named STS-x000 VS. Halion. Lets keep this discussion on track as much as possible.

Immanuel
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
Koffilit

Post by Koffilit »

i didn t try it yet but plan to buy it next month
it seems to be really amazing
check it :smile:

http://www.gigastrings.com/home.html

kof
eliam

Post by eliam »

I'd really like to have a closer look at this library! Keep us informed about your experience please!!